Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Funny thing after I read a lot of these posts.

When I was living in Washington as I was growing up... because I was Mullatto...(half black half white)

The town I lived in had a very low percentage of African American people, and because of this...there was a high prejudice towards African Americans.

At the time... I had plenty family in Hawaii...and to avoid the "Nigger" name tag that would have been associated with me... my parents taught me the phrase hapa haole...which at the time where I lived just meant Half White.

Funny thing is... most the people would think I was Mexican or Indian due to the large amount of immigrant farm workers in the area. (they were really considered the lower part of the social stratification in the area...therefore, using the words...hapa haole would at least get me away from being associated (by skin tone alone) with the (harsh words to follow...) "Spics" or the "Indians"

The word Haole can be used many different ways.... I have heard it used from a descriptive word to a racist word to a word that pretty much was mis-pronounced...ie; they said "hole" when it was spelled Haole however they thought the "A" was misplaced.
    What part of Washington? I have family living in Burmington (spelling). I was suppose to go up there to live, but things changed. How's the Hawaii transplant population there?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      Funny thing after I read a lot of these posts.

When I was living in Washington as I was growing up... because I was Mullatto...(half black half white)

The town I lived in had a very low percentage of African American people, and because of this...there was a high prejudice towards African Americans.

At the time... I had plenty family in Hawaii...and to avoid the "Nigger" name tag that would have been associated with me... my parents taught me the phrase hapa haole...which at the time where I lived just meant Half White.

Funny thing is... most the people would think I was Mexican or Indian due to the large amount of immigrant farm workers in the area. (they were really considered the lower part of the social stratification in the area...therefore, using the words...hapa haole would at least get me away from being associated (by skin tone alone) with the (harsh words to follow...) "Spics" or the "Indians"

The word Haole can be used many different ways.... I have heard it used from a descriptive word to a racist word to a word that pretty much was mis-pronounced...ie; they said "hole" when it was spelled Haole however they thought the "A" was misplaced.
      Haven't heard the word "mulatto" used in a long time, I thought it fell into disuse along with the word "negro." It's somewhat interesting that your parents taught you the phrase hapa haole, while hapa pōpolo is equally apt. There's a great deal of politics behind the appropriation of the Hawaiian word hapa by the "multiracial" community (particularly those that have some Asian ancestry) to describe themselves. Here's a link that delves into the issue in more detail....
      http://www.realhapas.com/
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

sounds like all Hawaiians are hapa now a days. The most Hawaiian person I've ever know is my friend Trevor, I think he's 75% Hawaiian. The cool thing is, his whole family speaks Hawaiian.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
          The Hawaiian word haole is no where near as assaultive,
          Using the word Haole in the race context, it's not the word Haole that is assaultive (Ho I like dat word) it's the word used in front of it. Also the word pōpolo is another word that has become misued because it does not mean Black, but over the years that's what it has come to mean by the people who use it. So in a thousand of years from now if you where to come back I would suspect that a lot of the words used today will not mean the same as they do now. This whole topic does not just apply to the Hawaiian language it really applies to most languages, hence "He's bad man" or how about "He's gay" and many others. When people say these phrases are they saying that the man in question is a bad man or is the man a really happy person?
          List of local people living on the mainland

Never forgotten

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/pomai44/pow.gif

Comment

After seeing the movie CRASH , I do believe that we are ALL racist in one form or another. It's the message I'm getting from the posts in this thread. Living in this wonderful place has just made us better people because there is no race the is the majority.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

on guam they do a similar thing as breathing on each other... its called mangingi. to greet an elder (usually a relative) you take their hand and sniff it. their supposedly taking in or sniffing their spirit. so yeah.. another fun fact
              Ebb And Flow

Comment

yeah. i think everyone is racist in one form or another.. race is so important becuase its ones identity. around the world , most especially in the pacific oceania region , peoples identity are fading i think.. preserving that identity and its authenticity might come off as being ''racist''.. which i guess , it sort of is but , considering how colonized the pacific region is , i think its only fair that the indigenous peoples get a good hold of their land and stuff before its too late. ''native'' shouldn't be just another in ingredient in the melting pot..

in the united states , everyone is supposed to have equal rights. but i dont think thier will ever be a black president (at least anytime soon) , the reason being becuase america isnt ready to give up their identity as a ''white nation''..... thats a little far fetched but you know... white politicians think they'll be best in securing and handling america's issues.
                Ebb And Flow

Comment

This thread made me remember a discussion a teacher was having with a young student many years ago. The young student was using "haole" in a negative way to taunt another student. In explaining why the young student should not do so, the teacher told him that he was also technically a haole since he was causasian. The young student was very upset and said he was going to tell his mother what the teacher said. When he told his mother what the teacher said, the mother (according to the student) smacked him on the head and said, "Stupid. You are haole." The chastened student said all that time he thought he was Portagee. *g*

Comment

Re: Not For Haoles?

