Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Default 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...l-peace-prize/ http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...l-peace-prize/

President Obama won one and this year 4 women won one (the most in any one year according to the articles I've read).

Default Re: 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

I love the President, but this is ridiculous. Doctors without Borders. Amnesty International. Bishop Desmond Tutu. Barack Obama?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

In his speech today he addressed the absurdity of it all quite succintly.
    As his kid's said, "You won the Nobel Peace Prize today, daddy. It's also Bo's birthday and a three day holiday!"

This is just the world community giving BushCo a well deserved and long overdue punch in the nose, thankfull that America may have found it's moral compass once again with the new President.

Obama's award is premature, to say the least. What were the selectors thinking?? This early into his presidency, we don't yet know how far the war in Afghanistan will escalate. And how will he handle the saber rattling from Iran and North Korea?

If the same prize was given to Obama in 2016, it would be a great honor. But in 2009, less than a year in office, it just doesn't feel right. At this point, it might be prudent to decline the award, just as N. Vietnam's Le Duc Tho declined his Nobel Peace Prize in 1973 (also awarded to then US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger), saying that there was still no peace in his country.

Default Maybe you missed it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    This is just the world community giving BushCo a well deserved and long overdue punch in the nose.
    The decision was made just two months into his term.

That prize was included as a bonus in the president's rookie contract.

I love Howard Dicus' take on this subject. YMMV...

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I love Howard Dicus' take on this subject. YMMV...

joan walsh of salon.com came to a similar conclusion.
    In recent years the Nobel Peace Prize has more often honored promise and encouraged progress than it marked concrete, permanent achievements in the realm of world peace. So the prize went to President Carter's ultimately unsuccessful 1978 Middle East peace drive; and to the same still uncompleted effort by Yassir Arafat and Yitzhak Rabin in 1994. In 1991, Aung San Suu Kyi won the prize in her jail cell, but the point was to support democracy in Burma (and 18 years later, she is still under house arrest).Thinking about the Northern Ireland Catholic and Protestant "Peace Mothers" who won the award in 1976, years before real peace accords, I suddenly saw Obama's win as strangely humble, and personal: One man trying to reverse the bloody tide of recent American history.

French President Nicholas Sarkozy (not always an Obama fan) said about why the U.S. president really got the Nobel Peace Prize: "The award marks America's return to the heart of the people of the world."
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Yeah, all day long, I've heard the pundits on talk shows waxing on about how the Nobel Peace Prize has been given to some awardees based, not on actual accomplishments, but on potential. Based on the idea that the award will hopefully reinforce the ideas espoused by the recipient.

If that is the objective of the Nobel award, then I understand the rationale in Obama receiving the award. But I still don't agree with it. When I think of the most deserving winners, it's folks like Mother Theresa and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. People that received the award based on many years of actual accomplishments and used the notoriety/publicity of the award to further their good deeds on a larger scale.

When the Nobel committee goes out on a limb and makes an award based on potential, it inevitably leads to dubious recipients like Yasser Arafat. Winners like him only serve to cheapen the award, IMHO.

The nomination occurred shortly after his election but it wasn't, I think, that the powers that be decided to give Obama the prize 12 days into his administration. Also, this article quotes the Secretary of the Nobel committee that decides who receives the peace prize as saying:

"• Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.
    More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/...el_peace_myths

I'm on a listserv where there are several people who feel strongly that Obama should have declined the prize. However, if the Nobel Foundation's committee's secretary's information is correct, then the prize was awarded to Obama to encourage him to continue his efforts for peace, human rights and democracy and not based on an assumption that he has accomplished these goals. In light of that, it may not have been premature to give him the award if they felt he was otherwise deserving of it. Declining the award would not negate the fact that it was awarded to him. In my opinion, declining the award would not accomplish anything other than making our President and perhaps the United States in general seem churlish and ungracious. Essentially it would be saying to the Nobel Foundation that we think they don't even know how to make their own awards based on their own criteria, that we reject their expression that they think well of our leader and perhaps our country, and that we know better than anyone how things should be done. In my opinion, that just reinforces the worst stereotypes of the "Ugly American" and encourages a negative world image of us.

From what I've seen, Obama's response is perhaps the best response we can make ~ he doesn't claim credit and has stated an intent not to accept the prize money; he says that he accepted the award as a sign of commitment to working with others towards these goals; he's not trying to use it for leverage in anything as far as I've seen so far; yet he's gracious and not denigrating or embarrassing the organization issuing the award (as in, hey you dopes, you don't even know how to decide who gets your own awards!).

This is not to say that everyone needs to be jumping up and down with pom poms cheering that Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize but he didn't seek it and it behooves us as a country to be gracious about the honor.

Adri, what a very well-written response to all this fuss, from both sides about the prize. I think you really saw what is behind the Nobel Prize Committee making its decision. Thank you for posting this! Now, have you thought about submitting to the newspapers for a letter to the editor?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Yep! What anapuni wrote.^^^

Adri, you and Howard Dicus have put this topic in total perspective for me. Thank you.

Thank you anapuni808 and tutusue!

