Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaiian Telcom's “MyChoice Plus Broadband” bundle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Telcom's “MyChoice Plus Broadband” bundle?

Has anyone signed up for one of these?

Saturday's mail included a Hawaiian Tel flyer addressed specifically to our names (not just “resident” or “valued customer”). It's offering $49.99/month pricing for “life” on their “MyChoice Plus” bundle of land-line phone service plus 3 Mbps DSL.

We've been subscribing to Hawaiian Tel's local phone service (no long distance) and 3 Mbps DSL since March 2007, paying roughly $57.87/month:
    Residence Line $14.40
    Touch Call $1.65
    Statewide 911 Emergency Service Surcharge $0.27
    Intrastate Surcharge $1.81
    Federal Universal Service Fee (Primary Line) $0.83
    PUC Fee $0.04
    Telecommunications Relay Service $0.05
    Federal Excise Tax $0.77
    General Excise Tax $0.31
    Subscriber Line Charge Sgl Ln $6.50
    TOTAL LOCAL CHARGES $26.63

Hawaiian Telcom High Speed Internet $29.99
    General Excise Tax $1.25

TOTAL INTERNET SERVICES $31.24

We haven't really had any reason to complain about or mess with our Hawaiian Tel service. We don't have cell phones and don't plan to get any. We subscribe to Oceanic's standard analog cable service but it's not reliable enough for us to sign up for their Internet or digital phone service. (A connection box at the top of our street floods out after every big rainfall.) No HDTV, no plans to get one.

In addition to what we already have, the bundle would throw in free nationwide long-distance calling. In our case that adds up to maybe $20/year on an AT&T calling card, although it could rise when our kid starts college in 302 days. But she'd probably call us on her cell phone anyway.

My first question is whether that bundle is $49.99 instead of $57.87, or whether the bundle is $49.99 plus fees/taxes instead of $14.40 + $29.99 plus fees/taxes. The first is a savings of only $7.88/month while the second starts at $44.39 and adds at least $10.58 of fees/taxes for just free long-distance service. The phrase “Taxes, surcharges, and fees apply” is buried down at the end of the fine print but it might only apply to their wireless service.

I wonder if “life” is “my lifespan” or “until we persuade the bankruptcy court to jack up your rates”. The flyer includes the usual fine-print weasel words that essentially let them do anything short of a class-action lawsuit. Otherwise Hawaiian Tel could be stuck with us for 20-30 years. But in 20-30 years cell phones might be given away in cereal boxes and phone bills might be a nickel.

I'll call Hawaiian Tel next week (or as soon as I can get through to customer service). Has anyone signed up for a $49.99 bundle? Any other gotchas I should watch out for?
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Re: Hawaiian Telcom's “MyChoice Plus Broadband” bundle?

HT's net service isn't yet available in Kalihi Uka, alas.

Comment

I've had the MyChoice bundle since it's inception. I think it originally started out at $59.99/mo. A couple of years ago (possibly when the economy really started to tank) the service was then offered for $54.99. I called and asked if an existing customer could get the new price and was told yes. IIRC, the DSL speed changed with the price. Now it's dropped to $49.99 and I'll be on the phone tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up, Nords!

The price is exclusive of all the fees. I don't have my Quicken account handy but, iirc, my $54.99 service comes out to approx. $70./mo. I think you also get to choose 3 (5?) options such as call forwarding, call waiting, yada, yada. Come to think of it, the $70/mo. price also includes voice mail service which is $5./mo, I think. Wish I had access to my bill right now but I don't. It's been a good deal for me because, when I have a casting project in, my assistant is constantly calling actors who have long distance area codes even tho' they may be across the street! I need to keep my cell phone free for client phone calls.

Oh, too funny. The commercial just aired and guess what? I cast it! In my defense I wasn't working off a script, only a talent breakdown. Still...

ETA...Albert, DSL isn't available in Kalihi Uka? Really? It's been available for years in Makaha and that truly is "the sticks"!
      Last edited by tutusue; October 18, 2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Really glad that you're satisfied with HawTel.
        My internet, especially mail connection got messed up too often with them for me.
        I was late to cellphone conversion, but now that I've got it? Cool!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          The price is exclusive of all the fees. I don't have my Quicken account handy but, iirc, my $54.99 service comes out to approx. $70./mo.
          Eh, bummer, I was afraid of that. But you've saved me at least 20 minutes on hold waiting today to be misled by a customer service rep. Adding on the fees would still save us a few bucks a month, though, and maybe insulate us against rate increases for a while.

I'll send them an e-mail and then maybe call later this week when the rush has died down.

Whenever I get one of these personalized offers I wonder how much longer I should hold out...
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Comment

I just called, Nords, and the hold time was only a couple of minutes. This special is not available to existing MyChoice customers so I can't take advantage of it. Poor customer relations, as I see it. Regardless, I recommend the bundled service.

Comment

My parents have the MyChoice bundle. It is really nice to have unlimited inter island and mainland long distance, along with your landline and DSL.

However the only gotcha is the onerous amount of fees and taxes. My parents bill is like 80.00 something a month.

However, if you want strictly Internet access and don't want to pay those fees there is dry DSL.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                HT's net service isn't yet available in Kalihi Uka, alas.
                Are you serious? You ought to march right into the downtown office and demand it.

We get DSL on Molokai (but NO HT Wi-Fi Hot Spot, alas).
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Are you serious? You ought to march right into the downtown office and demand it.

We get DSL on Molokai (but NO HT Wi-Fi Hot Spot, alas).
                  DSL on Molokai? I live in Keaau down by the ocean and we don't have DSL or Cable, gotta go with Advanced Wireless which is really irking me these past few days. Paying $50 a month for 61Kbs. Tonight it literally dropped to 1kbs! Dial up is 56 times faster!!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[...]iirc, my $54.99 service comes out to approx. $70./mo. I think you also get to choose 3 (5?) options such as call forwarding, call waiting, yada, yada. Come to think of it, the $70/mo. price also includes voice mail service which is $5./mo, I think.[...]
                    Update...with bill in hand!

My bundled service is $55.95/mo.
                    My extras are:
                    non-published listing @ $1.20/mo
                    basic home voice mail @ $5./mo
                    Then add all the taxes, surcharges & reg. fees!
                    My total is $75.66/mo

Faster DSL service is available and would cost more.

Comment

Update...with bill in hand!
                      My bundled service is $55.95/mo.
                      My extras are:
                      non-published listing @ $1.20/mo
                      basic home voice mail @ $5./mo
                      Then add all the taxes, surcharges & reg. fees!
                      My total is $75.66/mo
                      Faster DSL service is available and would cost more.
                      So about $13.50 in "surcharges & fees".

What a pleasant surpise-- I called Hawaiian Tel and a human picked right up before the voicemail even got going.

"Mark" says our monthly bill would go from $57.87/month to a little over $63, so $49.99 isn't quite the whole story-- more of that $13+ in surcharges & fees. We'd get "free" features like call waiting, caller ID, state directory assistance, plus the U.S./Canada unlimited long distance and discounts on international. But Hawaiian Tel isn't offering anything that would actually reduce our current bill.

I told them we'd pass. I wonder if we'll ever get a better offer.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me nail down the numbers!

Comment

I've had the Hawaiian Telcom bundle since it started and wouldn't change it. I can't get the fastest speed because I'm about 2 miles from the closest hub.But the internet is very reliable. And their phone will continue to work when the power goes out: Oceanic's digital phone goes out when the power does. Plus the package is much cheaper than Oceanic.

Comment

Working...
                        X