Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barbarian Princess title

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Caving into the demands of activists in this instance would be to disregard the ideas and values that Selena was fighting for in her efforts to become a crossover artist.
    AWESOME! and Kudos.....K
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
      Third screening Sunday night sold out; fourth screening added for earlier that same day - Sunday @ 10 a.m.
      Sunday's schedule for this movie ended up with 3 showings; 10a, 12:30p and 8:30p. All are sold out! Amazing!

Comment

I really want to see it when I can sometime. Got to see nighttime filming at Iolani Palace as I drove home along King Street at midnight.

Looked very elaborate.

As far as the movie's title... I think it fits.
        Because during the time of her life 'barbarian' was a word in normal usage.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The official theatrical preview is out... and it looks like it's now titled, simply, "Princess Kaiulani." IMDB lists "Barbarian Princess" as its "festival title" and "Princess Kaiulani" is the "new" U.S. release title.

Comment

Wow. I look forward to seeing the film in May. Thanks for a dose of chicken skin this morning, Ryan!

Comment

I like the (PC) Title of "Princess Kai'ulani".
              The movie starts playing on Friday 5/14/10.
              Mrs. Menehune and I will go to see it at Kahala 8 on Sunday5/16 afternoon/evening...
              Anyone else wanna meet up there? Sure looking forward to this!
              Not sure what showing yet. 3:30, 5:50, or 8:10pm. Can plan it out!
              Here's the trailer.

Comment

We're gonna be watching it at the Prince Kuhio tomorrow at 7:05pm. Say "hi" if you see me.. I'll be first in line. LOL
                A proud sponsor of
                http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Re: Princess Kaiulani

Saw it today - brief thoughts I posted to another board:

If you want to go see it because of your interest in Hawaiian culture and history ... save your money. Wait for the DVD and rent it. The historical aspects are, to put it diplomatically, "simplified" for the sake of the story. (Who knew Sanford Dole was so much a supporter of Kanaka rights?)

Beautiful scenery (many beach scenes shot out at Bellows), lovely footage from inside `Iolani Palace (the docents must have been cringing during shooting, though), and Ocean Ka`owili was perfect as Kalākaua.

You could tell who in the cast were native speakers of Hawaiian and who had been coached, and the film had a certain British "linger on the scenery during the love story sequences" technique to it.

Among the musicians, Blaine Kia has a brief but outstanding part on the beach, singing to Princess Ka`iulani upon her return to Hawai`i. Chinky Mahoe also appears in a smattering of hula sequences.

Comment

We saw it today also... 3:30 showing.

It was more of a 'date' movie than documentary. We enjoyed.
                    I think it told the basic story of the overthrow, Queen Lili'uokalani, and Princess Ka'iulani well enough. She was a brave woman and really did try to do what she could.
                    Also I liked a lot of the actors, they all did great!

Comment

Bob Jones gives his take on the movie in MidWeek.

I rate it a first-class stinker.
                      The historical liberties are too horrible to give more than a passing mention. The U.S. Marines didn’t invade Iolani Palace. They camped way makai.
                      Ka’iulani’s love affair is made up. It’s not found anywhere in her letters or those of her father, Archibald Cleghorn.
                      Ka’iulani wasn’t sent to England because of any threat to her life. Her family thought she should have a British education and she did. Simple as that.
                      Amen to all of that.

The Marines bustin' into the palace. Ka'iulani's red-hot passionate love affair. The princess fleeing to England in peril. That and all of the other historical fabrications and embellishments,.... it doesn't take a Roger Ebert to figure out why they're all in there. The moviemakers were thinking that this is the kind of stuff that you need to incorporate into the story in order to make a blockbuster film. IOW, appealing to the lowest common demoninator.

Well, if that was the aim of the moviemakers, then frankly speaking, it didn't work as Princess Kaiulani has languished at the box office.

To add insult to injury, the historical liberties that were taken in the vain attempt to make the movie more commercial has resulted in a product that misinforms and distorts the actual events re: Ka'iulani's life and the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy to those who are curious enough to rent and seek out this film on DVD in the years to come.
                      Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 4, 2010, 03:00 PM.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

FM - for once, and this may only happen once in our lifetimes - I totally agree with your whole post.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Indeed, it's a stinker all right. The best thing it could do is to steer someone towards further learning of REAL Hawaiian history.

The one thing that surprised me, however, is to learn that the Princess's engagement to Clive Davies may have a factual basis after all. A biographical writer friend tells me that she has been in touch with (a) one of the film's historical consultants, and (b) an historian connected with `Iolani Palace. They confirm that there are letters in the archives that congratulate both parties on their engagement.

All along, I assumed that was a made-up storyline --- since there are so many "tweaks" of history in the film, for the sake of cinematic interest. The electric lighting / attempted takeover / rushing the Princess to England for "safety" events all in one evening, for example, when the approximate "real" events occurred at different times over a period of about two years.

Another inaccuracy was the Princess being away in England at the time of the Bayonet Constitution; she was in Hawai`i when that happened.

But at least the mele that was sung to her on the beach was likely to have been one from that era (sung in the film by Blaine Kia).

Ocean Ka`owili played Kalakaua well, though I understand Palani Vaughan was first approached for the role, and declined due to the liberties the filmmakers intended to take (in the first draft of the script); but considering his personal history, using Chinky Mahoe as a consultant and in an on-screen hula role might not have been a good move.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Princess Kaiulani has languished at the box office.
                            Wow! It's been out almost a month and has barely earned $600,000, and it cost $9 million to make.
                            I'm thinkin' that the producers/investors just needed a tax writeoff.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Life imitates Art...or something like that. So the star of the movie is arrested in real life!
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Wow! It's been out almost a month and has barely earned $600,000, and it cost $9 million to make.
                                I'm thinkin' that the producers/investors just needed a tax writeoff.
                                I think if they made a Disney Animated version of that same movie it would have been a blockbuster.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X