Trash cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash cans

Well, today we acquired our third one. Bright blue. Tutu tells me it's meant for "recyclables", to be picked up every other week.

But Landlady's husband is no way going to put cans and bottles in there, forego getting his "fun money" by taking them to a center. So what are we going to put in there?

Thus far no one has even used the green one, also recently delivered.

Everyone in this house just throws it all in the dark gray can, which is filled to overflowing every collection day.

Re: Trash cans

The owners of my house sitting gig also do their own recycling. They asked the city to take back the blue can...and the city did.

If there's quite a bit of yard waste, that should go in the green can. Then the gray can won't be overflowing!

Comment

hi,we still use our garbage can's which the one we use is the old plastic one's and our's is brown so we arent able to use the new one's which you'd have to seperate it since it wouldnt work in our neighborhood so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Whoops! When we lived at IP we discovered a 2nd trashcan in our storage shed after we'd been there for 2 months. We thought, "Score, extra can!" So we just threw our overflow trash into it and wheeled it out with the gray one. This one was green. The trash people took it away and never said anything. Hope this wasn't a huge faux pax?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
          But Landlady's husband is no way going to put cans and bottles in there, forego getting his "fun money" by taking them to a center. So what are we going to put in there?
          We've had the system for a while, and these days we barely put out a 13-gallon kitchen bag a week for three people.

Beyond HI-5s the blue can is also for recyclable plastic with codes 1 & 2 plus corrugated cardboard, glass containers, and newspapers.

http://www.opala.org/solid_waste/curbside.htm

Thus far no one has even used the green one, also recently delivered.
          We have three of them, and we make our quota every two weeks. It's one of our few incentives to keep up with the yardwork. We even take neighbors' grass clippings (for composting) and fill the cans with our palm branches, bougainvillea clippings, & tree trimmings.

There's almost certainly a neighbor on your block who'd love a chance to "borrow" your green waste container once in a while. When we tackle a major pruning project we can easily fill five of them, and our personal mango-pruning record was 12.

Depending on its size and material, the green waste is composted or mulched. Every couple months we end up at the Wahiawa community garden (across from Wheeler Army Air Field near Schofield) to pick up a carload of mulch. It'd save the green waste guys some time if they'd just haul the chipper on a trailer behind the truck, grind up our green waste right there at the curb, and dump it back into the can...
          Last edited by helen; September 21, 2009, 07:49 PM. Reason: fixing quote tags
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

At least you have cans! On the Big Island we have no refuse pick up so we haul everything to the landfill or the transfer stations.

My teenaged son is now collecting Hi-5 bottles to suppliment his weekly allowance. I think that's a great idea for kids to do if they want spending money instead of complaining to their unemployed parents to give them money to burn for their social lives.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The neighbors aren't much help on this collection day. Most have put out the usual dark grey one but some folks have put out all three!! Unfortunately none of those are near enough for me to see what the truck does with them. Will it only pick up the grey one?

Comment

Albert...do your landlady a favor and find out what days each colored can goes out then post a sign near the cans so the family (and you!) will know. And, tag the cans so everyone knows exactly what goes in them. That should take no longer than a half hour...including researching days each color can is picked up! I realize the landlady's husband recycles cans and bottles for cash, but other recyclables can be tossed in the blue can. It's a small way for that household to contribute to the cause. Just my 2¢.

Comment

The county's Department of Environmental Services has a website at http://www.opala.org . To find schedules of pickups, the page to see is at this link, and scroll down to find the information for your specific area, then make a printout. (I keep a copy out in my workshop.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Will it only pick up the grey one?
                    Yup.

The Dept of Environmental Services does neighborhood visits for a few weeks after the system is started to "educate" residents who are putting out the wrong cans or putting the contents in the wrong places.
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
                    X