Canon G11 anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon G11 anyone?

I'm looking for a camera for my Wife. She's taken an interest in photography, and wants to learn more while shooting with something better than our PNS camera. I saw this mentioned in another thread, checked it out...she likes the manual controls and the swivel viewfinder.

I know this is not out yet, but there seems to be a bunch of photographers here who probably can tell me more about this (just like I can tell you about unreleased mountain bikes...we all have our geeky interests).

Anyone?

Re: Canon G11 anyone?

I think that $500 for a P&S is pretty steep. For that kind of money, she could get a used DSLR, which can open a whole new world.

If the g11 has full manual( or even a shutter/aperture/programed modes), it can teach her the basics of shooting a camera, versus pointing and shooting. the only thing that might limit her is the fixed lens of the point and shoot.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

The G series are Canon's top of the line point and shooters with all the bells and whistles. The G10, and G9 may be very good too. They are older models but may still be found at a discount if you are lucky.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../canon_g11.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../canon_g10.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...n/canon_g9.asp

An alternative but also a Canon with a longer zoom is this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...non_sx20is.asp

I have the older model of the above camera, Canon S5 iS. It's no longer produced.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_s5is.asp

I take good pictures with it. Got it for sale 2 years ago for $349.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Too bad I don't know how to ride a bike

Which kinds of photography does your wife enjoy? Does she shoot mostly outdoors or indoors? Day or night? Static things (likes scenery) or dynamic things (like you sailing across the air on your bike)?

The Canon G-series is well regarded. She can throw it in her purse and have it with her all the time. They're fun to use.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies (and just the guys I expected!).

My Wife's interest is mostly in scenic shots, daytime, stuff she happens to notice as she's going through the day. She's been doing a bit of travel to the neighbor islands for work and comes homes with lots of shots. They would really be nice if not for the limitations of our PNS camera. She's also said she would like to take some classes to get more of the technical skills to make those shots come out. A smaller form factor will facilitate her carrying it more (the more she has it the more she'll shoot). I like the manual settings for the learning...

OK I think I'm gonna pull the trigger, too bad it won't be out for about a week after her Birthday...something about a receipt in a card that's not too sexy...

Comment

If she's into day time scenics, the G11 sounds like a good fit. :_)

If you can find a photography class, you can put the flyer in her bday card. Or maybe you can wrap an empty box w/ a note saying it can't be open until such and such date. You could put a block of wood in there or something. Sure she'll probably know it's fake, but having a pretty, gift-wrapped box can still make her excited.

You could buy her a copy of Photoshop Elements 8, a good value at $80. It's hard to say if she'd like it, though. Some people rather take pictures than spending time editing them. There's a steep learning curve, but if you can get past that, it can be really addictive if you're a perfectionist with your pictures. Of course you'd need to find education material on Photoshop (books, video, online stuff). Perhaps it'd be too much, too soon.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "

Comment

To too was thinking about a getting a new(or used) camera. My kids dropped mine this past weekend. I was looking at the G11 or G10 series. They both have good reviews. I was also thinking about getting a used Canon 40d. I saw some listed for $750 with lens. What do you guys think?

808 Dad

Comment

I'm looking for classes for her. We have a super hectic life so the window is pretty narrow...basically Saturdays only. Something is bound to come up. I'm going to introduce her to Flickr and encourage her to attend some "Flickr Fridays", those guys seem like a mellow bunch, no doubt a great brain trust there.

For presenting the gift, I've dl'd the manual and printed it up, so I'll take the 50+ pages and wrap them up with a note explaining that the camera will be coming in 10-14 days. So she can read up before it arrives and will be ready to try some of it's tricks when it's in hand.

FYI, I got it from Amazon, priced at $499 w/free shipping. Just didn't have ANY time to go out and find a local shop to order from. Not proud of that...

Comment

808Dad: Bummer about the kids dropping the camera, but I guess it's a good excuse to get a new toy ;_)

If the camera is for the family and kiddy hands, consider a waterproof camera such as the Canon Powershot D10. Being rugged, you can be more relaxed with it and take more off the wall shots.

If you go with a DSLR, you'll notice the performance, but it's more of an investment in terms of money (the cost of extra lenses range from $200 to $2000 depending on purpose and quality). Also it'll be a bulky camera. I tend to leave my DSLR at home unless I'm going to an event where I know I want to take pictures.

Fat Jeff: Cool. I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Bet she'll have a hard time waiting :_) And yeah, the Flickr Friday folks are pretty mellow.
                  "

Comment

My only concerns about this camera is the digital zoom and no optical zoom, plus the limited f:stops. F2.8-4.5 doesn't give you a whole lot of depth of field range considering the 15-sec to 1/4000 shutter speed capability.

The zoom lens is nice at 28-140mm giving you nice wides for landscape and excellent telephoto range for portraits.

I like the fact that you can spot-meter your lighting for manual exposure however I didn't see in the specs if this camera was aperature or shutter preferred.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The zoom lens is nice at 28-140mm giving you nice wides for landscape and excellent telephoto range for portraits.
                      I agree with you. That 28mm is nice and wide, especially for a P&S (tougher to achieve, with smaller sensors).

My only concerns about this camera is the digital zoom and no optical zoom
                      It has a 5x optical zoom (the whole 28-140 thing). It seems to have 4x digital zoom, which I don't recommend using, unless you want to use your camera as a spotting scope, like someone on HT suggested.

F2.8-4.5 doesn't give you a whole lot of depth of field range considering the 15-sec to 1/4000 shutter speed capability.
                      Yeah, f2.8 tends to be as wide open as it gets, on Canon's P&S'es. They don't mention the smallest aperture, but I'm guessing it's f11.

I like the fact that you can spot-meter your lighting for manual exposure however I didn't see in the specs if this camera was aperature or shutter preferred.
                      You get all the exposure modes, plus Auto ISO. Canon calls their aperture priority "Av" and their shutter priority "Tv". Nikon uses "A" and "S", respectively.
                      "

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post

FYI, I got it from Amazon, priced at $499 w/free shipping. Just didn't have ANY time to go out and find a local shop to order from. Not proud of that...
                        With Amazon you don't have to pay GE taxes on your purchase.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I have owned both the G9 and the G10 and I highly recommend the Canon G-series. They take awesome everyday kind of pictures and if you are not looking for speed (such as sports or kids) then you don't really need an SLR.

If you want something smaller than the G11 I would highly recommend the Canon S90 IS. It has the same processor as the G11 but in a smaller package. It's super sweet!!
                          kiddori

Comment

I picked up a G11 last week.

Fine camera. Fully manual, and the optics are just fine for a point and shoot. The swivel screen can come in handy, although I'm mainly using it rangefinder style (the viewfinder zooms in tandem with the lens).

Very nice for the street when I don't want to carry an SLR.

Comment

Working...
                            X