Rx insurance in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rx insurance in Hawaii

Im stunned. Im aghast. I just spent two weeks worth of grocery money on one prescription med. I am in biiiiig trouble here.

Is Rx insurance available here in Hawaii? I just lost my coverage from the mainland, and now my regular monthly Rx costs about 200% more than it used to! Im really freaked out and upset. What, if any, Rx assistance options are available to me?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Rx insurance in Hawaii

Do you income qualify for a state program?
    Are your prescriptions generic or brand name?
    The Medicare thread should have some applicable info for you as there's discussion about out of pocket drug costs.

Comment

Where did you get your prescription? Some places -- I think Walgreens and Walmart -- offer $5 prescriptions if your meds fall under their approved list.

If that doesn't work, you can talk to your doctor and he might be able to get you samples; or he could switch you to a generic if you're not already on it. Another option; I have a medication I take twice a day, and my doctor prescribes me a higher dose which I then cut in half. Buying less of the higher dose is cheaper than buying more of the lower dose.

Finally there's the option of contacting the drug company itself, sometimes they'll be able to work with you to get your medication free or at reduced cost.
      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Oh, darling:

If you have insurance, (i.e., if you are working), there may be help.
        If no medical insurance, you is in deep "KIM CHEE!"
        Prescription meds are expensive.

I'm enrolled with Kaiser, and my plan charges me $15 for a month supply.

Some of these meds are over $200 for 30 pcs!!!!

You know what is next:

Have your Rep or Sen vote FOR med insurance reform!

K?
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

TG,

I googled "Prescription Assistance" and found the "Partnership for Prescription Assistance" (PPA) website:

http://www.pparx.org/about_us/facts_about_ppa

You may have seen Montel Williams doing some public service announcements during nationwide bus tours for the PPA; he's their official spokesperson. I think a few years ago the PPA even brought Montel and the bus tour to Hawaii to build awareness for the organization.

The list of partners includes the American Academy of Family Physicians; American Cancer Society; American Heart Association; NAACP; United Way of America, and more than 50 other credible organizations.

Some starter points from the "About Us" page:

• The PPA helps uninsured and financially struggling patients who lack prescription coverage get access to prescription assistance programs that offer medicines for free or nearly free.
          • The PPA is free, confidential and makes it easy for patients to find programs for which they may be eligible to apply.
          • Offers a single point of access to information on 475 public and private patient assistance programs, including nearly 200 programs offered by pharmaceutical companies.
          • PPA member programs offer more than 2,500 brand-name medicines, including a wide range of generics.
          • Helps patients contact government programs such as Medicaid and Medicare.
          • More than 40 of the assistance programs focus on the medication and healthcare needs of children.
          • Informs patients about free health care clinics in their communities.
          • Assists patients with chronic disease in learning about the types of new medicines in development that may help them.
          The website contains info on Medicare & Medicaid/CHIP programs, as well as other programs and resources.
          The following link provides a database where you can search for Patient Assistance Programs by drug name or pharmaceutical company name:

http://www.pparx.org/prescription_as...ating_programs

Last but not least, from their website home page (boldface wording as shown on the PPA website):

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance will help you find the program that’s right for you, free of charge. Remember, you will never be asked for money by a PPA Call Center representative, or on this Web site.
          I hope this info might be of some help in your search for viable options.
          Wishing you the best of luck--

musubi
          To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

I know CVS has a drug assistance plan thru them. They have info on their website. And sometimes if you write to the drug manufacturer, they will send you coupons.

I'm so sorry. Before we finally got insurance and met our $3k deductible, I was paying over $400 a month for my Rx's and we didn't meet any qualifications for assistance. It totally sucks. Good luck!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
            X