Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annoying phrases

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    So, do you say "Big Island," "Hawai`i Island," or "Moku O Keawe"?
    Originally posted by helen View Post
    It's usally referred as the Big Island.
    Originally posted by mel View Post
    I like "Big Island".
    Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    ... when I first moved over to the Big Island.
    I know "Big Island" has long been the common reference, but I've heard (mostly from musicians who live there) that there's been a strong movement to get people to call it "Hawai`i Island," despite the confusion that it can cause (mostly to people not residing in the Islands). Craig, as someone who has been a resident of that particular rock, did you ever pick up on that movement, or get any sense of whether many residents there have noticed such a concept?

Comment

I know "Big Island" has long been the common reference, but I've heard (mostly from musicians who live there) that there's been a strong movement to get people to call it "Hawai`i Island," despite the confusion that it can cause (mostly to people not residing in the Islands). Craig, as someone who has been a resident of that particular rock, did you ever pick up on that movement, or get any sense of whether many residents there have noticed such a concept?
      absolutely not. Heck there are t-shirts that say FBI (From Big Island). From a historical point however as we become culturally sensitive to all things Hawaii, it is common sense to address this island as Hawai'i, however I haven't seen or felt any movement to address this island that way.

There is a strong connection to this island however. I see lots of totally local bruddahs sporting tatoos that display the island of Hawaii. I see vinyl decals on cars that show the Big Island's shape. Like the term, "Maui Built", those from the island of Hawaii share a strong connection to the island for which they call home.

Like Avatar, I too have disconnected myself with Oahu and have found my connection to this land. There is just something more spiritually fathomable here on the Big Island that in all my years living on Oahu I could never find. The people, the land, the shores, the Aina. It's all connected here on the Big Island.

44-years I've lived on Oahu (born and raised). I feel the dirt with my hands and can tell if the soil is fertile. The Earth talks to me. I haven't had a decent conversation with Oahu as much as the philosophical words of wisdom the Big Island has taught me. I go into the waters surrounding the Big Island and it cradles me. I tell my boys to respect this land and the surrounding waters and it will nourish you. But you have to be connected to it. Arrogance will flush you out to the depths of the ocean and over the cliffs of the land.

I used to be like that when I first moved over from Honolulu. I've learned to respect the Aina, and it will respect you.

So LL what was your question? Nah!!! Joke. I haven't seen any remarkable movement to call the Big Island the island of Hawai'i.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

So LL what was your question? Nah!!! Joke. I haven't seen any remarkable movement to call the Big Island the island of Hawai'i.
        Thanks, cw. The AFK's father hails from Kona area, and I have a number of friends around Kohala, many of whom describe a similar affinity for the `aina. I have yet to visit that island. It'll happen someday.

Comment

I hate the phrase "free shipping", because I know that most likely it will not apply to shipping to Hawaii.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

"Free shipping" hardly ever happens here either. You have to read the fine print so carefully, but there's usually a "processing fee" that I truly believe is there just so they can say it's free shipping. Why do you need to charge to process? Bam, it's done!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Interesting phrases get repeated and quickly become cliches.

Some on my least favorite list:

Get out of Dodge

It's all good

Low hanging fruit.

Comment

How about Cheeeeehoooooo!!!!!

Comment

If I hear the word "Snuggie" one more time...

Comment

S N U G G I E

Comment

So, do you say "Big Island," "Hawai`i Island," or "Moku O Keawe"?
                      Hale o Keawe?

(Whew, hope I changed my avatar back in time~!)

K~=
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

S N U G G I E

T'is a frontal wedgie

Comment

S N U G G I E

You're safe (for now!), Craig. Reading it is so much better than hearing it! If I were to go with for something with arms, it'd be the Slanket. I heard it's much better quality and bigger, even though a little pricier. Also, I happen to think "Slanket" is fun to say!

Comment

I got a really great thang for keeping warm. It's a terrycloth bathrobe and when I feel innovative I just wear it backwards and Viola!! I got a Snuggie!

Comment

Here's a phrase I've been getting tired of hearing lately: There's an App for that!

Comment

Here's a phrase I've been getting tired of hearing lately: There's an App for that!
                                Our kid hears that every time she asks us to do something for her that she should be doing for herself... "Gee, I wonder if there's an app for that!"
                                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
                                X