Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

Originally posted by nachodaddy
    What I don't understand is when I cruise down the road I see in backs of peoples windows big ol' stickers saying; "Chamorro Power", "Hawaiian Power" and various incantations representing the hispanic and latino communities (all ending in the word "power" tho')

I have not seen a "White Power" sticker though. Do they even make them?
    I don't think its legal...I think you get in trouble for displaying one. Here in Oregon specifially Eugene you can be ticketed for it.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
      I don't think its legal...I think you get in trouble for displaying one. Here in Oregon specifially Eugene you can be ticketed for it.
      So, is it a double standard???? One is OK, the other will get you a ticket???

Or would you get a ticket for having any variation of a _____ Power sticker in your window?
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Or would you get a ticket for having any variation of a _____ Power sticker in your window?

You don't see Hawaiians or Chamorros out there wearing hoods and burning crosses do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu
          You don't see Hawaiians or Chamorros out there wearing hoods and burning crosses do you?
          So, if I follow your train of thought, all white people wear hoods and burn crosses. Correct?

Comment

So, if I follow your train of thought, all white people wear hoods and burn crosses. Correct?
            The "White power" slogan is associated with Klansmen and the Aryan Nation, or did that fact somehow escape you?

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu
              The "White power" slogan is associated with Klansmen and the Aryan Nation, or did that fact somehow escape you?
              So, it is guilt by association now????

Let's switch gears a bit, would it be OK to have an "Irish Power" sticker in your window?

Comment

What I don't understand is when I cruise down the road I see in backs of peoples windows big ol' stickers saying; "Chamorro Power", "Hawaiian Power" and various incantations representing the hispanic and latino communities (all ending in the word "power" tho')

I have not seen a "White Power" sticker though. Do they even make them?
                It's called the confederate flag in the south! No words needed! Not like your going to see a bunch of Black people running around their car with a confederate flag on it.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  It's called the confederate flag in the south! No words needed! Not like your going to see a bunch of Black people running around their car with a confederate flag on it.
                  Great, another variable, and it is Manoa. I can play two games at once tho'.

So Manoa, if I read you correctly, if I have a confederate flag on my car that means I am a cross burning rascist?

Comment

Great, another variable, and it is Manoa. I can play two games at once tho'.

So Manoa, if I read you correctly, if I have a confederate flag on my car that means I am a cross burning rascist?
                    Others see it as a symbol of the institution of slavery, or of the Jim Crow laws established by the many Southern states enforcing racial segregation within their borders for almost a century later. As a result, there have been numerous political fights over the use of the Confederate battle flag in Southern state flags, at sporting events at Southern universities, and on public buildings. According to Civil War historian and southerner Shelby Foote, the flag traditionally represented the south's resistance to northern political dominance generally; it became racially charged during the Civil Rights Movement, when protecting segregation suddenly became the focal point of that resistance.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_flag

No that's not what I'm saying.... however, many may see it that way. (but now I have an idea for your signature when I win this weeks football pickem)
                    Last edited by damontucker; September 21, 2006, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Re: Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_flag

No that's not what I'm saying.... however, many may see it that way.
                      Cool, because I am pretty sure you are not that close minded..............

You gotta win first, and the rules work both ways so you better have two more in the wings.

Comment

Yes, on several counts, regarding the slogan "White Power." Yes, it is guilt by association with the crimes of supremacist groups. Yes, it is a double-standard, in that "Hawaiian Power" or "Irish Power" decals will not have the same effect (well, depending on where you are in the world; "Irish Power" may cause consternation in parts of the UK, such as Northern Ireland.)

Can you imagine if someone had a sticker proclaiming "Haole Power" or "Haole Pride" on a vehicle in the Islands? That car wouldn't be in drivable shape for long. But "Hawaiian Pride" is accepted without question - I believe that's nachodaddy's point.

It's the price any dominant cultural group has to pay for said dominance (whether past, present or diminishing), in a place where there are distinct cultures that are or have been dominated. At least we live in a land where differing cultural heritage can be honored and celebrated publicly. That is not the case in so many other nations - Zimbabwe, Iran, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Tibet, etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          Yes, on several counts, regarding the slogan "White Power." Yes, it is guilt by association with the crimes of supremacist groups. Yes, it is a double-standard, in that "Hawaiian Power" or "Irish Power" decals will not have the same effect (well, depending on where you are in the world; "Irish Power" may cause consternation in parts of the UK, such as Northern Ireland.)

Can you imagine if someone had a sticker proclaiming "Haole Power" or "Haole Pride" on a vehicle in the Islands? That car wouldn't be in drivable shape for long. But "Hawaiian Pride" is accepted without question - I believe that's nachodaddy's point.

It's the price any dominant cultural group has to pay for said dominance (whether past, present or diminishing), in a place where there are distinct cultures that are or have been dominated. At least we live in a land where differing cultural heritage can be honored and celebrated publicly. That is not the case in so many other nations - Zimbabwe, Iran, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Tibet, etc. etc.
                          Dang Leo, how are we supposed to educate the young'ins when old farts like you and me give them the answers?

You get the "A".

Comment

I know it's OK to have black power stickers ( I see them often here) but they say white power has something to do with propoganda and hate crimes and inciting problems.

I would have to dig for the articles.
                            Thats just here.

I know they had a big run up on a man getting ticketed and facing prosecution locally for have one on his car. Big news for the free speech advocates and race issues. It is a double standard (on free speech anyways) but what the heck ya going to do?? Small problem of many big ones here.
                            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                            Sharing withother survivors...
                            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                              I know it's OK to have black power stickers ( I see them often here) but they say white power has something to do with propoganda and hate crimes and inciting problems.

I would have to dig for the articles.
                              Thats just here.

I know they had a big run up on a man getting ticketed and facing prosecution locally for have one on his car. Big news for the free speech advocates and race issues. It is a double standard (on free speech anyways) but what the heck ya going to do?? Small problem of many big ones here.
                              No need to dig, point has been made, it is like that in many places, irrespective of geography.

Comment

Dang Leo, how are we supposed to educate the young'ins when old farts like you and me give them the answers?
                                Sorry... Guess it's a good thing I never went into teaching; I'd probably get too frustrated waiting for students to figure things out for themselves - I'd rather cram my own twisted values down their throats!

Comment

Working...
                                X