Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Facebook locking up

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I would think so too, but the Facebook games, which I'm sure you're aware of, have sorta taken over a lot of FB, and to achieve success in a lot of them, you have to have allies within the games. In many of those games, becoming allies with them in the game means being friends with them on FB, outside the game. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but there it is. So a lot of people don't really want the status updates of ALL their friends, because one thousand of those friends aren't really friends, but merely partners in the games. I got sucked into one of these games (and no, I'm not saying which one) and had to create a "real friends" list so that I could filter most of the noise out of my signal.

I'm planning to quit that game anyway pretty soon. It's moronic.
    I hope it's not SCRABBLE.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I deleted my account due to having to only use real names.
      I really ain't interested in being 'found' by everyone, you know!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

MM, so many people I know do not use their real names. You could use Jeff Menehune or Fiji Prince or...whatever! A former asst. of mine uses her first name and a derivative of her last name.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          MM, so many people I know do not use their real names. You could use Jeff Menehune or Fiji Prince or...whatever! A former asst. of mine uses her first name and a derivative of her last name.
          If you keep your FB page and postings accurate, honest and non-judgemental, there shouldn't be a problem with or without your real identity. But if one tends to distort the truth, is dishonest and is constantly judging others then I can see a problem with posting your identity.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            If you keep your FB page and postings accurate, honest and non-judgemental, there shouldn't be a problem with or without your real identity. But if one tends to distort the truth, is dishonest and is constantly judging others then I can see a problem with posting your identity.
            When I wanted to use a different name it said only full names, no celebrity, etc.?

My problem with using my real identity on there was being contacted by previous school acquaintances, ex-wife, being recommended to people I don't know or remember...
            just not interested.

Comment

There are some things you don't want certain people knowing, even if it's not dishonest. My landlord found me on Facebook and truthfully, it creeps me out, but I didn't want to offend her by rejecting her friend request. It's not like I was going to post updates about throwing wild parties or breaking things, but what if I wanted to comment about my roommates being loud or not washing dishes? I don't want her to read it and say something to them. Even if I keep my posts completely harmless, the fact that she reads and comments on them is disjarring. People keep their professional life and their personal life separate, not because they're bad or dishonest, but because those things just shouldn't be mixed. It's like the first time as a child when you run into one of your teachers outside of school. It's a weird feeling.
              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                There are some things you don't want certain people knowing, even if it's not dishonest. My landlord found me on Facebook and truthfully, it creeps me out, but I didn't want to offend her by rejecting her friend request. It's not like I was going to post updates about throwing wild parties or breaking things, but what if I wanted to comment about my roommates being loud or not washing dishes? I don't want her to read it and say something to them. Even if I keep my posts completely harmless, the fact that she reads and comments on them is disjarring. People keep their professional life and their personal life separate, not because they're bad or dishonest, but because those things just shouldn't be mixed. It's like the first time as a child when you run into one of your teachers outside of school. It's a weird feeling.
                If you want to keep your professional life separate then don't mix your personal correspondence with your personal email...the one you use on FB. I have two email addresses. One is strictly business and those who correspond to me that way know we don't mess with chit chat. It's all business. They know not to cross those lines of professionalism when they email me that address.

If you don't want your landlord to be your friend, then don't. There's nothing wrong with that.
                Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 2, 2009, 05:10 PM.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If you don't want your landlord to be your friend, then don't. There's nothing wrong with that.
                  If you don't want your landlord (or anyone else) ...

I felt uncomfortable, and speaking with my wife... she does too.
                  That's uncomfortable being put on the spot with co-workers for her, others for me.

Anyways, I've created a new anonymous facebook page so a buddy can share movies that he makes with me. Thanks Tutusue for letting me know I could.

Comment

Working...
                  X