Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Facebook locking up

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Facebook locking up

    Okay so I'm on FB and when I attempt to write on my wall, when I hit the "share" button the whole thing locks up! I have to do the CTRL-ALT-DEL three finger salute to get out of FB.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    It's always acting up in some way, shape or form. Ya get what ya pay for!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Haven't had any lockup problems with Facebook. The problem with one of my Macs that has an older browser is that the flash don't work. Minor. Don't need it.
    I'm still here. Are you?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    I got Flash running and it still locks up. Only when I'm writing something new on my wall. When I reply to others it runs fine.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    They did some major changes in the system so I attribute a lot of the freezing recently to that. FYI - one of the most controversial changes is that FB has decided to make the default newsfeed limit the posts shown to the posts of just 250 of your friends list (and FB picks which 250). You can change the default by going to live feed, scroll to the bottom to the "edit options" button (on the thin blue bar), click on edit options and you can set your friends shown to whatever number (I believe up to 5000). However, for some people, this edit options button takes multiple tries before it works. Some people think it's just the wonkiness of FB, some people think that FB is rolling out the changes gradually so for some people the edit option button doesn't work right away. Anyhow, I think it's weird for a social networking site to limit the number of people whose posts we can see as a default (instead of saying that we can opt to limit if we want). If they're on my friends list, I probably want to see what they post!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Good thing I have way less than 100 friends.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    I don't even have an "edit options" in my live feed window even if I scroll all the way down to the bottom to the thin blue line. One thing I did notice is that I get this messege in my Windows IE bar just above the Start button that says "Error on Page"
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    I just discovered something. I had moved the Status Updates to the top of my list on the left side. When I did that I couldn't write on my wall, it would lock up. I moved it back to the bottom and refreshed the screen and now everything works again.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Do you still have the old look that you liked? I haven't had any problems with it in FireFox.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by Adri View Post
    Anyhow, I think it's weird for a social networking site to limit the number of people whose posts we can see as a default (instead of saying that we can opt to limit if we want). If they're on my friends list, I probably want to see what they post!
    I would think so too, but the Facebook games, which I'm sure you're aware of, have sorta taken over a lot of FB, and to achieve success in a lot of them, you have to have allies within the games. In many of those games, becoming allies with them in the game means being friends with them on FB, outside the game. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but there it is. So a lot of people don't really want the status updates of ALL their friends, because one thousand of those friends aren't really friends, but merely partners in the games. I got sucked into one of these games (and no, I'm not saying which one) and had to create a "real friends" list so that I could filter most of the noise out of my signal.

    I'm planning to quit that game anyway pretty soon. It's moronic.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    The problem with Facebook games is that most of them never end. I like a game that I can just play for 5 minutes and either beat the computer or have it kill me and that's it. Not these long things like Mafia Wars, Farm Animals or whatever.... too time consuming.

    I've even shyed away from apps that ask you about top 10 songs, actors, movies, football stars, etc. And the trivia ones too... they always want to pull your friend info and all that junk.
    I'm still here. Are you?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    The problem with Facebook games is that most of them never end. I like a game that I can just play for 5 minutes and either beat the computer or have it kill me and that's it. Not these long things like Mafia Wars, Farm Animals or whatever.... too time consuming.

    I've even shyed away from apps that ask you about top 10 songs, actors, movies, football stars, etc. And the trivia ones too... they always want to pull your friend info and all that junk.
    Ya, those games are plenny addicting but it's just so annoying how they want to have access to your info (yes, I know that's how they make money and why they exist) so I don't play any of them. I used to play mafia wars on the internet for free years ago before it hit FB and I imagine that the other games or variations of them are all available for free as well.

    Regarding bugs in FB, it does seem that it's a little less stable lately. I've gotten locked up a few times recently on various screens using firefox; havent tested in IE though.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. Christopher Hitchens

  13. #13

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I would think so too, but the Facebook games, which I'm sure you're aware of, have sorta taken over a lot of FB, and to achieve success in a lot of them, you have to have allies within the games. In many of those games, becoming allies with them in the game means being friends with them on FB, outside the game. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but there it is. So a lot of people don't really want the status updates of ALL their friends, because one thousand of those friends aren't really friends, but merely partners in the games. I got sucked into one of these games (and no, I'm not saying which one) and had to create a "real friends" list so that I could filter most of the noise out of my signal.

