Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Micronesian in Hawaii

Aloha Craig,

I am a Haole and although I live in England, I have worked in Hawaii many times. I wouldn't say I was a racist. Many of my friends in Hawaii say,,,
    "Barry I've got to get off this rock, can we come to stay with you for a week or so?"
    I might explain that it's snowing here but that just adds to their excitetment. I never turn them down. Same as I was never turned down in Hawaii when I worked on the Dole plantation picking pineapples with the homeless people. Many were from the phillipines, accepted me and even put oil on my burned back..
    Last edited by Barry; October 25, 2009, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
      Aloha Craig,

I am a Haole and although I live in England, I have worked in Hawaii many times. I wouldn't say I was a racist. Many of my friends in Hawaii say,,,
      "Barry I've got to get off this rock, can we come to stay with you for a week or so?"
      I might explain that it's snowing here but that just adds to their excitetment. I never turn them down. Same as I was never turned down in Hawaii when I worked on the Dole plantation picking pineapples with the homeless people. Many were from the phillipines, accepted me and even put oil on my burned back..
      I've picked pineapples along with all of my schoolmates...I never thought I was ever homeless. It's what high school kids did during the summer.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A certain condo in Honolulu has a maintenance fee that requires all residents to share the electricity bill (there are no individual electricity meters for each apartment)

So, if the resident of apartment 1 uses more electricity than the resident of apartment 2, it doesn't matter....the electric bill is divided equally among them and among the rest of the residents in the building.

One day the Manager of the condo finds a lady with baskets of dirty laundry on the property.

Turns out that:

A. The lady does not live there and has no business being on the property.

B. The lady is using the washer/dryer in one of the units for free and driving up the electric bill for the real residents

C. The lady is being allowed on the property by one of her relatives who lives there.

D. Everyone's electric bill will now be higher because of this

This is just one small example of many.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          Same as I was never turned down in Hawaii when I worked on the Dole plantation picking pineapples with the homeless people. Many were from the phillipines, accepted me and even put oil on my burned back..
          Homeless people??? I thought Dole provided housing for their plantation workers back in the day.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
            D. Everyone's electric bill will now be higher because of this

This is just one small example of many.
            Different cultures have different expectations of behaviour.

A friend living in Tonga found a dead sea turtle and put the shell on her house post to dry. Within a week all the shell plates were gone, taken by neighbors and passers-by.

My next-door neighbors considered my property to be their private dumping ground. We are still digging up and discarding all sorts of trash and hazardous wastes. One of their number regularly stole our flower crops. The police would not enforce our land rights so we went out of business.

You mean examples like that? Perhaps they have some roots in culture, but I think it is more due to faulty enculturation at home and in school as well as in peer groups that engenders such violations.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              With that said, hats off to Zff for sharing some very insightful comments that was stated in a way that was honest without being patronizing nor being superficial "feel good" praise. Groups like the Micronesians and Marshallese have to deal with challenges that go beyond just being the latest in the wave of immigrants coming to the US. The circumstances that have led them to entering this country (being displaced from their homes and traditional way of life by nuclear testing) are unique and aren't directly comparable to the experience of other immigrant groups.
              yes, zff did provide some nuanced perspective not earlier discussed.

part of the original post was this:

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
              Long story short. There seems to be this negative feeling toward Micronesians, like the island is overrun, and changing the dynamics of the mix.
              and this:

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
              Was there an influx of new immigrants? Was there some kind of political change that lead to this? Or some U.S. ruling.

I've not kept up. Please keep this civil and educated.
              my post was more a commentary on the first part--how and why joe, jim, jane and jessie notsoaloha would react towards "micros" the way they do. i don't think the notsoalohas would be so nuanced in thought as zff. what zff says sits on a solid foundation (and reflects on the second part of the original post that i quoted). i'm addressing the gut reactions of those who "have this negative feeling" towards "micros" (and i'm using that term specifically and deliberately).
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Okay my bad. It's not racism per say. But we all do have some level of subjectiveness about how we feel about certain races.
                Perhaps what you refer to is ethnic pride, perhaps some refer to it as racial pride or racial identity. I view this as a positive thing; it is good to recognize and have pride in your ethnic heritage.

The flip side of his is racial discrimination (racism) - assuming everyone from a geographical group will act in a certain way.

Subjectivity is built into our human make-up, but we decide whether it rules us or we rule it.

In any ethnic/racial group there are individuals who don't fit the superimposed stereotypes. It is up to us, individually, to see people as individuals, not as stereotypes, and judge them by their actions, not their national reputation.

I think it's natural for us to expect individuals to act according to their group patterns as evidenced by past behaviours, but that is to deny them their individuality, and it also shortchanges us, making us blind to their possibilities.

A logical alternative is to be open to a person's individuality while keeping in mind the different ways of thinking that they may manifest based on their background.
                ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  Different cultures have different expectations of behaviour.

A friend living in Tonga found a dead sea turtle and put the shell on her house post to dry. Within a week all the shell plates were gone, taken by neighbors and passers-by.

My next-door neighbors considered my property to be their private dumping ground. We are still digging up and discarding all sorts of trash and hazardous wastes. One of their number regularly stole our flower crops. The police would not enforce our land rights so we went out of business.

You mean examples like that? Perhaps they have some roots in culture, but I think it is more due to faulty enculturation at home and in school as well as in peer groups that engenders such violations.
                  Or maybe it's just some people have no honor or morals.

Rather then do the right thing, they'd rather steal it or take advantage of something or someone, sorta like a sponge sucking up everything it can hold....while giving absolutely nothing back in return.

I'm not talking about all, mind you, but many.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                    Or maybe it's just some people have no honor or morals.

Rather then do the right thing, they'd rather steal it or take advantage of something or someone, sorta like a sponge sucking up everything it can hold....while giving absolutely nothing back in return.

I'm not talking about all, mind you, but many.
                    I asume you are talking about individuals, not cultures. If so I agree.
                    And funny sometimes bad people come from good homes and vice versa.
                    I'd rather rate people as individuals, not members of a certain race.

Yes, people such as you describe are out there. I know.
                    ~ ~

Comment

Was riding the bus today and read some graffiti that went like this: "Micro dots, go home."

Took me a minute to figure out what they meant. Sucks to be the new wave of immigrants.
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

The Language Line supplied for us at work has no Chuukese translator. Most bring family members, but that is spotty at best with family relationships mixed in there.

I'm sure we are not the only place needing to provide this. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                        X