Jay Leno Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Leno Show

I don't see a thread for discussion of this show. TIME magazine declared it the "future of television" (way cheaper programming than producing weekly episodic television).

I tuned in one night out of curiosity and was thoroughly bored - but I was never a Leno fan to begin with. Off-the-wall Letterman is 90 percent spot on, with occasional lapses.

Any thoughts?

Re: Jay Leno Show

I gotta say that having Leno back on TV just about makes me wanna puke.

I used to be a big Letterman fan and started watching him when he had a daytime show. Anybody else remember that? But I've got so tired of both him and Leno that I stopped watching years ago.

Conan is pretty fresh, so I've been watching his new show, but I don't think he's gotten comfortable with the Tonight Show yet.
    ~~~~~~
    Hanalei Bay Resort | Waipouli Beach Resort | Kuhio Shores

Comment

Maybe a generation gap is involved! I'm happy to have Leno back and in a time slot that allows me to watch without falling asleep...for the most part! He wears well with me. I've never been a Letterman fan as I find him too acerbic for my taste. Conan's comedic pause...that beat a comedian takes after a joke...bothers me. He always injects "uhhh". I like small doses of him, tho'. Tutu's part of my screen name for a reason!

Comment

I'm glad Leno is back, but the new show has a ways to go before it gets comfortable and succeeds. I've DVR'd the episodes and watched most of them. I like that the monologues are the same as the Tonight Show's were and that Kevin and the band are still there. The set is kind of cold and a lot of the comedy skits with barely-known comedians fall really flat. The show needs a lot of tweaking to get it right.
        I didn't used to like Letterman but he's grown on me over the past few years. (And yes, Leno was beating him in the ratings.) Seems like Letterman has mellowed out a bit. He's really getting the big name and interesting guests.
        I never liked Conan in the late late slot and like him even less on the Tonight show now. I do DVR it but I scan the guest list first and if there's nobody I want to see, I delete it unwatched. If there is someone I want to see, I fast forward through the monologue and go straight to the interview.
        Apparently Conan did well in the ratings for the first week or so (no surprise there) but now Letterman is apparently beating him pretty firmly. Good.
        Craig Ferguson is terrific and (usually) extremely creative in his humor. Even if I don't want to see whoever the guest is, I'll usually watch his monologue before deleting.
        I hope Conan's ratings get so low that NBC dumps him and puts Leno back on the Tonight Show.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

His opening monologue is still a good daily news in review summary. After that, I'll only watch if there's a good comedian such as Bill Maher, Norm McDonald, or Chris Rock as the first guest.

Comment

My husband and I are in our mid-50s. We both like Letterman, and don't care for Leno. I don't think Leno is funny, and he doesn't come across as genuine or likeable. (IMHO, of course. I realize he was ahead in the ratings.) I think Letterman has better comedic timing and interview techniques. I mean, even other comedians say so (like Johnny Carson).

Comment

NPR review this morning says ratings were over the top for the first couple of days and then are less-than-spectacular as the show tries to find an audience. Producers quoted as saying they'll judge the show on a 52-week basis.

Comment

I thought yesterday's monologue was incredibly UNfunny.

Comment

Is Stuttering John still the announcer on the show. The announcer sounds different.

Comment

The man has fascinating guests with him, he sets them up to tell great stories ... then he KEEPS INTERRUPTING THEM with his attempts at witty interjections!

Jay, Jay, Jay ... STFU already! You have your monologues and your bits - let your GUESTS have their time now!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      [...]
                      I hope Conan's ratings get so low that NBC dumps him and puts Leno back on the Tonight Show.
                      But would Leno go back, I wonder. He announced 5 years ago that he wanted to move on; would leave the Tonight Show this year and that it would be turned over to O'Brien. I got the impression that it was Leno's decision.

I was also under the impression that NBC came up with the prime time show to keep Leno from going to another network; CBS, iirc.

Or have I been staring at my Medicare card too long?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Jay, Jay, Jay ... STFU already! You have your monologues and your bits - let your GUESTS have their time now!
                        Did he interrupt Kanye West?

Comment

There was a rumor once that Leno was going to ABC, not sure what they would have done with Jimmy Kimmel or if Leno's show would have been in prime time. There is enough reality shows on the air, now add 5 more hours of this show and no wonder why actors and actresses complain there isnt enough work these days. I guess this is why so many of them have flocked to working on the various cable stations like USA, HBO, A&E, etc.

Never was a huge fan of Leno or Letterman......Carson will always be my favorite. If Carson had 5 hours of primetime back in his heyday, the ratings would be HUGE!!

Aj

Comment

Currently watching Leno and he needs to either go back to his Tonight Show hairstyle or find a new stylist for this show. Picky, picky...I know!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Currently watching Leno and he needs to either go back to his Tonight Show hairstyle or find a new stylist for this show. Picky, picky...I know!
                              If his hair gets more puffy, he should ask for donations and Praise the Lord.

Comment

Working...
                              X