based on all available data a tsunami may have been generated by
    this earthquake that could be destructive on coastal areas even
    far from the epicenter. An investigation is underway to determine
    if there is a tsunami threat to hawaii.

If tsunami waves impact hawaii the estimated earliest arrival of
    the first tsunami wave is

0111 pm hst tue 29 sep 2009

Re: Tsunami Watch Hawaii (and New Zealand) September 29 2009

They've updated the magnitude from a 7.9 to an 8.3. Yikes!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

NOAA cancelled the tsunami watch at 10:22 am HST. Check out their buoy map for actual wave data:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/?lat=-8.754...=&op=&ls=false

Comment

apparently my kid's school thinks an advisory is a warning because they just called my wife that the school is closing for the day because of updated information that the watch was upgraded to a tsunami warning...
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8281616.stm

For the Samoans here and those who have Samoan family:

http://www.fm104.org/
          http://static.radionz.net.nz/assets/.../8074/rnzi.asx

News and updates from those who have managed to get into contact with family back home
          http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=42976&p=3&topicID=31233114
          Last edited by PoiBoy; September 29, 2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

NO NSWEAT! theycancelled the alert! Up here at 275 ft above sea level we have no sweat anyway,

oops, excuse me, I think my spare back bathroom has a leak...

wait! No it's coming from outside...!!!

BRB.........................
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Just saw this on a friend's Facebook page:
              please pass this message on:

We're accepting food item donations at the American Samoa Office of Honolulu: Please drop off canned goods, bags of rice and bottled water at the office. Let's work together to make a difference.

1427 Dilingham Blvd Suite 210, Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
              Of interest to me is that while we're constantly being encouraged to go green and stop using bottled water, there's still a very important need and use for it.

Comment

They're now saying 83 dead and the number is likely to double.
                A boating aquaintance of mine owns the Coconuts Beach Club resort in American Samoa and has posted information on their website at http://www.cbcsamoa.com/ , which they'll supposedly be updating.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  apparently my kid's school thinks an advisory is a warning because they just called my wife that the school is closing for the day because of updated information that the watch was upgraded to a tsunami warning...
                  Why? Is the school in the inundation zone?

That's one panicky principal you got there.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

From this Breaking News story of just a few minutes ago:

Tsunami advisory issued for Hawaii after 8.0 quake off Vanuatu

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has issued a tsunami advisory for Hawaii following a magnitude-8.0 earthquake off the Vanuatu islands.
                    The quake struck at 12:03 p.m., Hawaii time.
                    It is not known at this time whether a tsunami was generated.
                    The quake struck 183 miles northwest of the Vanuatu island of Santo, and 354 miles northwest of the capital of Port Vila, at a depth of 21 miles.
                    American Samoa, Samoa and Tonga are under a tsunami watch.
                    If a wave is generated, it would arrive in Hawaii at 6:50 tonight, the warning center said.
                    A warning is in effect for Vanuatu, the Solomons, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caldeonia, Fiji, Kiribati, Kosrae, Wallis-Futuna and Howland-Baker.
                    A watch is in effect for Tokelau, Kermadec, Pohnpei, New Zealand, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Australia, Niue, Cook Islands, Chuuk, Indonesia, Wake, Jarvis, Palmyra, Guam, Northern Marianas, Johnston, Yap, Marcus and Belau.
                    There were no immediate reports of injury or damage from officials in Vanuatu, a chain of 83 islands. It lies just over 1,400 miles northeast of Sydney, Australia.
                    The latest warning comes just two weeks after a quake of magnitude 8.3 rocked the South Pacific near Samoa, sparking tsunami waves that killed at least 178 people and devastated coastal villages in Samoa, American Samoa and in northern Tonga.
                    Meanwhile, the U.S. Geological Survey reported a strong earthquake struck south of the Philippines on Thursday morning local time.
                    The quake had a preliminary magnitude of 6.7 and was located in the Celebes Sea, 175 miles southeast of Jolo, Sulu Archipelago, and 730 miles south of Manila. The quake hit at 5:41 a.m. Thursday local time.
                    (...)

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      Why? Is the school in the inundation zone?

That's one panicky principal you got there.
                      Update on that one...the director was following the lead from Hawaii County Civil Defense that closed off all beaches on the Big Island. Connections is a stone's throw (okay football field 2x) from Hilo Bay.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

When the day comes that we get another serious tsunami it's going to be worse that the recent devestation in the Samoa's look like a luau.
                        They are regularly schooled on proper proceedures and what not to do, yet they in most part panicked, which is what cost the larger loss of life.
                        We in Hawaii have virtually no training on disaster proceedings, let what little we do recieve go in one ear and out the other, and will be even more prone to panic.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ron, I have to differ with you here. One of the causes of the devastation in Samoa was that they didn't have time to issue a warning. and many folks DID head for high ground as soon as the earthquake hit. The damage/deaths could have been much worse. and I think that most here are very well aware of the dangers and what to do. We are lucky in a sense that we do have a good warning system with the sirens and early notices sent out via radio, tv & newspapers. Not to mention the internet, twitter etc. I sure there is plenty of room for improvement anywhere that is prone to these events. But, we are pretty well prepared here. I certainly feel that I will get plenty of warning if something happens. Anyone who has lived here more than a couple of years becomes very aware of the dangers of living on a island in the middle of the ocean.

(way off topic but I finally went to one of your links & now know how you know Kaleo Wood)
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            1) Ron, I have to differ with you here.
                            2) We are lucky in a sense that we do have a good warning system with the sirens and early notices sent out via radio, tv & newspapers. Not to mention the internet, twitter etc. I sure there is plenty of room for improvement anywhere that is prone to these events. But, we are pretty well prepared here. I certainly feel that I will get plenty of warning if something happens. Anyone who has lived here more than a couple of years becomes very aware of the dangers of living on a island in the middle of the ocean.
                            1) You'd be differring with a Samoan resident who witnessed it all and offerred his opinion which I repeated.
                            2) But as you stated, it hit those islands VERY quickly, without time to issue any warnings, barely time to run like hell.
                            One account had a couple simply feeling the earthquake and immediately jumping into their car and hauling ass away from shore, only to have the white water chasing their bumper as their neighbors were freaking out and dying. That's the scary part about these tsunamis, they can just pop up and swarm areas. If the same occurred similarly here it would/could be more tragic, depending on the areas hit worst, and someday it will. Of course I would love to be wrong.
                            Whenever I live in beachfront dwellings, I always have that lingering fear in the back of my mind, ready for any mental or physical signs of warning.
                            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; October 7, 2009, 06:18 PM.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Looking for ways to improve tsunami warnings
                              ...an interesting blog by Howard Dicus.

Comment

Working...
                              X