KITV 4 News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KITV 4 News

I like the one hour of news at 10. My viewing habit at this time slot has changed. I've abandoned Hawaii News Now at 10 in favor of KITV.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Dear KITV News at 5pm,

Fire your makeup artist and possibly your hairdresser too. Wanna know why? Watch your 5pm broadcast! These ladies could look a lot better, IMHO.
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Hmmm...do local stations have stylists on staff?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Hmmm...do local stations have stylists on staff?
          Absolutely NOT. It's a shame, since ultimately the investment would pay off in making the station look better. You have to take it upon yourself to learn how and buy what you need. Once, our news director Chuck Parker sent us all to get some lessons, which was really smart of him. That's the only time I can remember getting any KHNL-sponsored makeup education.

Other stations in the mainland are more progressive. We used to get hair and makeup at WBRE in Pennsylvania. Also, much larger markets like LA have stylists. Hawaii is too small for that.

I must say, it's not always the anchor's fault. Lighting and signal quality play a role. Everyone has good and bad days, so I know there were days when I looked good, but I still looked so-so on air. I had a lot of people surprised that I actually look better in person.

The lighting at KHNL was keyed for the main anchor's skin tone, which apparently didn't suit the other 90% of us.
          Halekulani.com
          Waikikiparc.com
          SmallTalk.HonAdvBlogs.com

Comment

Looks like another major computer crash may have taken down KITV 4 10 o clock one hour news tonight. Gary and Pam subbing for Paula Akana.

The situation does not seem to allow the station to roll video of news items.

Oh, looks like video is back for sports. They have football clips.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Ako View Post
              It's a shame, since ultimately the investment would pay off in making the station look better.
              Back a few years ago, when my wife was doing the Neighbor Islands sales for KHNL and KFVE, she wanted to set up a trade with a stylist for the news team, but the whole thing was nixed by the news director at the time, who didn't want any commercialization of the newscasts.

Another interesting point was that my wife sold time to most of her Neighbor Island clients in the morning KHNL news program. The local sales manager thought she was wasting her time because that was pretty much considered junk programming ... even though it was cost-effective and generated business for her clients.

Look at the emphasis on morning programming now. Guess she was ahead of her time.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                Back a few years ago, when my wife was doing the Neighbor Islands sales for KHNL and KFVE, she wanted to set up a trade with a stylist for the news team, but the whole thing was nixed by the news director at the time, who didn't want any commercialization of the newscasts.

Another interesting point was that my wife sold time to most of her Neighbor Island clients in the morning KHNL news program. The local sales manager thought she was wasting her time because that was pretty much considered junk programming ... even though it was cost-effective and generated business for her clients.

Look at the emphasis on morning programming now. Guess she was ahead of her time.
                There are a lot of people who see it your wife's and my way. However, as you say, those people aren't in charge. One can spin anything any way, so despite the rationale for "no commercialization" there were still many other ways trades and commercial interests worked their way into the news arena... just in a more subtle way.

It really all depends on the controlling party, which could have been the corporate owner, the GM or the news director. (I don't know who it was in KHNL's case.) If you recall, a long time ago, KITV had clothing sponsored by someone, I believe. I'd see the slate at the end of the news.

There are varying philosophies on the topic, but I think it would have been a smart investment in making the talent, the signal, and the set look good. Viewers view. You have to catch them on that level first.

It's unrealistic to think that viewers are going to stay with a station just because of its investigative reporting (does that exist?), particularly since the national trend is to build a house of cards around the personalities, and not much else past that.

As for selling spots during the morning show, that too depends on what the dominant sales philosophy is at the time. Salespeople that I knew have also told me they tried to sell spots on the morning show because that's the best quantity for one's dollar. And, I've also heard the "junk" rationale.

I may be speaking a bit out of turn since I never was a salesperson nor manager, but I think the sales department manager sets the tone, perhaps in conjunction with the GM and news director's assistance. There were a few cycles in which management told us there would be increased emphasis on the morning show as the best way for KHNL to compete in ratings. (The final cycle being last 6 months.)

A salesperson told me that was a good time for her to be selling the morning show because she could tell her clients more resources are being put into the show, ratings should rise, etc.
                Halekulani.com
                Waikikiparc.com

Comment

Hi Folks,

Here's the deal on morning shows...on the mainland buyers are willing to pay the same cost per points for morning news as they do for evening newscasts. This has been the case for many years. We are working to get Hawaii advertisers to the same level...not easy to lead if you are not the top rated show...but if the cpp's rise, then having a 2 hour plus morning show becomes a very valuable revenue resource. That's why we are seeing more and more news resources directed to our morning shows in Hawaii.
                  On the make-up/clothing issue, we do have a consultant that comes in and advises our folks. Based on the comments on this thread, perhaps it's time to bring her in again.

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
                    Hi Folks,
                    On the make-up/clothing issue, we do have a consultant that comes in and advises our folks. Based on the comments on this thread, perhaps it's time to bring her in again.
                    Oh! I hope you don't think I was slamming KITV talent. I was just generically commenting on how things work.

And yes, a few times we had a consultant too, from Magid or other news consulting firms: This woman should wear less black. This man should wear more collar shirts. This woman should wear smaller earrings. My agent also told me the same things: wear solid brights, no turtlenecks.

Our last new director was open to considering a clothing sponsor, but I'm sure with all the things he was juggling, that became a footnote.

Another time, a local store actually offered to provide clothing to me, but then it became an issue of dressing all the female anchors the same (not all the women agreed), and is it weird to have just one show with the store's billboard, etc? It's so complicated!
                    Halekulani.com
                    Waikikiparc.com

Comment

Staff changes coming - word is circulating that twenty-year plus assignment editor Wanda Wehr is leaving the desk - tomorrow's her last day. The role of the assignment editor is often underestimated in newsrooms - Wanda's been a survivor and more. No official word on who takes her seat, but one hopes that it will be someone who can reinforce the staff's commitment to doing real news when compared to some of the other stuff that gets on the air in the name of "news" at other stations.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        Staff changes coming - word is circulating that twenty-year plus assignment editor Wanda Wehr is leaving the desk - tomorrow's her last day. The role of the assignment editor is often underestimated in newsrooms - Wanda's been a survivor and more. No official word on who takes her seat, but one hopes that it will be someone who can reinforce the staff's commitment to doing real news when compared to some of the other stuff that gets on the air in the name of "news" at other stations.

Wanda was definitely one of the big engines that powered KITV when I was there.

Comment

KITV announcing today that they have hired Chuck Parker to be managing editor (replacing Wanda Wehr) eff. Jan 25. Chuck was dep city editor at the star Bull, and has previous TV experience as a producer at KHON and KGMB. Good move - solid news guy. Big loss for the Star Bull.

Comment

The second part of Erika's column this morning lays out Chuck Parker's experience in the news biz which will be invaluable to KITV:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business..._diamonds.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              KITV announcing today that they have hired Chuck Parker to be managing editor (replacing Wanda Wehr) eff. Jan 25. Chuck was dep city editor at the star Bull, and has previous TV experience as a producer at KHON and KGMB. Good move - solid news guy. Big loss for the Star Bull.
                              It was always impressive and a great learning experience to see Chuck and Craig Gima work together for the 6pm shows at KHON.

Always cool-headed, always ready to make a quick and important decision regarding a developing story.

Chuck and Craig made it look so easy.

The general public doesn't really know what it takes to put a newscast on, let alone a dominating one which is what KHON was back in the day, but it was precisely having talented, hard working and smart/sharp people like Chuck and Craig that made KHON what it was.

That and a whole lot of other people the public usually never saw.

Comment

New co-anchor for Palua Akana starts in April:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...back_home.html

Comment

Working...
                                X