Employer Taxes Increased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer Taxes Increased

I heard on the radio today that unemployment taxes paid by employers are going up from $90 a year to over $1000 a year due to too many people collecting checks and not enough people working.

Any small business owners out there freaking out yet? How will it impact your business and our state's recovery?

Re: Employer Taxes Increased

A more than ten-fold increase in unemployment insurance for businesses?

I say that we have no choice.

Legalize gambling NOW!!!
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Vanilla, I heard them talking about that this morning, too. I remember hearing that Hawaii pays out the most generous checks at about 540.00 per week. I yelled at the radio, "That's 'cause it costs so dang much to live here, not because the state gummit loves the unemployed!"

The newscaster made it sound like the unemployed in Hawaii were getting something extra.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
        Vanilla, I heard them talking about that this morning, too. I remember hearing that Hawaii pays out the most generous checks at about 540.00 per week. I yelled at the radio, "That's 'cause it costs so dang much to live here, not because the state gummit loves the unemployed!"

The newscaster made it sound like the unemployed in Hawaii were getting something extra.
        Isn't that $540 every two weeks? And that's also taxable income too so the State gets some of that back.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

no, it's every week. BUT............what you receive in benefits is based on your previous 5 quarters of wages. You have to have been at the top tier of earnings to get the maximum benefit. and its optional to have taxes taken out. If you don't - you will receive a 1099 form at the end of the year.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

But from an employer's perspective - anybody worried?

I am not saying that ppl are sitting around getting rich off the taxpayers backs - not at all!

But how do small businesses stay in business here? I am really interested to know....

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
              But how do small businesses stay in business here? I am really interested to know....
              It's like going to Vegas. Breaking even is considered a win.

Comment

Why did the amount drop down to $90 after being set at $440 just a couple of years prior? Seems like the state didn't project things accurately, which then caused this insolvency crisis.

Comment

well, DUH! of course they didn't look at the numbers accurately. Two of the tax returns I file had their amounts lowered to -0- for this year. Not much you can do if the state tells you not to pay. I made a mistake the first return i filed and made a deposit - they sent it right back.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                  X