Combining anti-virus ware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooooh!

Thanx for that, sounds very worthwhile. Is that similar to this? - www.panterasoft.com $50

Here's some other stuff I've come across -
    RAM defrag - www.brothersoft.com/ram-defrag-17272.html FREE
    Track volume balancing - http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net FREE
    Record live TV - www.freeview.co.uk FREE
    BBC TV - www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install
    Data backop or erase - True Image Home @ www.acronis.com
    Thief tracker - www.gadgettrak.com - $25 per year
    Is your computer at the police sta.? - www.propertyroom.com FREE

What is this? - http://get.adobe.com/air
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; October 6, 2009, 11:43 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Combining anti-virus ware

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
      You should be able to adjust a setting on your antivirus to have it check for updates automatically every day. Set that and forget about it.
      Just to be clear about this, even though your anti-virus software is set to update itself every day, how do you verify that it is doing that job. Sure it works today and tomorrow and all of this week, but in the long run how do you make sure that it is still doing it 6 months from now?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Just to be clear about this, even though your anti-virus software is set to update itself every day, how do you verify that it is doing that job. Sure it works today and tomorrow and all of this week, but in the long run how do you make sure that it is still doing it 6 months from now?
        Is this really an issue? I've never had problems of this nature. I guess if you find that it's not downloading updated virus signatures and you verify it's the AV software's problem then I would submit a bug to your antivirus company and download the signatures manually until they fix it. Of course the problem may be with a number of things so you'd have to troubleshoot each unique situation to figure out what is preventing the signatures from getting downloaded and applied to your AV software. Fortunately I've never had a problem with this and just "set it and forget it".
        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

The problem with auto updates is that if a virus or spyware infects your system before the update can be done, that virus or spyware will instruct the antivirus or antispyware to look the other way and keep telling you your software is updated even though it's corrupted. Once it's corrupted it's like giving the prison keys to the prisoners.

I update manually as often as I can to insure a bug can't get in between scheduled auto-updates.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            The problem with auto updates is that if a virus or spyware infects your system before the update can be done, that virus or spyware will instruct the antivirus or antispyware to look the other way and keep telling you your software is updated even though it's corrupted. Once it's corrupted it's like giving the prison keys to the prisoners.

I update manually as often as I can to insure a bug can't get in between scheduled auto-updates.
            Or even worse when the virus actually just disables your AV altogether! Best thing is not to rely on one piece of software as a failure point. Personally, I won't take the time to manually update my AV as I work on my computer all day every day and am very in tune with it's functioning (run tcpview/process explorer in the background all day). But for others I wholeheartedly recommend to manually update your AV every day
            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              even though your anti-virus software is set to update itself every day, how do you verify that it is doing that job. ?
              I use Avast free virus software. It pops up a daily audio and visual message that that software is updated. The voice is a very reassuring authoritarian male. I'm not sure what more I can do.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                I use Avast free virus software. It pops up a daily audio and visual message that that software is updated. The voice is a very reassuring authoritarian male. I'm not sure what more I can do.
                I'll take the sultry female voice

Comment

I'll take the sultry female voice
                  Yes, at my age, I suppose my hardware could use some updating too.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yes, at my age, I suppose my hardware could use some updating too.
                    My hardware is becoming software.

Comment

My hardware is becoming software.

You mean like the old 3 1/2" floppies?

Comment

You mean like the old 3 1/2" floppies?
                        Softer like those 5-1/4" ones Thank goodness my wife's firmware is still...um...firm. Uh Yeah

Comment

Softer like those 5-1/4" ones Thank goodness my wife's firmware is still...um...firm. Uh Yeah
                          Matapule's uaifi needs a complete reinstall. All I get is the big blue screen!

Comment

Working...
                          X