Hawaiian Telcom Needs To Make A Stronger Effort To Obtain Federal Subsidies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Telcom Needs To Make A Stronger Effort To Obtain Federal Subsidies

I have serious doubts about Hawaiian Telcom’s secured debt holders bankruptcy re-organization plan.Sandwich Isles Communications raised some key questions about this plan recently. These questions revolve around the suspect finances of the new ownership of Hawaiian Telcom (which will directly impact their ability to invest in new infrastructure) and their inability to come up with a viable restructuring plan.

However I would select the secured debtors plan over Sandwich Isles if they made a stronger effort to obtain more federal broadband stimulus money and get Hawaiian Telcom qualified for Universal Service Fund subsidies.These avenues of funding would greatly enable Hawaiian Telcom to improve their aging telecommunications infrastructure and offer new services to stem their land line hemorrhaging .

Nonetheless, I’ve seen very little effort on Hawaiian Telcom’s part to aggressively go after this money. Which will leave them unable to significantly improve their inadequate infrastructure.This lack of foresight will probably force Hawaiian Telcom to file for bankruptcy again in the near future.

The Hawaii Public Utilities Commission needs to thoroughly scrutinize Hawaiian Telcom during this current bankruptcy to prevent the latter from happening again in the future.

Aaron Stene
    Kailua-Kona
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog
Working...
X