Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Annoying phrases

Default Re: Annoying phrases

So, do you say "Big Island," "Hawai`i Island," or "Moku O Keawe"?

It's usally referred as the Big Island.

Craig - your earlier comment implied/inferred that every one on the island of Oahu does not respect the people on other islands. thats what i objected to.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Ė Sydney J. Harris

I like "Big Island".

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Craig - your earlier comment implied/inferred that every one on the island of Oahu does not respect the people on other islands. thats what i objected to.
    Okay, "Some to Most" from Oahu refer it that way then. I stand corrected

Having lived on both islands and being in sales, I saw a lot of "Attitude" from quite a few mainlanders and those from Honolulu. It starts with a friendly greeting, "Good afternoon welcome to Home Depot, what kind of project are you working on?" The remark, "I'm from Honolulu..." I don't know whether to apologize or get down on my knees and worship them.

Or from those from the mainland, "On the mainland we do it this way..." sometimes same response from those from Honolulu after they remark where they're from. I'm thinking, "This is the Big Island we do it this way" But then I don't want to get fired, so I respond, "yes we also do it that way here in Hawaii...you know building codes and such..."

Heck even I used to say that when I first moved over to the Big Island. Sometimes people just don't realize that there is intelligence and some sense of organization anywhere you go, even to foreign countries. I think this is why other countries look at us Americans as arrogant westerners. We think we know better. We may...however that doesn't give us the right to belittle others...except the French DOH!!!! Joking!!!! Hey I've been in France and have been mocked simply for being an American so this was my one and only dig

To me this is the very reason why SuperFerry failed. Not because of the lack of an EIS (someone had to latch onto something legal to fight with). If the inaugural launch came from Maui or Kauai, I'll bet the SF would have been better received. But it came from Honolulu and with it the message that the arrogance that the Kauai, Maui and the Big Island were getting fed up with was coming in on a big boat.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    It's usally referred as the Big Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    I like "Big Island".
    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    ... when I first moved over to the Big Island.
    I know "Big Island" has long been the common reference, but I've heard (mostly from musicians who live there) that there's been a strong movement to get people to call it "Hawai`i Island," despite the confusion that it can cause (mostly to people not residing in the Islands). Craig, as someone who has been a resident of that particular rock, did you ever pick up on that movement, or get any sense of whether many residents there have noticed such a concept?

I know "Big Island" has long been the common reference, but I've heard (mostly from musicians who live there) that there's been a strong movement to get people to call it "Hawai`i Island," despite the confusion that it can cause (mostly to people not residing in the Islands). Craig, as someone who has been a resident of that particular rock, did you ever pick up on that movement, or get any sense of whether many residents there have noticed such a concept?
    absolutely not. Heck there are t-shirts that say FBI (From Big Island). From a historical point however as we become culturally sensitive to all things Hawaii, it is common sense to address this island as Hawai'i, however I haven't seen or felt any movement to address this island that way.

There is a strong connection to this island however. I see lots of totally local bruddahs sporting tatoos that display the island of Hawaii. I see vinyl decals on cars that show the Big Island's shape. Like the term, "Maui Built", those from the island of Hawaii share a strong connection to the island for which they call home.

Like Avatar, I too have disconnected myself with Oahu and have found my connection to this land. There is just something more spiritually fathomable here on the Big Island that in all my years living on Oahu I could never find. The people, the land, the shores, the Aina. It's all connected here on the Big Island.

44-years I've lived on Oahu (born and raised). I feel the dirt with my hands and can tell if the soil is fertile. The Earth talks to me. I haven't had a decent conversation with Oahu as much as the philosophical words of wisdom the Big Island has taught me. I go into the waters surrounding the Big Island and it cradles me. I tell my boys to respect this land and the surrounding waters and it will nourish you. But you have to be connected to it. Arrogance will flush you out to the depths of the ocean and over the cliffs of the land.

I used to be like that when I first moved over from Honolulu. I've learned to respect the Aina, and it will respect you.

So LL what was your question? Nah!!! Joke. I haven't seen any remarkable movement to call the Big Island the island of Hawai'i.

So LL what was your question? Nah!!! Joke. I haven't seen any remarkable movement to call the Big Island the island of Hawai'i.
    Thanks, cw. The AFK's father hails from Kona area, and I have a number of friends around Kohala, many of whom describe a similar affinity for the `aina. I have yet to visit that island. It'll happen someday.

I hate the phrase "free shipping", because I know that most likely it will not apply to shipping to Hawaii.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

"Free shipping" hardly ever happens here either. You have to read the fine print so carefully, but there's usually a "processing fee" that I truly believe is there just so they can say it's free shipping. Why do you need to charge to process? Bam, it's done!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Interesting phrases get repeated and quickly become cliches.

Some on my least favorite list:

Get out of Dodge

It's all good

Low hanging fruit.

How about Cheeeeehoooooo!!!!!

If I hear the word "Snuggie" one more time...

S N U G G I E

Unhappy Re: Annoying phrases

Hale o Keawe?

(Whew, hope I changed my avatar back in time~!)

K~=
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

S N U G G I E

T'is a frontal wedgie

S N U G G I E

You're safe (for now!), Craig. Reading it is so much better than hearing it! If I were to go with for something with arms, it'd be the Slanket. I heard it's much better quality and bigger, even though a little pricier. Also, I happen to think "Slanket" is fun to say!

I got a really great thang for keeping warm. It's a terrycloth bathrobe and when I feel innovative I just wear it backwards and Viola!! I got a Snuggie!

Here's a phrase I've been getting tired of hearing lately: There's an App for that!

Here's a phrase I've been getting tired of hearing lately: There's an App for that!
    Our kid hears that every time she asks us to do something for her that she should be doing for herself... "Gee, I wonder if there's an app for that!"
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

When, in the process of initiating a communication, a person begins with the question,

"You know what?"

Sometimes they pause and wait, briefly, sometimes they launch into a tirade of what they assume you do not know.

Well, if I knew what you were about to say then perhaps I could determine if I 'knew what' or not. How in the world would I know?

K?
    ~ ~

Let me tell you something.

God is on our side.

Talking Re: Annoying phrases

God is on our side.
    For real?

Well, you know what?
    ~ ~

Wink Re: Annoying phrases

One that I say too often.
    "Yeah, but..." I got teased quite a bit up in Canada once.

Now for the hearing division.
    "I'll get back at'cha"
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast