Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iLind.net

Thumbs up iLind.net

As I posted on HawaiiBlog:
    Congratulations to long-time Hawaii blogger Ian Lind for logging his millionth visitor today. (When I checked in, I was logged as visitor number 1,000,050.) As Ian himself notes, the true number of iLind.net visitors likely surpasses a million a year. But he's had that old-school GIF counter from thecounter.com on his site since 1999.

Ian is one of Hawaii's most famous (or infamous) bloggers. He "made waves" by blogging the possible shutdown of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin. The newspaper survived, but his employment there did not. Fortunately, he's not stopped writing, working as a freelance writer and researcher. His blog remains a must-read resource for anyone in the local news biz.

I was especially thrilled to see him finally move over to WordPress in May. I can appreciate the joy of a hand-coded website, but the upgrade gave his readers RSS feeds and comments, and spared him the hassles of posting, linking, and archiving manually. As a result, he occasionally posts more than just once a day. Sometimes that just means more cat photos, but sometimes it means a hot scoop.

Crossing the threshold into seven figures is a noteworthy milestone. I hope Ian enjoys the extra glass of wine that he promised himself!
    Agree with him on the issues or not, I think there's no denying that Hawaii's media and political landscape is all the better with Ian at his keyboard!

Default Re: iLind.net: Here's to the next million!

I agree.

Whether I agree with him or not.

I do enjoy and appreciate his commentary, and it's one of my first reads every morning.

Cheers, Ian!

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    I agree.

Whether I agree with him or not.

I do enjoy and appreciate his commentary, and it's one of my first reads every morning.

Cheers, Ian!
    I am a frequent reader of the ilind net as well. Ian's online presence affirms that journalism is not only a career, but a lifestyle. But now he's his own boss. His pursuits benefit all of us. You cannot put out a reporter and expect that he'll not find a way to continue to do what he loves.
    AND he's put up my cats. AND I love the retro dishes that he and Meda eat from. AND his recipes are always so intriguingly spicy!

I was number 1,000,017
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

I'm another one who reads Ian's blog every morning; it's usually one of the first things on my daily list.
    And beside the facets that some of you already mentioned here, I also enjoy seeing his old family photos of the islands back in the day. And his daily photos too - the man is a terrific photographer and has a great eye for composition.
    Ho`omaika`i, Ian!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Default ianlind.net

is it just me or does Mr. Lind need some new material?? I've been following him after seeing him referenced on this site and can't seem to grasp why anyone finds him interesting. He seems to just harp on the same stuff. Let's see, he doesn't care for republicans, the Superferry, UH Regents, The Star Bulletin, Military, Home Depot, Amazon....

He talks about those being biased in their opinions like he is someone that is objective. ha!

He does like cats so that does get him a couple of points! Not trying to rag on him too much but his insight lately has been less then meaningful.

Default Re: ianlind.net

It's you.
    How come you don't know these things? Curious!

Just like with radio or TV - there's always the "off" switch. Don't read him.

Quote Originally Posted by 808golfer View Post
    is it just me or does Mr. Lind need some new material?? I've been following him after seeing him referenced on this site and can't seem to grasp why anyone finds him interesting. He seems to just harp on the same stuff. Let's see, he doesn't care for republicans, the Superferry, UH Regents, The Star Bulletin, Military, Home Depot, Amazon....

He talks about those being biased in their opinions like he is someone that is objective. ha!

He does like cats so that does get him a couple of points! Not trying to rag on him too much but his insight lately has been less then meaningful.
    I read him every day and you're right - he is extremely predictable in his reactions - he seems to have changed very little, if at all, since his college days. Nonetheless, I enjoy the cat, dog and historic photos (he is an amazingly talented photographer). His apparently unwavering belief system is an anachronism worth admiring on a certain level.

FYI, it is ilind.net.
    Last edited by glossyp; September 7th, 2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: better word choice

Default Re: iLind.net

Can I use my hawaiistories username to log in or do I have to register separate... and if so, where? Mahalo.
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Check out Ian's blog for today and see how he responds to this dicussion about him on HT.
    Also, there appears to be some confusion in the replies to his blog today. As far as I know, Aaron Stene is KonaGuy and not 808Golfer. And I think it's CraigWatanabe who works at Home Depot, not Aaron/KonaGuy, as far as I know.
    Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Check out Ian's blog for today and see how he responds to this dicussion about him on HT.
    Also, there appears to be some confusion in the replies to his blog today. As far as I know, Aaron Stene is KonaGuy and not 808Golfer. And I think it's CraigWatanabe who works at Home Depot, not Aaron/KonaGuy, as far as I know.
    Whew.
    Yup, it looks like those comments were wrongly attributed to me. Besides that I don't think its right to be trashing someone else blog by making comments like 808golfer did. It is not my style. I sent Ian an e-mail and tried to give him a call. But he was not home.

I appreciate ZZTYPE making that comment pointing out Ian's gaffe . Also yes I don't work at Home Depot, I work at the other big box lumber outlet.

I'm a bit irritated by this. But I look at this way also, it gives a slew free exposure to my blog
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

I received a e-mail from Ian a few moments ago. Apparently when I e-mailed him the comments by 808golfer recently,he misinterpreted them as mine. Anyway he did strike the offending comments from his blog directed to me.

Also thank you Ryan for your comments correcting Ian's blog.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
    [...](he is an amazingly talented photographer). [...]
    At the end of Ian's Sept. 6 entry there's a photo taken on the beach at Kaaawa. A magnificent photo. Click on it for a larger view. Methinks he should market it!

I mistakenly think everybody reads Ian daily as I do. Obviously that isn't the case, given his frequent entries about Home Depot and Amazon.com and how neither are consumer friendly to Hawaii. Or maybe no one reads Lee Cataluna. Or maybe they don't read each other.

Ian's blog today notes the mistake from yesterday. Scroll down to yesterday's blog and note how he changed it with strikeouts. Two new comments there as well, from a couple of familiar cyber-faces.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    I mistakenly think everybody reads Ian daily as I do.
    I only read his stuff if it is about somebody I know and I get notified by Google about it. Otherwise it is a good place to stop and look at all the pretty pictures of Ka'awa, and the cats.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Default ilend.net

so is the media watchdog asleep at the switch?? The top media position in the state (Advertiser) changes from someone here for 15 years to a tiny paper from Guam and he has NO COMMENT???? Must be too busy warning the turtles in the path of the superferry.

Default Re: ilend.net

Erroneous post - sorry.
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 13th, 2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: speaking of being asleep at the switch...

Unhappy Re: iLind.net

Please click this link for something just posted about Ian's insane column in the Honolulu Weakly in last week's issue.
    There was nothing about it on his blog, which I read daily, but Ian Lind "regulars" need to see what it was.
    Sadly, it makes me wonder if he's getting senile, or... ?

And for a different perspective, you can click my link to read the story I wrote about the Thunderbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    And for a different perspective, you can click my link to read the story I wrote about the Thunderbirds.
    Applause!!!
    VERY nice article! You nailed it. Your last two sentences -- perfect! Makes me wonder even more what the hell Ian Lind was thinking.
    And you got to ride with the Hurricane Hunters? I'm sooooo jealous! Is there a link to your article about that? (Assuming you wrote one, of course.)

Applause!!![...]
    I second that!

Awesome column, LG!

Applause!!!
    VERY nice article! You nailed it. Your last two sentences -- perfect! Makes me wonder even more what the hell Ian Lind was thinking.
    And you got to ride with the Hurricane Hunters? I'm sooooo jealous! Is there a link to your article about that? (Assuming you wrote one, of course.)
    Thank you so much LikaNui and Tutusue. I was struggling with what to write after writing for two months about pedicures that made women in East Oahu wild! So I really wanted to share what I felt, what I believed, and that I respected those who don't feel the same way. Ian Lind is one of those people. How one feels about the military isn't a reflection of his intelligence, but his strong emotions regarding war in general. I married into a family who attends Friends meetings in Manoa and come from a Menonite/Quaker background. We'll never discuss military might but we do agree that there's a shrub in the White House.
    I hope more of you read my column as I thought I had done a good job.

And by the way, LikaNui, I wrote the Hurricane Hunters story way back in 1994, so I think there might be a clip in The Advertiser's library, or it might be on microfiche at the state library. My byline was Paula Gillingham. THAT was a very, very cool experience!

Unhappy Re: iLind.net

From Ian Lind's blog this morning:

I took kind of a pounding in the letters to the editor of the current issue now on the racks. (...)
    Isnít there a niggle of doubt about how Jesus would have reacted to such militarist displays? I have trouble imaging Mr. Turn the Other Cheek saying heís turned on by these shadows of war.
    Um. Well. I guess just... um.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast