Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireball in the sky

Aloha,

I have a strange question. Over here on Kauai, about 2 weeks ago, I woke up at 4:30 am and saw a fire in the distance. From Kalaheo, looking towards Numilla, there was a fire on the horizon. It was very big (at first, I thought it was sunrise, but it was in the wrong spot!) and produced very little smoke. I first thought it was cane burning, but my friends tell me it is the wrong time of year for it. And from what I've seen, cane produces quite a bit of smoke.

I woke up my husband to verify and then went to bed. By 5:30, it was totally gone. We had no sirens go off or anything.

Anybody familiar with this kind of oddity? Perhaps it was a military thing? It has been puzzling me ever since and nobody else I know saw it.....

Thank you for your help.

Re: Fireball in the sky

Ooh, spooky! I wish I had an answer for you. The only thing I can think of is maybe someone was having a very, very secret, late-night luau? Hope you get an answer soon! Let us know!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I shudda took my video camera to it. I just thought it was a cane burn, but I was wrong.

I have a friend who is born and raised here and is elder and he told me that it might be related to all the folks who were mass buried on this part of the island because there was a plague here on Kauai in the 20s. He said they used to see it happen (the fireball) on the south shore burial sites when they were kids. Somehow, mass burials and fires in the sky are related. It was hard to follow him, or perhaps he is pulling my forever-malahini leg.

No mention in our "news" paper - (no news is good news???) - of course. hrmmmmmm perhaps I should just let this one be and chalk it up to the weirdness I see at night here.....

Comment

being told a story like that by an "elder" or Kupuna is a sign that you might be losing some of your malahini-ness. How you process that story and behave toward the gentleman who told it will decide whether you get to hear any more stories. Just appreciate what he shared with you.

Last week a very dear friend of mine passed away. I used to spend hours talking with him about all the old stories and things that happen here. I will miss his storytelling and always felt so blessed with the time he spent with me.

did you consider what you saw might have been some kind of missle/rocket test from Barking Sands? I saw on the news not too long ago that some testing was being done.

PS: where is "Numilla"? I've never heard of it.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Thank God you have that time in your memory with him.

I love my friend---he is so dear to me. Yes, I appreciate very much. I feel like he is giving me lessons I don't always understand, I know I will one day. I am blessed he looks out for me. For some reason---some lucky reason---he befriended me the first time we met and yes, I do appreciate and feel lucky. VERY lucky. I would be lost without his guidance and teaching.

The only thing we can figure out is that it is PMRF stuff at Barking Sands. Hopefully I am not causing any trouble asking about it.

Numila----down in the coffee fields between Kalaheo and Ele ele -put one too many l's in it. Perhaps a spanish influence working its way into my writing Sorry about that.

Comment

when I first came here , back in 1963 - I was blessed with some new friends who also instructed me in how to behave. Without them, I would not have stayed here, would not have learned to love Hawaii. I was so fortunate to have met them.

You seem to also be this fortunate. and you seem to appreciate what you are being given.

I think I like you
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Like this kind?
              http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...light=mokuleia
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Couple of nights ago the news prequel said something about a cloud f smoke (a contrail? missile path?) that went over the island chain and was seen by "many."

The news itself had no such story! Though I looked and waited.

Perhaps a US military thing hushed up?

More time and a better computer and I'd research it.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  Couple of nights ago the news prequel said something about a cloud f smoke (a contrail? missile path?) that went over the island chain and was seen by "many."

do you remember what channel or network?
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

One the late Glen Grant's books had something about fireballs, usually seen near the mountains. I seem to recall mostly in Waimanalo and around Kaaawa and Hauula, and also out past Makaha near Kaneana Cave.
                    EDIT: a quick Google search is interesting. Try looking at this link ... or look at this link ... and the one at this link looks pretty good.
                    Last edited by LikaNui; September 20, 2009, 06:50 PM. Reason: Did a Google search and added three links.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
                      Aloha,

I have a strange question. Over here on Kauai, about 2 weeks ago, I woke up at 4:30 am and saw a fire in the distance. From Kalaheo, looking towards Numilla, there was a fire on the horizon. It was very big (at first, I thought it was sunrise, but it was in the wrong spot!) and produced very little smoke. I first thought it was cane burning, but my friends tell me it is the wrong time of year for it. And from what I've seen, cane produces quite a bit of smoke.

I woke up my husband to verify and then went to bed. By 5:30, it was totally gone. We had no sirens go off or anything.

Anybody familiar with this kind of oddity? Perhaps it was a military thing? It has been puzzling me ever since and nobody else I know saw it.....

Thank you for your help.
                      What compass direction? Could you estimate the elevation over azimuth?

Here's a Star Bulletin article. Interesting.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        EDIT: a quick Google search is interesting. Try looking at this link ..

Aloha!

Yes, that first one looks like what my friend was telling me about that I couldn't understand. Now that makes more sense. Thank you for helping me piece that together.

It was a big big fire - there was smoke --albeit not much and white---and it originated from the ground....

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post

It was nearly two weeks ago now - two weeks on Tuesday next....and it was big ---like a cane fire---and the smoke came from the ground. I stood and watched it for 10 minutes or so and it did not change. It was big - like a sunrise....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                            What compass direction? Could you estimate the elevation over azimuth?

Here's a Star Bulletin article. Interesting.
                            Aloha Mike,

I missed the link---it seems to not be there on my viewing....

I looked up "azimuth" and have to admit that this is beyond my mental capacities. It seemed to be fire on the ground that grew towards the sky. It was big.

Don't know compass direction. I think it is something I need in my growing survival kit.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              when I first came here , back in 1963 - I was blessed with some new friends who also instructed me in how to behave. Without them, I would not have stayed here, would not have learned to love Hawaii. I was so fortunate to have met them.

You seem to also be this fortunate. and you seem to appreciate what you are being given.

I think I like you

Awww, sweet Anapuni. I feel the same way---these malahini lessons are invaluable and bring me so much joy and tell me I am home for the first time in my life. I hope to be worthy of it and of you liking me.

Comment

Working...
                              X