Originally posted by Karen
                    undefined
                    I had been told that the word "haole" meant foreigner originally, and in reality, but that now it means "caucasian."
                    stop, stop, stop, everyone right there.
                    It means many things; according to the context. JUST as with many, if not all.... other Hawaiian words, do too.
                    Mainland semantical dogma can NOT be translated to da islands;
                    ONE word does NOT mean ONE thing. here.
                    k den.
                    Last edited by kimo55; April 18, 2006, 02:00 AM.

Comment

In this case however, Haole has taken on a derogatory definition unfortunately. One of the sad truths is though that some of Hawaii's strongest opponents of the occupation of "Haole" are Hawaiians that have Haole last names like...shall I say: Trask?
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        One of the sad truths is though that some of Hawaii's strongest opponents of the occupation of "Haole" are Hawaiians that have Haole last names like...shall I say: Trask?
                        To me this demonstrates that the issue is not race but culture.

I would blame state government for the fact that development does not translate into a higher standard of living for most Hawaiians and locals.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Re: How bad is the surfing localism

Originally posted by Stephen
                          I don't mind the Haole tag, but I'd be curious to see someone throw around the G work for Asians or the N word for blacks/African Americans or S word for Hispanics. And if you missed it the last time, I don't mind being a Haole - it's not a sin. However, I have encountered several anti-Haole sentiments in the water - but I am usually able to diffuse them with my surf-ability. Sure, there have been occasions where a group of "local" thugs have pushed me to another break - I move on because I am not a fan of fighting and I'd rather catch 5 smaller waves than 1 bigger one. But then, I'm in the water waiting for a wave/my turn and I have to laugh . . . . a cute (and not much English speaking) Asian girl will paddle out and is "accepted" because they are not Haole. In any case, it makes me laugh. I apologize (sarcasm) for having white skin.
                          Aloha Ragin,

Haole is our word. If we were going to call a black person the "n" word, we would be imitating something else from somewhere else--and using that lense for that word. As for blacks, we call them Popolo or Pa'ele. As for Asians, we don't call them Asians, because we don't see Asians as uh, Asians. We call them Pake, we call the Kepani or Japani and so forth, without confusing ethnicities. And a haole is a haole. A slur is a slur, but seeing someone as who he is isn't a slur--its recognition. Take it for that, and don't give away your mana because you are seeing it for something that well might not be.

So relax. Plenty of everybody has all kinds of bloods here.

pax

Comment

I half heartedly apologize for the reply that I am about to type. . . .

While I respect Pua'i Mana'o's response, I must reply. As I mentioned, I don't mind being called a haole - ask any of my local pals and they'll tell you that I refer to myself as a haole. Your word/my word is a lame argument. The word haole 200 years ago meant foreigner (or no breath or foreign breath, etc) - not stupid white arsehole (which it has evolved into.) I absolutely respect the evolution of the word - idiot white people visit the islands (along with idiots of every other race/color/creed) and support the stereotype. And I know I should have been more specific about the Asian racial slur - I was just trying to make a point - the words are all hurtful and should disappear. In the same vein, since we're separating the variations of Asian descent, why are there not different terms for haoles of different descent - are the Irish/English/German/Italian haoles so similar that they require no differentiantion?

I feel that I must point out that using a racial term can be offensive - while it might not bother me to be called a haole (even with the expletives pre and post,) it does offend some people. It is all too often used in a negative manner as a racial epithet - and I'm not saying to stop using, but think before you speak (cause we all know I don't!)

No, really, I have not been overserved. Read the above ramblings with a grain of salt - they are tainted with the fruit of the vine, but that's not to say they aren't the smartest words put to internet paper today.

Ragin like a Mo Fo Cajun

Comment

Haole, honky, gringo, round-eye, paleface. It's enough to make me want to join the Aryan Brotherhood - except I'm afraid of guns.

Comment

What I don't understand is when I cruise down the road I see in backs of peoples windows big ol' stickers saying; "Chamorro Power", "Hawaiian Power" and various incantations representing the hispanic and latino communities (all ending in the word "power" tho')

I have not seen a "White Power" sticker though. Do they even make them?
                                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
                                X