Today is D-Day for The Natatorium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Today is D-Day for The Natatorium

The Natatorium is a memorial to the sacrifices made by those in the "War To End All Wars." Tearing it down is akin to dancing on graves.

That said, there is no middle ground because neither side wants middle ground.

As for myself, I rather liked the (simple and cheap and effective) concept of filling the pool with sand and making a volleyball site out of it. That would preserve the general concept of the memorial.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I'm of the seldom heard middle ground preservationists, but the two major fighters are so polarized, because destruction is final (and some people are just mean), that they will have none of the other. Politics as usual.

The pool area is toast, utilize the spot for good, and I'd say much better than merely a ball court. At least a world class ball court...
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        The Natatorium is a memorial to the sacrifices made by those in the "War To End All Wars." Tearing it down is akin to dancing on graves.
        And properly honoring the WWI vets is what? Allowing a saltwater pool memorial dedicated to their memory to be filled with stagnant, bacteria-filled water that is so pilau that the pool is both a health and safety hazard to the public? Yeah, that's a fine way to memorialize those vets.

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        As for myself, I rather liked the (simple and cheap and effective) concept of filling the pool with sand and making a volleyball site out of it. That would preserve the general concept of the memorial.
        I used to be in favor of that proposal. But no more. When was the last time you've actually examined the condition of the Natatorium close up? Here's what the pool deck is now like.

What you see on the outside in a decaying shell. On the inside, the Nat is crumbling apart and will eventually collapse, with or without sand in the pool. The "simple and cheap" solution that you talk about is a myth.

In the meantime, the mayor has announced plans to demolish the Nat and released artist renderings of what the area will look like without the eyesore, while the Friends of the Natatorium has stubbornly dug in their heels and vowed to fight the city to the end..... with absolutely no plans on how to raise money to properly restore and maintain the saltwater pool. Typical!

Advertiser

Star Bulletin

Oh my God! Would you look at that? Honest-to-goodness, live people being able to enjoy beach space in an area that is now occupied by a crumbling edifice that has been sitting vacant for the last 30 years. And with a beautiful, open beach beckoning, more people will be walking through the memorial arches and be able to appreciate the sacrifices made by the WWI vets, instead of being repelled away from it as it presently stands with the padlocked gate and the dilapidated walls/windows. That's the truth that the preservationists don't want you to hear, because it kicks them off of the pedestal that they've been standing on for too long, unchallenged. Folks who want to demolish the old pool but restore the arches also care about honoring and memorializing the WWI vets..... and doing so in a way that will make the memorial accessible to present and future generations.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Since it's gonna cost the State (us) money no matter what.
          I think the above post/idea makes the most sense.
          How 'bout adding a placard with the famous swimmers and events that happened at the pool as a remembrance of that part of area history?
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Both options are very expensive. However given the choice of $15.1 million for the task force recommended option or the $57 million for full restoration, I'd go for the lesser of the 2 evil costs.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I showed MAMA the pictures and she sighed.

Den she started to tell me her story of the Nat.

She'll be 85 in Febuary, so much memories.

Twinkling in her eyes.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Look's like an 11th hour reprieve for the ol' Nat., now designated a National Treasure. Bet the Bernsteinites are fuming over this good news.
                http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=260083741
                But the big picture questions still remain as to how best move with preservation and promotion. The original structure cannot stand being moved elsewhere, and the "more beach space is needed" argument is as lame as arguing moving it inland will deplete park space, yet the now fragile monument cannot handle stress thus making future public use pointless unless fortified properly. Razing it will simply eliminate Kaimana Beach sand, right back to the rock and coral shore it was prior to the Nat's protective walls.
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 21, 2014, 10:57 AM.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

D-Day, 6th of June?

Comment

Working...
                  X