Books for kids...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Books for kids...

I just posted this same thing in the CLASSROOM ~ *mods merge or delete thread as needed.

~~When I voted tonight at about 8pm HAWAII was #1.

I just heard of this tonight via an email. I've posted it to my facebook and sent it out to all I know in Hawaii.

Comment

I've been posting this to Twitter since Saturday, when we were already in 6th place. By Monday morning, forget Twitter, I was getting e-mails from all over, from different groups, companies, relatives... and now, yes, we're in the lead.

Hawaii, with a population of 1.2 million, leads KY (4.2m), OK (3.6m), and AL (4.6m). By flat numbers, that's pretty impressive.

But then again, many of these other states have, I'm perhaps grossly assuming, more rural populations, less internet penetration, and perhaps schools in greater need than ours.

What I think would be awesome is if Hawaii "won" the 50,000 books, but then split them five ways with the top five states. We still get books, and even better, good karma.

Comment

I voted for KY, but I think until the end of this thing, all my votes go to AL.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Just a reminder to VOTE!

Sorry to hear you don't support Hawaii, Scriv...even Ryan's suggestion of divvying up the books. *shrug*

Comment

^^^ gee, scrivener... do you have roots somewhere else?
            as in: *My Old Kentucky Home*
            or... *Sweet Home Alabama* ???

S' okay... ya gotta do what ya gotta do...
            Ya never know, you just might inspire a new "battle cry:"

"REMEMBER JASMINE TRIAS!!!"

altho I'll still keep:

As McGarrett would say: "Book 'em, Danno!"
            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

And.... my third day of voting (for HAWAII )!!!

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Guess what, Honoruru? People can vote more than once a day. I tested it and voted 3 times today! Hence, the Jasmine Trias effect!
              tutusue, can you tell that multiple votes are actually counted?

All I see after voting is the message "Thank You For Voting"
              And then: "Visitors may vote up to once every 24 hours. Please come back and vote again tomorrow."

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                [...]
                tutusue, can you tell that multiple votes are actually counted?

All I see after voting is the message "Thank You For Voting"
                And then: "Visitors may vote up to once every 24 hours. Please come back and vote again tomorrow."[...]
                It's hard to tell. The page where one votes states: "Vote Now. Vote Often." Does that mean often as in once a day or often as in more than once a day? I don't understand web page stuff but I know there's a way to stop or block voting if, say, only one vote per day is allowed. Dunno what that's called but I think it has something to do with IP addresses. Anyway...to answer your question, musubi...I don't know so I just keep voting!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Sorry to hear you don't support Hawaii, Scriv...even Ryan's suggestion of divvying up the books. *shrug*
                  Oh, but I do support Hawaii. I believe that we all benefit, even the residents of Hawaii, when we help the very needy, no matter where they live. The competition aspect of this thing bothers me; if we win, we get the books, but somebody else doesn't. Would I rather we lose the books if it means KY or AL gets them, or what I rather we win the books if it means they don't? I choose the latter. We'll be fine.

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                  gee, scrivener... do you have roots somewhere else?
                  Born and raised here; lived here all but three years of my life.

I'm not saying how I'm voting to come across as self-righteous or anything, for what that's worth. I'm just asking that you consider what's the nicer thing to do. I think the nicer thing is to give those books up to the poorer kids.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I support Scriv's decision. Sometimes we have to look at the greater cause and collectively focus them on those who need it more. We can still support our own efforts to supply Hawaii with a lot of books. 50,000 books really could be split up between all 50-states. That's still a thousand books per state!
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      Would I rather we lose the books if it means KY or AL gets them, or what I rather we win the books if it means they don't? I choose the latter.
                      This is what I get for typing without my glasses late at night. I meant, of course, "...or would I rather we win the books if it means they don't? I choose the FORMER."
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scrivener does have a point, and in many ways I agree with him. But it’s not so much that any state is going to lose something, as that it will gain something. The Hawai‘i Library system is taking a big financial hit (which I’m sure is true for libraries all across the country), but I’m for doing anything to help our Library system.

I did my small part today by voting again for Hawai‘i. Though it is silly that such a noble endeavor has to be turned into a reality show/game. But I have to say, Hawai‘i is good at that.

NOTE: There are other ways to help as well. At the beginning of September, the Library (and Friends of the Library of Hawai‘i) has been asking for donations to ease the shortfall (as of 9/11/2009, they’ve received $15,334). Maybe we all can do both.

Comment

Just finished my voting for Day 4!
                          And following tutusue's lead, I also tried a couple extra times--
                          Can't tell if the extra clicks count, but I figured it couldn't hurt!

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                          NOTE: There are other ways to help as well. At the beginning of September, the Library (and Friends of the Library of Hawai‘i) has been asking for donations to ease the shortfall (as of 9/11/2009, they’ve received $15,334). Maybe we all can do both.
                          ^^^
                          Having made a donation (in addition to my purchases) back in June during the annual Friends of the Library Book Sale, I can say: Done and Done!

Comment

Hawaii won

Comment

Originally posted by Gfoxx View Post
                              Hawaii won
                              Nice! Congratulations, schoolchildren of Hawaii!

Comment

Ron Mizutani gave it one, last push on the 5:00 news last night as No. Carolina was hot on Hawaii's trail! That state obviously had a last minute push going on because Kentucky and Alabama stayed #2 and #3 up 'til the last day. The voting site was extremely busy between 5 & 6p, with voting ending at 6, Hawaii time.

And, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think distribution of books involves needy kids rather than schools. Possibly schools in disadvantaged neighborhoods will benefit. Not sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X