Rather him get a prize than G, Bush. There again,,, I am not a Yank. Who am I to judge ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    This is just the world community giving BushCo a well deserved and long overdue punch in the nose, thankfull that America may have found it's moral compass once again with the new President.
    Really? If this is an international response to us, it's more like a girlie punch, and I'm not talking about those effective sucker gut punch girls can hit, but thrown by male wusses.

Sorry, but the recipient of this year's Nobel Peace Prize have gotten me scratching my head.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I love the President, but this is ridiculous. Doctors without Borders. Amnesty International. Bishop Desmond Tutu. Barack Obama?
    It's a "thanks for not being Bush" award.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Is the prize like a honorary degree when the person succeeded without the need for a degree on their resume?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Sorry, but the recipient of this year's Nobel Peace Prize have gotten me scratching my head.
    You're not the only one, believe me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    It's a "thanks for not being Bush" award.
    Congrats for surpassing the extremely low bar of achievement set by your predecessor. You win the award....by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Is the prize like a honorary degree when the person succeeded without the need for a degree on their resume?
    LOL! As much as I supported Obama's campaign, I have to admit that the Nobel peace prize selection unfortunately feeds into the conservative's criticism about Obama being a superficial celebrity rather than a man of substance.

But in fairness to the president, this isn't the first time that celebrity has triumphed over more deserving candidates. It was just a couple of years ago that Irena Sendler, a Polish social worker who risked her life to save thousands of Polish Jews from Nazi tyranny, was nominated for the Nobel prize, but lost.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/sendler.asp

Ah, but what chance did an unsung heroine like Sendler have against former Vice President Al Gore and his oh-so-glossy slide show presentation on global warming?
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 12th, 2009 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    But in fairness to the president, this isn't the first time that celebrity has triumphed over more deserving candidates. It was just a couple of years ago that Irena Sendler, a Polish social worker who risked her life to save thousands of Polish Jews from Nazi tyranny, was nominated for the Nobel prize, but lost.

Ah, but what chance did an unsung heroine like Sendler have against former Vice President Al Gore and his oh-so-glossy slide show presentation on global warming?
    Wow.

Perhaps someone should take Nobel's greatest invention to the world, stick them up the selection committee's butts and light them.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Maybe the committee is worried Obama may not live long enough to qualify for the honor in the future (no posthumous awards).
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Based on this award, I think all Beauty Pageant contestants should be awarded Nobel Peace prize...for aren't they the very one's whose goals are "World Peace"?

You can talk all day long but in the end it's the accomplishments that account for your mark on this world.

He talks but there are many who walk what they say and have accomplished more than the president has done...yet. I'm sure Obama will succeed with his ambitions but it's too early to see the light at the end of his tunnel. Too Soon!

Obama should reject this prize and tell the committee he'll accept it when he earns it, or else just give it to the Miss America Pageant already. They've been proclaiming world peace for decades already.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Lightbulb Re: 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    the Nobel peace prize selection unfortunately feeds into the conservative's criticism about Obama being a superficial celebrity rather than a man of substance.

Clearly, the award comes as no surprise considering who Obama is. President Obama, through his actions and appointments, is simply fulfilling the Bilderberg Group’s imperative of implementing a world government. The Nobel Committee isn’t concerned about preserving the Constitutions of individual nations — even a once-great superpower like the United States. Their goal is peace, and if the best way to achieve that is through consolidation of world economies through entities like the European Union and the North American Union, so be it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Default Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    If this is an international response to us, it's more like a girlie punch
    It's a big media flap over nothing. Obama should have used his acceptence air time to tell them to stuff their albatross-around-the-neck award. He's got more important things to focus on than giving red meat to the Obama-nots.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Based on this award, I think all Beauty Pageant contestants should be awarded Nobel Peace prize...for aren't they the very one's whose goals are "World Peace"?

You can talk all day long but in the end it's the accomplishments that account for your mark on this world.
    The indisputable fact is that Obama has not signed or brokered a single peace agreement. Heck, he hasn't even gotten a handshake deal on anything of consequence. Of course, all that may change in the years to come.... but it hasn't happened yet. And that is what has tainted this Nobel prize, whether anyone wants to admit or not.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    He talks but there are many who walk what they say and have accomplished more than the president has done...yet. I'm sure Obama will succeed with his ambitions but it's too early to see the light at the end of his tunnel. Too Soon!
    And thus, the tragedy of the situation. I truly believe that Obama has the potential and in the right position to truly earn the Nobel prize and to do so with near universal acclaim.... after the necessary accomplishments. But by accepting the award prematurely, there will always be a stigma attached to it. Oh well.

Hmmmm. I wonder if Kanye West is planning to make any trips to Oslo?

Yo Barry, I'm really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but Hu Jia is the greatest human rights activist of all time! The GREATEST human rights activist of ALL TIME!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    Their goal is peace, and if the best way to achieve that is through consolidation of world economies through entities like the European Union and the North American Union, so be it.
    North American Union? Does that mean we'll have health care like Canada, or a Public Option like Mexico?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast