RIP: Patrick Swayze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Patrick Swayze

So sad he lost his battle with cancer. This guy never seemed to want to take a day off working on his series THE BEAST when he could have gotten rest and more treatment. I tip my hat to him, always seemed like a nice guy and he was adored by his fans.

Aj

Re: RIP: Patrick Swayze

Personally I feel the work extended his life...but that's just me. Pancreatic cancer is a horrible, relentless disease. Last year it took Randy Pausch and now Swayze, both way before their times. That stinks.

RIP, Patrick, and thanks for the memories.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Personally I feel the work extended his life...but that's just me. Pancreatic cancer is a horrible, relentless disease. Last year it took Randy Pausch and now Swayze, both way before their times. That stinks.

RIP, Patrick, and thanks for the memories.
      He thought he had 5 more years, such a method actor too refusing to take treatment while filming his series because he didn't want it to alter his performance. Incredible. I've lost most of my family members to various forms of cancer, I don't hate many things, but I do hate cancer.

Aj

Comment

AJ, it's my understanding that Swayze refused to take pain meds so as not to alter his performance. I'd not heard that he'd refused treatment for that reason. And, possibly I'd not heard all the facts. As a disclaimer, I never met Swayze and had no inside information.

Comment

I've heard both about the treatment and pain meds, yet I've also heard he was filming the show while under chemo, he would then take breaks while filming, get treatment and then go right back to work. So I've heard both stories, that sounds more like him to me.

Aj

Comment

Just saw it mentioned on Yahoo and got sad

Was a fight to the finish but his situation got the best of him.

He has brought us an array of great movies and GHOST IMO would be on the top 10 list......

Would not mind seeing if Universal ever releases it his first ever movie called
            SKATETOWN U.S.A.
            was not thee best of Swayze but the last time I saw this flick was at the long gone Kam Drive In.

Comment

He was 100% pure adrenaline in Point Break.

Comment

R.I.P. Patrick

You brought us some great movies. Haven't seen 'The Beast' yet but I will.

Comment

2009 has not been a good year has it
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

RIP Patrick Swayze

Pancreatic cancer is a horrible, relentless disease.
                    My dad is one of the very few (1%) who actually survived pancreatic cancer. He was so fortunate that they found it early and he was able to have surgery before it metastasized. My understanding is that there are no symptoms - you only experience symptoms when it spreads and by then, it's too late. Dad was lucky that they found his cancer by accident during a check up for something else. He had the surgery five years ago when he was only 50 and we continue to be very thankful for every day he is alive.

My fave memories of Patrick Swayze - "No one puts Baby in a corner" (I had the biggest crush on him as an 8th grader when Dirty Dancing came out) and 'the scene' from Ghost... you know da one!
                    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

You got to give him credit as a popular lead male actor for being married to the same woman to his death.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        He was 100% pure adrenaline in Point Break.
                        Many submarine crews actually wore out their movie/video copies of "Road House". One of the very few titles that was requested to stay aboard for encores.

IIRC Steve Jobs is one of the very few "celebrity" survivors of pancreatic cancer. Maybe there's something about a dedication to one's avocation (or at least in Steve's case, being insanely angry at people) that improves survival rates.
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                          Many submarine crews actually wore out their movie/video copies of "Road House". One of the very few titles that was requested to stay aboard for encores.

IIRC Steve Jobs is one of the very few "celebrity" survivors of pancreatic cancer. Maybe there's something about a dedication to one's avocation (or at least in Steve's case, being insanely angry at people) that improves survival rates.
                          I was on the subs from Loch Long in Sscotland. We went under the ice caps. Yet when I came home, my cousin was as thin as a matchstick.

Cancer of the Pacreas.

Passed away not long after I down south to be with his wife and children.

Comment

"Next of Kin" was one of Swayze's great movies. The guy had a string of them. What about "Red Dawn"?
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                              My fave memories of Patrick Swayze - "No one puts Baby in a corner" (I had the biggest crush on him as an 8th grader when Dirty Dancing came out) and 'the scene' from Ghost... you know da one!
                              i was about the same age and i, too, had a crush on mr. swayze bcs of that movie. i'd daydream that some handsome, wiry dancer would sweep me off my feet and out of my banal, preteen life where i was overprotected by mom and grandma...

also loved mr. swayze as part of that stellar cast of the outsiders....
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X