Thread: Princess Ka'iulani

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Princess Ka'iulani

What do you think of the new film about Princess Ka`iulani being titled “Barbarian Princess”? Apparently the title was chosen in order to peek the public's interest, despite the offensiveness to many people. Is this a case of the almighty dollar being chosen over dignity, or, is it a case of good business judgment?

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/22029/40/

From KGMB9 news:
    “The film "Barbarian Princess" is so popular at this year's Hawaii International Film Festival that a second screening has been added. But the title is so unpopular, even the film's star doesn't like it.”
    "I'm a little saddened that in 2009, Princess Kaiulani again is going to have to be associated with being barbaric in the same sentence," said Q'orianka Kilcher, the star in "Barbarian Princess."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...=rss_localnews

An earlier Advertiser story reported:
    “Native Hawaiians yesterday expressed anger at the decision to call a soon-to-be-released feature film on Princess Ka'iulani's life "Barbarian Princess," and some went as far as to call the title a publicity stunt and an insult to the young royal's memory.”
    "Barbarian Princess," meant to be an ironic title, is what the princess was dubbed by some newspapers during her travels in the 1890s to the Mainland, where she astounded people with her grace, intelligence and beauty. The movie's producers say the title is meant to intrigue audiences, especially those outside of the Islands who wouldn't recognize her name or know her story.”

A producer and co-owner [Tijoe] explained:
    "It was a way to bring to the fore what had happened in the past," he said. Tijoe acknowledged that the film title is "provocative," and he also said part of the reason "Barbarian Princess" was picked was because of fears the other working titles wouldn't have a commercial appeal outside of Hawai'i.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Red face Re: Barbarian Princess title

Commercial draw is certainly what's being put out there as the justification for the title. But not only do I not have a problem with it on those grounds, I think it's a reasonable choice on artistic grounds as well. It's a commentary, and a rather effective one at that, insofar as it's generated so much debate around the very issue that led to that historic, crude label.

Default Re: Barbarian Princess title

I know Roy Tjioe, admire him, his partner and their company and trust his judgement. Don't tell the Advertiser but they misspelled his last name in the article above!

Why arent people upset that they used a south american to portray a hawaiian. Seems like we have plenty hawaiians that could of stepped up.
    She is peruvian/swiss.
    She is very active in indigenous rights groups.
    She was in the movie "the new world " this movie was edited due to controversy regarding her age and some sex scenes.
    Maybe the filmakkers will rethink the title before it has a general release.
    Based on the actresses viewpoints and causes i am surprised that she has gone along with the title.
    According to this link:http://hawaiifilmoffice.blogspot.com...sing-stir.html
    the movie was renamed during production and there was other controversy as well.
    Consensus seems to be that it is a less than b grade movie that fictionalizes a hawaiian story. Too bad.
    Last edited by escondido100; October 16th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by escondido100 View Post
    Why arent people upset that they used a south american to portray a hawaiian. Seems like we have plenty hawaiians that could of stepped up.
    Plenty hawaiians, yes.

But plenty native hawaiian actresses that can pass auditions, that I don't know.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Quote Originally Posted by escondido100 View Post
    Why arent people upset that they used a south american to portray a hawaiian. Seems like we have plenty hawaiians that could of stepped up.[...]
    I did not work on this movie but I can almost assure you that auditions were held that included Hawaiian and Hawaiian mixes, with and without acting experience. From my experience there is a very, very small pool of Hawaiians with strong acting chops. In Hawaii there is a very small pool of skilled actors, regardless of ethnicity. Once actors achieve a certain skill level they need to move to the mainland to keep honing their craft and availing themselves of the opportunities that aren't prevalent in Hawaii.

On a positive note, Q'orianka and her family used to live here so there's a Hawaii tie, albeit not koko. I've auditioned her, her mother and brother several times before they moved to the mainland to further Q'orianka's acting opportunities. Last I heard, she was discovered while busking on a street mall in Santa Monica.

This whole title controversy is much ado about nothing. As have been mentioned, its all marketing... after the film is gone, it will be in the DVD racks and hopefully in a few years in the $5 bin at WalMart.

I think people are being too sensitive. I have endured racial stereotypes and epithets all my life even up to today.

This reminds me of the European view of Americans as being overly litigious - suing someone else instead of taking responsibility for their mistakes.

"We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it." Abe Lincoln
    "It is equally harmful to take offense as it is to give offense." Unknown
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Default Re: Princess Ka'iulani

Saw this movie today at the Ward Theatre.

Some things didn't make sense like the princess's father not introducing the Davis family to her when they arrived at their home in England. At first I didn't know if they were related or not and it took a while for Clive and Alice's name to be said in the movie.

I was remembering that a subtitle came out and said it was 1889 when Princess Ka'iulani threw the switch to light the city of Honolulu and then later on when the King was forced to sign a document that piece of paper said 1887.