X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soupy Sales - R.I.P. and a pie in the face

Soupy has done his last shuffle on this plane:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...OGM9gD9BGJ0T80

The comic's pie-throwing schtick became his trademark, and celebrities lined up to take one on the chin alongside Sales. During the early 1960s, stars such as Frank Sinatra, Tony Curtis and Shirley MacLaine received their just desserts side-by-side with the comedian on his television show.

"I'll probably be remembered for the pies, and that's all right," Sales said in a 1985 interview.

Much more than pies

Soupy had a good long run and will always be one of my all-time faves. Too bad virtually all his TV footage is long gone and only us boomers knew how fun it was, and even tho he was retired for decades, he was still loved by millions to the end.
    I hope the crowd at the funeral goes into full pie fight flight.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Soupy Sales - R.I.P. and a pie in the face

Aaaaaaawww...I LOVED Soupy Sales. Used to watch him in the rec room of my college dorm. The room was always packed for that show. How funny that his stage name prior to Soupy Sales was Soupy Heinz!

I can't believe his shows weren't archived. I would've been first in line for a DVD set.

RIP, Soupy, and thanks for the memories.

Comment

YouTubers have been putting up assorted clips. Someone had the stripper clip from Soupy's birthday show...both the on camera shot and then the unedited backstage shot...but I think it got pulled.

But the thing I remember was the music he'd have on like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxSkzgxsIkg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNv3r...layer_embedded

The Mouse from his show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1_F9zEF7o

When he hosted the Hulabaloo Dance show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGEJuyBdxJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XWa4...eature=related
        Last edited by Peshkwe; October 23, 2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Very sad. Soupy worked for me on the radio in the mid-80's, which was very cool because I had been a fan of his for over 20 years before that.

I hired him to do a midday radio show on WNBC Radio, between Don Imus and Howard Stern. Our first meeting with Soupy was in a restaurant on the lower level of 30 Rock in Manhattan. Soupy arrived, sat down, and asked the waiter if he had frog’s legs. The waiter said yes. Soupy said, “Wear long pants and no one will notice.” I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Someone at the table then mentioned to Soupy that he appeared to be in great shape. Soupy said, “Funny you should mention that. I was at the gym today and this young girl was watching me work out. I mentioned that she probably noticed that I still had the body of a 20-year old. She said ‘Yeah...and you better give it back because you’re getting it wrinkled’.”

By the time the lunch was over, I knew I was going to do anything I could to get him on the air. I loved his show and he was probably the hardest working performer I ever worked with in my broadcasting career.

And he was a nice guy, too.

I can remember sitting in his apartment in 1986 watching the New York Mets win the World Series while Soupy served his famous "Soupy Dogs" (great chili dogs).

Imus and Stern were both jealous of Soupy and I spent much of my time trying to keep the peace. Sometimes I felt like Ward Cleaver. And with Wolfman Jack doing overnights on the station, there were a lot of egos with which to contend. Soupy, though, was a lot of fun to be around and introduced me to a lot of the old-school entertainers. Lunches with Soupy at the Friars Club were a real trip. I even got the opportunity to pull a practical joke on Soupy on one of Dick Clark's Bloopers shows. I was very fortunate to be associated with him.

Unfortunately, Soupy had a stroke a few years ago. I spoke with Soupy and his wife Trudy recently and could tell he wasn’t doing well. God bless Trudy for taking care of him over the last few years. She’s been a saint.

Soupy was one of the funniest (if not THE funniest) people I ever met.

God must have needed a good laugh.

Comment

Cool story!

I always wanted to hang with Soupy. He did come off under all the crazy as being a nice guy. Glad to know he was.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
              [...]
              And he was a nice guy, too.
              [...]
              This is the best part!

Thanks for your memories, DaleP. Lucky you to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                This is the best part!

Thanks for your memories, DaleP. Lucky you to have them.
                Lucky me, indeed! I have been truly blessed over the years.

I have to say, the vast majority of the "big names" that I have met have been very decent and nice people. There have been a few that you could classify as "jerks," but that's no different from real life.

Soupy, though, was a real gem. My brother once came to New York for a visit and Soupy went above and beyond to make it a memorable visit. My brother still talks about it to this day.

Soupy always took the time to talk with fans who would stop him on the street. He made them feel special and as if they were the most important person in his life at that moment. I asked him one time if he ever got tired of it and he told me, "Absolutely not! I'd be nothing without them." He felt he owed it to them because they had given him so much.

I laugh when I hear celebrities complain that they can't have any privacy because of fans hounding them in public. Soupy loved his fans...and his fans loved him.

Comment

Is Krusty the Clown from The Simpsons based on him?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Is Krusty the Clown from The Simpsons based on him?
                    I don't think so. I believe he's based on a TV clown that The Simpsons creator watched when he was a kid. I read somewhere, however, Dan Castellaneta's Krusty voice was inspired by "Bozo the Clown" in Chicago.

On the other hand, Paul Reuben's "Pee Wee Herman" character was pretty obviously based on Soupy. We used to say "Pee Wee's Playhouse" was like watching Soupy's show on acid.

Comment

Here's a little Detroit Soupy history:

http://www.detroitkidshow.com/naked_soupy.htm
                      (has the stripper footage archived)

http://www.detroitkidshow.com/soupys_on.htm

And Tutu! Being you like Jazz, check out the last link on that last page you won't be sorry!
                      Last edited by Peshkwe; October 24, 2009, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Re: Much more than pies

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        Soupy had a good long run and will always be one of my all-time faves. Too bad virtually all his TV footage is long gone and only us boomers knew how fun it was.
                        Only a few snippets remain of Soupy's classic B/W work during the 1950s and '60s. OTOH, virtually all of his late 1970s color episodes have been preserved.

Soupy was a master at pie-ing and getting pie-d. But he truly met his match when he appeared alongside Moe Howard (of 3 Stooges fame) on the Mike Douglas Show. Great stuff!
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. Its funny but at a party a little over a week ago a friend and I were laughing over Soupy Sales routines. As a kid I always caught his afternoon show on channel 7 from LA. Thanks to all for the interesting stories.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                            On the other hand, Paul Reuben's "Pee Wee Herman" character was pretty obviously based on Soupy. We used to say "Pee Wee's Playhouse" was like watching Soupy's show on acid.
                            I'm a fan of Paul Reubens aka Pee Wee Herman. So, I would watch the Soupy Sales show, the ones that still exist if they run those on a cable channel.
                            Was that an urban legend story about him telling kids to take the green paper from their parent's wallet and send it to him? That's edgy comedy for its time.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              I'm a fan of Paul Reubens aka Pee Wee Herman. So, I would watch the Soupy Sales show, the ones that still exist if they run those on a cable channel.
                              Was that an urban legend story about him telling kids to take the green paper from their parent's wallet and send it to him? That's edgy comedy for its time.
                              Nope that was true and he got a weeks suspension for it. Here's Soupy telling about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-OGy3Kh7yM

Comment

Working...
                              X