Facebook locking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook locking up

Okay so I'm on FB and when I attempt to write on my wall, when I hit the "share" button the whole thing locks up! I have to do the CTRL-ALT-DEL three finger salute to get out of FB.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Facebook locking up

It's always acting up in some way, shape or form. Ya get what ya pay for!

Comment

Haven't had any lockup problems with Facebook. The problem with one of my Macs that has an older browser is that the flash don't work. Minor. Don't need it.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I got Flash running and it still locks up. Only when I'm writing something new on my wall. When I reply to others it runs fine.

Comment

They did some major changes in the system so I attribute a lot of the freezing recently to that. FYI - one of the most controversial changes is that FB has decided to make the default newsfeed limit the posts shown to the posts of just 250 of your friends list (and FB picks which 250). You can change the default by going to live feed, scroll to the bottom to the "edit options" button (on the thin blue bar), click on edit options and you can set your friends shown to whatever number (I believe up to 5000). However, for some people, this edit options button takes multiple tries before it works. Some people think it's just the wonkiness of FB, some people think that FB is rolling out the changes gradually so for some people the edit option button doesn't work right away. Anyhow, I think it's weird for a social networking site to limit the number of people whose posts we can see as a default (instead of saying that we can opt to limit if we want). If they're on my friends list, I probably want to see what they post!

Comment

Good thing I have way less than 100 friends.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I don't even have an "edit options" in my live feed window even if I scroll all the way down to the bottom to the thin blue line. One thing I did notice is that I get this messege in my Windows IE bar just above the Start button that says "Error on Page"

Comment

I just discovered something. I had moved the Status Updates to the top of my list on the left side. When I did that I couldn't write on my wall, it would lock up. I moved it back to the bottom and refreshed the screen and now everything works again.

Comment

Do you still have the old look that you liked? I haven't had any problems with it in FireFox.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                    Anyhow, I think it's weird for a social networking site to limit the number of people whose posts we can see as a default (instead of saying that we can opt to limit if we want). If they're on my friends list, I probably want to see what they post!
                    I would think so too, but the Facebook games, which I'm sure you're aware of, have sorta taken over a lot of FB, and to achieve success in a lot of them, you have to have allies within the games. In many of those games, becoming allies with them in the game means being friends with them on FB, outside the game. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but there it is. So a lot of people don't really want the status updates of ALL their friends, because one thousand of those friends aren't really friends, but merely partners in the games. I got sucked into one of these games (and no, I'm not saying which one) and had to create a "real friends" list so that I could filter most of the noise out of my signal.

I'm planning to quit that game anyway pretty soon. It's moronic.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The problem with Facebook games is that most of them never end. I like a game that I can just play for 5 minutes and either beat the computer or have it kill me and that's it. Not these long things like Mafia Wars, Farm Animals or whatever.... too time consuming.

I've even shyed away from apps that ask you about top 10 songs, actors, movies, football stars, etc. And the trivia ones too... they always want to pull your friend info and all that junk.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        The problem with Facebook games is that most of them never end. I like a game that I can just play for 5 minutes and either beat the computer or have it kill me and that's it. Not these long things like Mafia Wars, Farm Animals or whatever.... too time consuming.

I've even shyed away from apps that ask you about top 10 songs, actors, movies, football stars, etc. And the trivia ones too... they always want to pull your friend info and all that junk.
                        Ya, those games are plenny addicting but it's just so annoying how they want to have access to your info (yes, I know that's how they make money and why they exist) so I don't play any of them. I used to play mafia wars on the internet for free years ago before it hit FB and I imagine that the other games or variations of them are all available for free as well.

Regarding bugs in FB, it does seem that it's a little less stable lately. I've gotten locked up a few times recently on various screens using firefox; havent tested in IE though.
                        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          I would think so too, but the Facebook games, which I'm sure you're aware of, have sorta taken over a lot of FB, and to achieve success in a lot of them, you have to have allies within the games. In many of those games, becoming allies with them in the game means being friends with them on FB, outside the game. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but there it is. So a lot of people don't really want the status updates of ALL their friends, because one thousand of those friends aren't really friends, but merely partners in the games. I got sucked into one of these games (and no, I'm not saying which one) and had to create a "real friends" list so that I could filter most of the noise out of my signal.

I'm planning to quit that game anyway pretty soon. It's moronic.
                          But you can filter. and if you're not playing, you can hide the game posts (hover your cursor over the upper right side of the post and "hide" should come out. If you click hide, it should give you an option to hide posts from that person or from that app). But even still, it doesn't make sense that FB would pick the 250 for you. If you're playing the game, the 250 would probably be other game players as opposed to your real life friends whom you really want to hear about but who don't post to you nearly as often because you're not playing a game with them. It's still a dumb thing imo.

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5425311.shtml

Is this just as good as an obit or a memorial?

Comment

I grew weary of the games.

Comment

Working...
                              X