Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land taken by Eminent Domain remains undeveloped

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_lon...d_200909250600

One can say it's a nice bit of poetic justice for the instigators, but still sad for those who were forcibly displaced.

Re: Land taken by Eminent Domain remains undeveloped

Remember the Super Block? I forget how many years it took from the time everything was torn down and when WalMart was finally built there. But during those times many small businesses were displaced from massage parlours to automotive shops. Those businesses could have stayed in business and paying into the state tax coffers until construction could have started but that lot remained undeveloped for years.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

True, the Ke'eamoku Superblock lay vacant for about a dozen years. But there were some factors in the delay, some of it necessary and unavoidable.

First of all there, there was a 76 gas station there. So even after the buildings were removed, excavation had to take place in order to remove the tanks and to do all the required soil testing.

And then, there was the economic downturn of the early-to-mid 1990s.

If folks can predict economic/business cycles to a T,....... if no EPA regulations had to be followed,...... heck, if there were no state laws requiring work stoppage when burial remains are found, Craig would have gotten his wish and the time gap between the demolition and redevelopment of the Superblock would have been much shorter. But that's in an ideal world, isolated from so many real-word factors and laws.

As I said in another thread, hindsight makes business genuises of us all.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

When the Sheridan St. area got torn down, I lost both my business space and home. That was a bit of a set back..., all for friggin Wal Mart, BFD! Why oh why couldn't it have been for a Dunkin' Donuts?!
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The Kelo case has made it more difficult for governments to condemn land for public purposes. There is case close to my heart that attorney Robert Thomas has cited parallels the Kelo case. This litigation is the Mamalahoa(Hokulia) bypass land condemnation.

Charles & Joan Coupe have obstructed the completion of the Mamalahoa bypass for nine years. They own a parcel of land (1,500 feet) that is needed for the completion of this roadway (The Coupes own 300 acres from the existing Mamalahoa highway to the sea. Thus their land has to be condemned for this roadway).

Charles & Joan Coupe (who live in the lap of luxury in Hawaii Kai on Oahu primarily) claim this roadway will only benefit Hokulia.However Hokulia's entitlements obligate them to build this bypass road from Alii Drive to Napoopoo and dedicate it to Hawaii County.

I responded to Robert Thomas's review here.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
          X