Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jessica Watson, 16, sailing around the world

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    I really do wish her well, but I'm rather concerned about her "I'm not much of an astronomer" comment. That makes it sound like she's relying solely on electronic navigation aids and that she can't use a sextant for her navigation... and (assuming that's true) that's an extremely dangerous mistake.
    All of us HT boating folks know that when it comes to boats it's not a question of IF the electronics will fail, it's just a question of WHEN. Month after month of salt spray will practically guarantee problems, and if she can't navigate without them, then... [/gulp]
    Lord have mercy on that innocent child.
    I couldn't agree more with you. As an ex officer in the Brit. Royal navy, we were taught to use a sextant. That was in the days before sat nav but that equipment has become more sophisticated these days.
    Still, I would never put out to sea without my old stand byes, chronometer, compass, etc.

Comment

I get lost in the city I grew up in. Tackle a world sail without at least five different ways of checking my location? Uh-uh!

However, she may have just been referring to not been able to name constellations rather than not being able to navigate.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Jessica Watson did it! 7 months around the world sail completed. Too cool!
        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100515/...a_young_sailor
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

That 16-yo young lady has more... uh... 'fortitude' than most men I know.

MORE power to her, forever!

She knows how to BELIEVE!

K
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            Jessica Watson did it! 7 months around the world sail completed. Too cool!
            She did indeed complete what is a historic accomplishment. Too bad some sour notes are emanating from a war of words between Watson's P.R. team and the sailing press, as reported by Sail-World.com.
            Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 16, 2010, 06:55 PM.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

* bump *

Laura Dekker, discussed earlier in this thread, finished her round-the-world sail yesterday. She's 16 years old now.
              She was 14 when this first came up and the Dutch government wouldn't let her go at that time, though they finally did.
              She claims to be the youngest person to sail singlehanded around the world, but Guiness Book Of World Records no longer recognizes that category because they feel the category encourages young people to do something that is far too dangerous.
              I agree with that, but I congratulate Laura on her successful trip.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Here's a quick news vid... http://www.usatoday.com/video/news/1407951329001

What an incredible feat at any age. I think it's cool!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

For the record, the Watson and Dekker circumnavigations are apples and oranges. Watson sailed nonstop via the much rougher Southern Ocean, and completed the trip in 210 days. Dekker never did a longer passage than three weeks, stopped frequently, sailed a less arduous course, and took 361 days to finish (518 days, if you count the time it took to make her way from The Netherlands to St. Martin). This is not to denigrate what Dekker has accomplished, but simply to note that Watson faced a much greater challenge.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    For the record, the Watson and Dekker circumnavigations are apples and oranges. Watson sailed nonstop via the much rougher Southern Ocean, and completed the trip in 210 days. Dekker never did a longer passage than three weeks, stopped frequently, sailed a less arduous course, and took 361 days to finish (518 days, if you count the time it took to make her way from The Netherlands to St. Martin). This is not to denigrate what Dekker has accomplished, but simply to note that Watson faced a much greater challenge.
                    Actually, Abby Sunderland had a greater accomplishment than either Jessica Watson or Laura Dekker. Really. So sez a publicist for Dekker and Sunderland.

http://www.eurasiareview.com/1901201...essica-watson/

Yet according to Dekker’s former manager, the teenage adventurer with the best sailing record is American teen Abby Sunderland – who had to abandon her quest to be the youngest solo-sailor after being hit by a rogue wave in the Indian Ocean in 2010.

“Jessica’s trip was almost over before it started when she hit a bulk carrier. By comparison, Abby hit nothing but was simply a victim of extreme weather,” explained Lyall Mercer, who has worked with both Sunderland and Dekker.
                    “Jessica ran into a ship and Laura could basically wait out rough weather until it was safe. Of the three sailors, Abby is the stand-out. She is the youngest person to round Cape Horn solo and was on track to complete her journey when a wave – not a ship – stopped her.”

Mercer said it was ironic that Sunderland is still not always given the credit for such a tremendous feat. “There is no doubt that all three are amazing girls and great sailors, but Abby has the best record and this should be recognised,” he said.
                    Poor guy is almost as deluded as the Sunderlands themselves.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The parents of this young lady stand to make a lot of money from her
                      Brave Circumnavigation.
                      There was bill passed called the Coogan Act that defined Parental rights in these
                      sorts of cases.
                      Jackie Coogan was later to emerge as Uncle Fester in the popular tv show
                      "the Addams Family"
                      Oddly enough Charles Addams was one of Jaqueline Kennedys romantic
                      liasons for a short time.

Comment

Working...
                      X