Hello from the Northwest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the Northwest!

Hello, my name is Harold, and I am from a suburb of Seattle. I have been coming to Hawaii since I was 2 months old, haha. Growing up it was Christmas in Honolulu and Muai every other year. Dad went to Punahou in the early 50's and throughout most of his life, always seemed to have some sort of business going on in Hawaii.

In 2006, I came to Hawaii. My initial excuse for coming was to see the final U2 concert of the tour. The trip was initially just a 2 or 3 day excursion, but after finishing a large project, I extended it to 12 days.

I spent most of my time on Kauai, a week in Kapaa, then several days in a house near the water north of Kapaa. I finally found paradise! I was most impressed with how vivid the colors were and how warm it was during the 2 days of rain in December. I loved exploring and wished I had spent more time researching all the things I could do. Plus with my diabetes, I enjoyed the warmth. These days 75-85 is perfect. Our days this summer, in the upper 90's and 100's, were much too for me.

As with most people I know, I dream of moving to Hawaii. Before visiting Kauai, I thought Oahu was the perfect place for me, but after spending a few days on Oahu, I realized that I am not looking to move into another fast paced environment. I liked the relaxed feel of Kauai.

I have a 2-3 year plan to move to Kauai, however, the most difficult part of thinking of the move isn't the money or the job, but knowing how much I will miss my daughter and her girls. I spent 9 weeks in Europe in 2007 and we missed each other terribly, we are each other's best friend. I know it will pass, and she will visit often.

Making a big decision, like moving to Hawaii, is something I have researched to death, between the forums, blogs, local websites, craigslist, etc., I have a good idea what it MIGHT cost to live on Kauai. Quite honestly, I don't require much to live, as long as I have a bed, my desk, my computer, my camera & a decent sounding stereo (I also missed great sounding music in Europe while on the road), I could live in a 10x10 space (as long as it had a deck).

I know I still have plenty of questions, but this site is amazing for the amount of information about moving & living in Hawaii.

Mahalo
    Expect me when you see me.....

Re: Hello from the Northwest!

Welcome to HT, Harold. It sounds like you've done your homework. Since you mentioned you have diabetes, hopefully you've also checked out medical care on Kauai. The outer islands have been hit hard by a medical exodus. Of course, this could change either way in the next 2-3 years. Best of luck with your plans.

Comment

Hi Harold and welcome. Are you green line diabetes ? I will come across,, I am epileptic and crash out once in a while.
      Kick yer shoes off feller and join in this forum ~ they are a friendly bunch.

Comment

Thanks
        I didn't know about the medical exodus. Does Kauai have a lifeline service? Here in Washington San Juans, the residents subscribe to Lifeline helicopter service to fly them to a major hospital on the mainland. Does the outer island have the same capability to fly to Honolulu?

I am a type 2 diabetic who has had the disease for 15 years. It is well controlled for now, however, I regularly see a foot doctor. Will this be a problem?

I have noticed how friendly everyone is. This is why I decided to start posting. Thanks again

Comment

Welcome to the board. I've only been to Seattle once, but it's been my observation that airfare is fairly reasonable between Hawaii (at least, Honolulu) and the Pacific Northwest. That plus the fact that there is only a couple hours difference (as compared to 5/6 hours with the East coast) should help with the separation from your daughter.

Good luck on your plan. This is a good forum with people who will give you honest advice.
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by Manofmayo View Post
            Thanks
            I didn't know about the medical exodus. Does Kauai have a lifeline service? Here in Washington San Juans, the residents subscribe to Lifeline helicopter service to fly them to a major hospital on the mainland. Does the outer island have the same capability to fly to Honolulu?
            Yes, critically ill patients can be medivaced to Oahu but I've not heard of a subscription type lifeline service. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist, of course, but it's definitely something you should check out.
            I am a type 2 diabetic who has had the disease for 15 years. It is well controlled for now, however, I regularly see a foot doctor. Will this be a problem?
            Again, something for you to research.
            I have noticed how friendly everyone is. This is why I decided to start posting. Thanks again
            We're a fun ohana who gets into the normal scraps and dysfunctions of any ohana!!!

Comment

What you call 2 diabetes, we call Green line and the more serious is Red. We just have different ways of naming things in England. The members here tollerate me 'cause they know I have worked on Ohau.

You are so welcome to these threads but I hope you don't become like me me and start to speak da pidgeon English.

Comment

Sorry about the spelling, there has never been a queue out side my house asking me how to spell something.

Comment

oh no worries about the spelling....

Sigh.....its been raining and stormy for weeks now....and its just beginning, another 4-5 months of this carp! Gosh I really hate the cold, drizzling rain of the PNW. I know I have lived in Seattle most of my life but I feel like I am getting to old for this.....boo!

That's my glass of whine for the day.....

Comment

Working...
                  X