Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank doesn't catch employee's embezzling

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...o+embezzlement

A former teller has pleaded guilty to embezzling $218,000 from Molokai Community Federal Credit Union.
    U.S. Attorney Florence T. Nakakuni said Friday that Daniel K. Mahiai faces a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine when he is sentenced Feb. 16.
    Nakakuni says the 32-year-old Mahiai stole the money from his teller's draw between January 2005 and February 2008.
    In order to hide his acts, Mahiai made false entries in various credit union accounts to make it appear account holders had made withdrawals. Mahiai then placed some of the accounts in "no mail" status, preventing the credit union from sending the members statements reflecting the withdrawals.
    Shame on MCFCU for taking three years to uncover the theft of their customers' money. Any manager who is in charge of sending monthly statements to customers (by the way, this includes statement of payments due, such as with medical offices, etc) should know to run a monthly report on "no mail status" accounts, or "supressed statements" accounts. And of course, the person running the report should not be someone who might be hiding their own embezzling. How did it take the bank so long to discover the in-house theft??
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Bank doesn't catch employee's embezzling

5 minutes later I read this online:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...cks+go+missing

A former NASA senior special agent says the state cannot account for five priceless moon rocks that were given as gifts to the people of Hawaii in celebration of mankind's age-old quest to travel to and safely return from the moon
    Hummmm, maybe they are being securely held in a safety deposit box at a particular bank on a neighbor island....

Comment

Remember this was Molokai, the trust and honor system is how they do business there.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I think the guy was pretty slick.... and stupid too!
        Never wanna have to look over my shoulder, you know.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          I think the guy was pretty slick.... and stupid too!
          Never wanna have to look over my shoulder, you know.
          He probably targetted the elderly that don't do much transactions nor read their statements. He probably got caught when one of them started looking.

Comment

Lingle's lost rocks

I think this story is too important to get lost as an aside in this thread.
            Moon rocks are so rare (on earth) and precious that not keeping them under top wraps and now suffering their loss is pathetic.

There should be a thurough internal investigation as to where they are.
            These items don't just disappear, and prompts thots of theft. They probably weren't stored properly giving someones easy access to them and eventually poof!
            Whatever the facts, it's doubtful there will be an answer that is acceptable, no matter how true.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Lingle's lost rocks

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              I think this story is too important to get lost as an aside in this thread..
              Can a thread be split into an new topic once it has been posted?

Comment

Re: Lingle's lost rocks

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                Can a thread be split into an new topic once it has been posted?
                With all the comotion about moon rocks, there should be a bumper sticker: Got MoonRocks

Comment

Shame on MCFCU for taking three years to uncover the theft of their customers' money.
                  Shame on MCFCU indeed. But greater shame on an institution that is made aware of theft on their employees part..... and tries to cover it up!!!

Yeah, I'm talkin' 'bout you, AMERICAN SAVINGS!!!!

http://www.kycbs.net/American-Savings.htm
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Shame on MCFCU indeed. But greater shame on an institution that is made aware of theft on their employees part..... and tries to cover it up!!!Yeah, I'm talkin' 'bout you, AMERICAN SAVINGS!!!!
                    Yikes, that is quite a story!

Comment

5 minutes later I read this online:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...cks+go+missing
                      A former NASA senior special agent says the state cannot account for five priceless moon rocks that were given as gifts to the people of Hawaii in celebration of mankind's age-old quest to travel to and safely return from the moon
                      That reminds me of an episode of Monk.

Comment

Working...
                      X