Soupy Sales - R.I.P. and a pie in the face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soupy Sales - R.I.P. and a pie in the face

Indeed, the story is true, and he was summoned to the station's head office the next day and fired for it. But the furor of hundreds of viewers picketing and sending letters forced the studio to put him back on!

But what most people don't do is tell the full story.
    They usually forget the tag at the end where after telling the kids to go into their parents bedroom, but not to wake them because they were tired from the New Years party that evening, and to get all the green pieces of paper that had pictures of men with beards and send it to him, "and I'll send you a postcard from Puerto Rico!".
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

A pie is left on the star of Soupy Sales on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        A pie is left on the star of Soupy Sales on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009.
        Perfect! How fitting!

Comment

That's just cool

Comment

Wow!

It's unreal the number of big stars who got pied by Soupy over the years. Who else but Soupy could hit Frank Sinatra in the face with a pie...and have Frank actually laugh about it? Soupy estimated that there were over 20,000 pies in his career.

And he was very specific about the type of pie. In his memoir, "Soupy Sez," he wrote, “You can use whipped cream, egg whites or shaving cream, but shaving cream is much better because it doesn’t spoil. And no tin plates. The secret is you just can’t push it and shove it in somebody’s face. It has to be done with a pie that has a lot of crust so that it breaks up into a thousand pieces when it hits you.” Someone once tried to hit him with a still-frozen Mrs. Smith's pie...and it nearly knocked him out.

I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more than just a few passing news stories about Soupy on TV. Of course, I don't know why I should be surprised. Ed McMahon tribute shows that I tried to record on MSNBC kept getting bounced by an umpteenth rerun of an old Michael Jackson interview.

Soupy was a true TV pioneer.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
              I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more than just a few passing news stories about Soupy on TV. Of course, I don't know why I should be surprised.
              I'm glad he's getting at least what he has. The true artists of the past and present usually get the short stick, and probably always will with our brainless ways.
              Soupy could even dance better than MJ
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
              X