Aloha from Rene in Walton, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Rene in Walton, NY

aloha all, i currently live in walton ny....in the beautiful catskill mountains....and plan to relocate on october 22nd and spend the winter starting in kauai....then i plan to hop around and visit the other islands...i have a place to stay in kalaheo...i am a mature very experienced registered nurse who has emergency room experience....i have my hawaii nursing license and will be looking for some work on arrival...i am staying until mid april and if all goes well...i'd like to return every winter....since 1995 i have been living in new york in the summer and wintering in florida.... i plan to do this visit as economically as possible....i can really use help from the people on the forum...i'd like to purchase an inexpensive car when i arrive to avoid the high cost of rentals.....i've rented a car for the first week and have a budget of about $2000 to buy a car....it doesn't have to be pretty...it just needs to be legal and run.....does any one have any suggestions of where i can get one....or have one available....i'd also like to sell the car before i leave ....or better yet sell it to the next adventurer like myself...tell me how expensive is basic car insurance....will i need a hawaii drivers license to register a car??? from ads i've seen on craigs list, it sounds like you carry the registration and safety inspection from owner to next owner...is this true????....i'd also really like to spend a length of time on the big island....in the future i'll be looking for some lodging there...does anyone know of any reasonable accomadations??? or work for this registered nurse???? is it possible to inexpensively ship a car from island to island....i have so many questions....please feel free to comment...give me suggestions....has anyone else done this, and have advice....i'd love to hear from you..... we chose kauai....because of it's more rural relaxed atmosphere....we live on a mountain top in ny, and are very much attached to the land and the beauty of nature....we love to hike, golf and beach it....i love to take photos...and hunt for waterfalls....thanks all for allowing me to babble....i look forward to your comments...rene

Re: aloha from rene in walton ny

Welcome to HT and I hope you have a good transition to Kauai!

Comment

Re: aloha from rene in walton ny

Aloha rene from walton ny.

Welcome to HT.

And Happy Labor Day to you.

1stwahine
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Aloha from Rene in Walton, NY

Aloha and welcome, rene! Sending you a PM (private message.)

Comment

Welcome.
          My Nurse spouse (R.N., P.A., 2 MA degrees) is currently clinging to position at Kaiser... which is throwing our the invested in favor of 'new blood.'

Positions are around, but there's much competition. Getting the foot in the door and showcasing your skills is a good strategy.

If I ever get back to Kauai, I swear I will never leave again - for ANY reason save temporary visitation.

Consider it.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

More

Hi again rene.
            I'll try to answer some questions.
            Originally posted by rene View Post
            starting in kauai::::experienced registered nurse who has emergency room experience-A GOOD thing! ::::i am staying until mid april and if all goes well...i'd like to return every winterWhy not just Stay forever?::::i'd like to purchase an inexpensive car when i arrive to avoid the high cost of rentals::::budget of about $2000 to buy a car Should not be a problem. ::::tell me how expensive is basic car insurance EXPENSIVE!!! Can you qualify for USAA??? ::::you carry the registration and safety inspection from owner to next owner...is this true? TRUE. ::::is it possible to inexpensively ship a car from island to island::: Not an inexpensive car. Better 0ff having a car on each island (assuming frequent visits) and a comprehensive policy. USAA insures me for ANY car I drive.
            Welcome - Aloha.
            I have contacts for a B&B on Kauai in Hanalei area. Nice. East-Coast folk.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Aloha Kaonohi,

I just made my first post on this board. I feel ya on never leaving Kauai once you get here. I cling to this round rock in the Pacific like a mo'o to the ceiling.

Comment

Re: More

thanks for the info...i'll be looking for a car when i arrive...i contacted usaa, i think i'll probably be eliglible...thanks so much, rene

Comment

i'm sure i'll love kauai.....just can't wait to get there...i'm counting down the days....

Comment

Aloha Rene!

Right at this moment, I hear the doves cooing, the wind is coming in a bit from the leeward side. Semi-cloudy on the south shore, but west side looks clear from where I sit.

Someone just mowed grass so that smell mixes with a bit of plumeria from my tree.

My neighbor's TV is kinda loud, but I only hear it when I listen.

Aloha from Kauai!

Comment

sounds lovely..except..i can't even imagine being so close to neighbors that i could hear their television....i guess that'll be something to get used too....or learn to tune out.....i imagine there on kauai the populated areas are concentrated.....

Comment

Believe it or not, it is a $500K home too. Sure, that was prices before the downturn, but houses in my hood are around $400K.

There is a lot to get used to, there is a lot to enjoy. If you keep your mind open and roll with things, it can be a life-changing experience. I learn something new every day here.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                          ..i can't even imagine being so close to neighbors that i could hear their television...
                          Believe it or not, this is very true for Hawaii, probably more so on Oahu than on the neighbor islands. Houses here are built very close to one another.

This is also true for condos and apartment buildings. A long time ago I lived in a studio apartment and my next door neighbor was an old woman in her 80s. She was hard of hearing, so she turned up the volume of her television all the way. Unfortunately, the only time she watched television was at two or three in the morning. And the only programs she watched were religious programs. That scared the hell out of me! Especially when I was sound asleep and would hear someone shout "REPENT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            [...]Unfortunately, the only time she watched television was at two or three in the morning. And the only programs she watched were religious programs. That scared the hell out of me! Especially when I was sound asleep and would hear someone shout "REPENT!"
                            Remember, there are no coincidences, Honoruru! Everything happens for a reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                              I was sound asleep and would hear someone shout "REPENT!"
                              Reminds me of my ex-wife.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X