Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD players for under $100?

I posted more on this at my place, but here's the relevant question:
    Who's had good experiences with DVD players and what brand/model did you buy? Under $100, please; if they're going to break every two years I don't see the point in spending as much on a player as on the television itself.
    I thought "planned obsolescence" was itself obsolete, but I guess not for commodity electronics, huh?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: DVD player?

It depends if you're looking for any specific features. How do you plan to connect the DVD player to your tv? I used a tried and true component video and audio, nothing fancy. For that, I paid ~$30 for a Magnavox DP100MW8B at Walmart and haven't had a problem. It's a basic, no frills, DVD player.

Comment

The current (broken) one is an Aspire AD-N820B. Basic, play CDs/DVDs, nothing else. No upconversion (I own about six DVD movies) required. Red, white, yellow plugs; no S-video cable.

As I grumbled in my blog, the tray just refuses to open, even enough to get tweezers around it to pull. Repairing these things is more costly than buying a new one, seems like, so I'm just looking for one that I can plop a rented disc into every other month when we think of it.

Comment

I've always had good luck with Sony - and the prices are around $69 for one right now. Not Blu-Ray, just basic plays DVD's & CD's.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

This old thread also references the Magnavox DVD player. I don't know if the DP100MW8B is still available or not but it is getting close to 2 years of service for that unit and I would buy it again for the same price (or lower).

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            It depends if you're looking for any specific features. How do you plan to connect the DVD player to your tv? I used a tried and true component video and audio, nothing fancy. For that, I paid ~$30 for a Magnavox DP100MW8B at Walmart and haven't had a problem. It's a basic, no frills, DVD player.
            Well, that's two testimonials for the Magnavox (yours and Helen's). The price is certainly right, and the name (we all know it's probably manufactured in China, but. . .) is recognizable.

It's very annoying to have these things break after so little use. I don't think we've watched more than a dozen movies or listened to more than that many CDs in the two-plus years we've owned it.

Comment

Unless you're willing to pay big bux for state of the art, just buy the dirt cheap stuff. It'll break eventually and you've not lost much on it, or the new one. Always worked for me. I rarely pay gold for componant/portable stuffs.
              I guess tho I will be paying $360 + shipping for a portable Sony MiniDisc recorder that finally allows uploading, and will soon be unserviceable by Sony which has ditched the MD market.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                As I grumbled in my blog, the tray just refuses to open, even enough to get tweezers around it to pull.
                If the tray refuses to open you can use a bent paper clip to insert into the small hole that is just under the tray.

If that is your only problem with current player and you don't want to spend money I would just say keep the unit. The time to replace is when you try to play a DVD and it freezes the movie it is playing or it skips to other sections of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  If the tray refuses to open you can use a bent paper clip to insert into the small hole that is just under the tray.

If that is your only problem with current player and you don't want to spend money I would just say keep the unit. The time to replace is when you try to play a DVD and it freezes the movie it is playing or it skips to other sections of the movie.
                  What small hole?

This sounds like the old IBM PC diskette drive solution. Same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    Not Blu-Ray, just basic plays DVD's & CD's.
                    Is the regular dvd's going to be phased out by blu-ray dvd's? The selection of blu-ray dvd's is getting larger at Best Buy.

Comment

What small hole?

This sounds like the old IBM PC diskette drive solution. Same thing?
                      yeah - it's basically the same way we used to open a jammed floppy drive.
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Is the regular dvd's going to be phased out by blu-ray dvd's? The selection of blu-ray dvd's is getting larger at Best Buy.
                        which kind of dvd player you buy depends on your budget. right now, a blu-ray player is still beyond my budget limits.
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

What small hole?
                          CD and DVD players that have a tray that ejects out would normally have a small hole below the tray. Some would be in the center, some would be on the left or on the right. The hole is small enough to place a bent paper clip into it.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            yeah - it's basically the same way we used to open a jammed floppy drive.
                            It would be useful if the blasted manual mentioned that in the troubleshooting section.

I'll go look to see if there's a visible hole. As I recall, you pushed the bent clip to put pressure on the spring mechanism inside, right?

Comment

Yes, just gentlely poke the paper clip through the hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X