Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More school? Obama could trim summer break

Article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33054056...ews-education/

Gee. Just when our own Hawaii's teachers voted for 17-day furlough.

I just hope the Obama administration have the money for it.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: More school? Obama could trim summer break

I agree. I laughed in disbelief when I read this thinking does he even know what is happening in his old backyard? Of course Punahou is not related to the budget shortfalls, no furloughs for their teachers. But if enough parents keep losing jobs I wonder how things will change at the private schools.

I'd love for the WH press to grill him on what is happening in his own home state.

Aj (husband of a furloughed DOE teacher)
    Last edited by Kalihiboy; September 28, 2009, 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      I'd love for the WH press to grill him on what is happening in his on home state.
      It's just more of the same ole same ole. Did Dubya know or even care about his home state of Texas getting fined over $400,000 by the federal education secretary for noncompliance with his No Child Left Behind Act?

Washington beltway folks being out of touch with their constituents. Wow!!! So what else is new?

One thing that I would question about the AP article. When it says that students in the US have more instructional hours than their counterparts in East Asia,...... is the writer accounting for the number of hours that children in Japan, Taiwan, and Hong Kong spend in cram schools? If not, then the comparative data provided is more than a little misleading.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 28, 2009, 09:52 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Washington beltway folks being out of touch with their constituents. Wow!!! So what else is new?
        Gee, and I thought things would be really different with Obama.

In the immortal worlds of Nelson Muntz: "Haw-Haw!"

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Gee, and I thought things would be really different with Obama.

In the immortal worlds of Nelson Muntz: "Haw-Haw!"
          The difference is, Obama has a better PR team, and personally, is a more articulate speaker then his predecessor. Other than that, little has changed.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            The difference is, Obama has a better PR team, and personally, is a more articulate speaker then his predecessor. Other than that, little has changed.
            Better PR than what Bush had? Maybe, maybe not. I personally wouldn't give THAT much credit to Robert Gibbs (WH press secretary) and David Axelrod (Obama's senior advisor). In case anyone hasn't noticed, the most pressing issues that people are concerned about are jobs, the economy, JOBS, health care, JOBS, Afghanistan, JOBS, Iran.... and finally, JOBS!!! All in that order.

The Hawaii public school calendar being reduced due to furloughs..... I mean, c'mon. Did anyone think that story was suddenly going to push aside all of the aforementioned issues out of the national headlines?
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the most pressing issues that people are concerned about are jobs, the economy, JOBS, health care, JOBS, Afghanistan, JOBS, Iran.... and finally, JOBS!!! All in that order.
              Meh. Empathy for the unemployed aside, I'm lucky to have a job on an island with the highest unemployment percentage rate.

The Hawaii public school calendar being reduced due to furloughs..... I mean, c'mon. Did anyone think that story was suddenly going to push aside all of the aforementioned issues out of the national headlines?
              Well, it is JOB-related. Just not MY job. Obviously not yours (hard to imagine FM teaching a bunch of kids without corporal punishment or threats).

It's not meant to push aside aforementioned issue. Just add to the pile, like Obama's healthcare reform plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                It's not meant to push aside aforementioned issue. Just add to the pile, like Obama's healthcare reform plan.
                Yeah, exactly. Add it to the pile. Buried under scores of other issues and concerns.

Pooh-pooh the importance of jobs if you want. But with the nation mired in a recession and rising unemployment in 1992, Bush 41 was knocked out of the Presidency by a simple but very effective Bill Clinton campaign that focused on jobs, jobs, jobs. And in 1996 while the GOP were making a big stink about the failed health care reforms, the "don't ask/don't tell" policy in the military, and Kenneth Starr's Whitewater investigation, all Bill Clinton had to do was remind voters that 6 million new jobs were created during his first term. Clinton cruised to an easy landslide win over Bob Dole.

If location, location, and location are the 3 most important things when it comes to real estate, then jobs, jobs, and jobs are the 3 most important things for a President who wants to keep his job. If the unemployment rate is still rising in 2012, then Obama will be a one term president. Nothing else he does right will matter.

Comment

Working...
                X