"The Prisoner" remade by AMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Prisoner" remade by AMC

I wonder if the death of Patrick McGoohan is what finally made it possible for someone to remake his amazing series, but the new AMC version launches in November. My curiosity is certainly aroused.

Check out the preview trailer that was shown at Comic-Con.

Re: "The Prisoner" remade by AMC

wow. thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. i don't know how well the show will be but i definitely remember the original series and i don't know about you, but it was so effective that i used to have nightmares about it! i mean, the feeling of frustration and being trapped really tore me up!

it was a damn good show... as peshkwe said, number 6, you're now free....
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I wonder if it will be made in Wales like the last series ?

Comment

The Prisoner was one of my favorite shows. I haven't seen it in years... wish they would replay it. I love anything Patrick Mcgoohan is in.

Comment

Sadly Patririck McGoohan has passed on. Yet that miniature village in Wales, Port Meryon is still thriving. I think Patrick and the scenery brought that series to life.

I AM NOT A NUMBER

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            Sadly Patririck McGoohan has passed on. Yet that miniature village in Wales, Port Meryon is still thriving. I think Patrick and the scenery brought that series to life.

I AM NOT A NUMBER
            Indeed, my friend! That scenery hooked me in as a youngster watching this show on its first go-around. McGoohan was dashing and mysterious. I never really understood the whole premise back then, so I will be paying close attention this time.

Thanks, Leo Lakio, for bringing this remake to my attention. What a great cast. Let's all talk about this again after the show airs?

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
              Indeed, my friend! That scenery hooked me in as a youngster watching this show on its first go-around. McGoohan was dashing and mysterious. I never really understood the whole premise back then, so I will be paying close attention this time.

Thanks, Leo Lakio, for bringing this remake to my attention. What a great cast. Let's all talk about this again after the show airs?
              The tiny village is still there, not more than an hour from me. I spoke to Patrick whilst he was filming and he still talked in the same stiff voice. Can I say! a lovely man.

Comment

The vlllage is built realy small but you woulld commoning there

Comment

First airing over three nights, Nov. 15-17.

Comment

Who will they get instead of Patrick McGowan ? He made the series.

Comment

Jim Caviezel is Number Six; Ian McKellan is Number Two --- and Rover is still Rover.

Comment

I'll be setting my DVR. Thanks.

Comment

Saw the first two hours tonight with a friend who was a fan of the original series. For me I may have seen parts of the original series but I don't think i consider myself as die hard fan of the series.

As far as this version is concerned, serveral possibilites come up:
                          1. The Village is an actual prison and the residents of the village are convicted killers who are brain washed into thinking that there happy people. Number 6's brainwash is not working
                          2. The Village is a front for an outer space invasion, the residents are about to invade Earth
                          3. Variation of #2 but the residents are prisoners and the invaders are studing the humans
                          4. The residents are brainwashed because what they know needs to be surpressed.

Comment

As someone who has seen the original series several times, I can say that I enjoyed the first two hours, primarily because I felt the casting, acting, design, & cinematography are all top-notch (and Rover's back - yay!), and the psychological puzzle is still the bottom line - and that's critical to this show.

The aspect that bothers me, however, is that this version seems intent on creating a clearer back-story, and revealing it to the viewer as it goes along. Things are "explained" a bit more (Number 2 drugging his wife, 6 revealing - in flashback form - what his job was, people remembering distinct "other" cities, recognizable by the sketches of the Statue of Liberty and Big Ben), while the original version left many unanswered questions - left room for the viewer to project their own possible explanations...or conspiracies.

I think the folks involved in this new version feel that contemporary viewers won't accept aspects left hanging or unresolved, something that was a part of what made the original series so innovative for its time (and still so good years on).

It was interesting to learn recently that Patrick McGoohan supposedly gave his blessing to this new series. When asked if he would be willing to play a small role in the new show, he declined, saying that the only role he would have wanted to play would be that of Number 2 - which would have made a nice twist-tie-in to the original show. But Ian McKellan had already signed on (which was a factor that got others involved), and of course, McGoohan passed away in January.

Be seeing you.

Comment

Leo, I agree with you. The cinematography, art direction (set design), writing, and acting were superb. I can’t think of another TV series, past or present, that has such a good look to it.

I don’t remember much of the original series. I watched perhaps 80%+ of the original episodes, maybe more. At that time, my favorite TV series was The Avengers, a similar series, but with a very different attitude.

What I remember was that it was very Kafkaesque, the almost claustrophobic feeling of being trapped and not knowing why. I also remember always wondering what that bouncing white ball (Rover) was all about. I don’t think it was ever fully revealed.

Comment

Working...
                              X