    I'm planning to quit that game anyway pretty soon. It's moronic.
    But you can filter. and if you're not playing, you can hide the game posts (hover your cursor over the upper right side of the post and "hide" should come out. If you click hide, it should give you an option to hide posts from that person or from that app). But even still, it doesn't make sense that FB would pick the 250 for you. If you're playing the game, the 250 would probably be other game players as opposed to your real life friends whom you really want to hear about but who don't post to you nearly as often because you're not playing a game with them. It's still a dumb thing imo.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5425311.shtml

    Is this just as good as an obit or a memorial?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Haiku & Iolekaa Valley(s)
    Posts
    1,092

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    I grew weary of the games.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, Oahu
    Posts
    2,616

    Wink Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I would think so too, but the Facebook games, which I'm sure you're aware of, have sorta taken over a lot of FB, and to achieve success in a lot of them, you have to have allies within the games. In many of those games, becoming allies with them in the game means being friends with them on FB, outside the game. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but there it is. So a lot of people don't really want the status updates of ALL their friends, because one thousand of those friends aren't really friends, but merely partners in the games. I got sucked into one of these games (and no, I'm not saying which one) and had to create a "real friends" list so that I could filter most of the noise out of my signal.

    I'm planning to quit that game anyway pretty soon. It's moronic.
    I hope it's not SCRABBLE.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    middle of da ocean
    Posts
    5,500

    Post Re: Facebook locking up

    I deleted my account due to having to only use real names.
    I really ain't interested in being 'found' by everyone, you know!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    MM, so many people I know do not use their real names. You could use Jeff Menehune or Fiji Prince or...whatever! A former asst. of mine uses her first name and a derivative of her last name.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    MM, so many people I know do not use their real names. You could use Jeff Menehune or Fiji Prince or...whatever! A former asst. of mine uses her first name and a derivative of her last name.
    If you keep your FB page and postings accurate, honest and non-judgemental, there shouldn't be a problem with or without your real identity. But if one tends to distort the truth, is dishonest and is constantly judging others then I can see a problem with posting your identity.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    middle of da ocean
    Posts
    5,500

    Post Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    If you keep your FB page and postings accurate, honest and non-judgemental, there shouldn't be a problem with or without your real identity. But if one tends to distort the truth, is dishonest and is constantly judging others then I can see a problem with posting your identity.
    When I wanted to use a different name it said only full names, no celebrity, etc.?

    My problem with using my real identity on there was being contacted by previous school acquaintances, ex-wife, being recommended to people I don't know or remember...
    just not interested.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    If you keep your FB page and postings accurate, honest and non-judgemental, there shouldn't be a problem with or without your real identity. But if one tends to distort the truth, is dishonest and is constantly judging others then I can see a problem with posting your identity.
    There are some things you don't want certain people knowing, even if it's not dishonest. My landlord found me on Facebook and truthfully, it creeps me out, but I didn't want to offend her by rejecting her friend request. It's not like I was going to post updates about throwing wild parties or breaking things, but what if I wanted to comment about my roommates being loud or not washing dishes? I don't want her to read it and say something to them. Even if I keep my posts completely harmless, the fact that she reads and comments on them is disjarring. People keep their professional life and their personal life separate, not because they're bad or dishonest, but because those things just shouldn't be mixed. It's like the first time as a child when you run into one of your teachers outside of school. It's a weird feeling.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
    There are some things you don't want certain people knowing, even if it's not dishonest. My landlord found me on Facebook and truthfully, it creeps me out, but I didn't want to offend her by rejecting her friend request. It's not like I was going to post updates about throwing wild parties or breaking things, but what if I wanted to comment about my roommates being loud or not washing dishes? I don't want her to read it and say something to them. Even if I keep my posts completely harmless, the fact that she reads and comments on them is disjarring. People keep their professional life and their personal life separate, not because they're bad or dishonest, but because those things just shouldn't be mixed. It's like the first time as a child when you run into one of your teachers outside of school. It's a weird feeling.
    If you want to keep your professional life separate then don't mix your personal correspondence with your personal email...the one you use on FB. I have two email addresses. One is strictly business and those who correspond to me that way know we don't mess with chit chat. It's all business. They know not to cross those lines of professionalism when they email me that address.

    If you don't want your landlord to be your friend, then don't. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 2nd, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    middle of da ocean
    Posts
    5,500

    Post Re: Facebook locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    If you don't want your landlord to be your friend, then don't. There's nothing wrong with that.
    If you don't want your landlord (or anyone else) ...

    I felt uncomfortable, and speaking with my wife... she does too.
    That's uncomfortable being put on the spot with co-workers for her, others for me.

    Anyways, I've created a new anonymous facebook page so a buddy can share movies that he makes with me. Thanks Tutusue for letting me know I could.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •