Anyone tried a local "surf camp"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried a local "surf camp"?

This website for Myles Padaca's & Pancho Sullivan's "camp" caught my eye the other day: http://www.progressivesurfing.com/about.html

Anyone been around these guys, or attended on of their camps? Any recommendations on other "surf seminars" like these? I wouldn't go the full-blown in-residence week (well, OK, maybe I would) but I'd try out a day or two.

I've been doing fine on my own for the last seven years, but at this point I'd be happy to pay for expert advice and maybe even a pointer to a decent out-of-the-way spot in Waialua or Mokuleia. I doubt that major air or helicopters are in my future but I'd like to smooth out the rough spots, have a better idea what I'm doing around tubes and hanging ten, and try out a wider variety of boards.

Better still, our 17-year-old would enjoy a few hours of this before she leaves the islands for college in just 283 days. It'd make a great early graduation gift.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Re: Anyone tried a local "surf camp"?

I don't know if this is a "camp", but I tried Hans Hedemann 10 years ago and was very satisfied. I learned the basics very quickly and I was able to ride a couple of waves by myself with just one class.

http://www.hhsurf.com/hh/

Comment

Thanks, I'd forgotten about Hedemann.

Without a personal recommendation, it's hard to decide whether the package has value. But I think I've gone about as far as I can go from books, videos, and of course hours of "practice"...
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Comment

We finished the five-day program yesterday and I'm still over-stoked. I'll have a stupid grin on my face for another week.

I should've done this years ago. I learned to surf with a quick beginner's lesson followed by seven years of reading books & magazines, watching videos, and imitating the rest of the lineup. Lots of trial & error before it began to dawn on me that I could use more help. But it was worth the wait, too-- our kid is finally old enough, big enough, & strong enough to benefit from the coaching. I learned and had fun almost as much as I enjoyed watching her learn and have fun. She's a much better (and safer) surfer now, she's way more ready to go out on her own, and she has the confidence to tackle the 15-footers.

I've spent years training people and it's a pleasure to watch others do it well. Pancho & Myles are that rare combination of professionals who can both do and teach. They watch, suggest, and explain. One (or both) of them surfed with us while the other (or a third) was on the beach shooting video for later review. By the end of the first three-hour day I'd made minor changes to my takeoff, pop-up, stance, and board position. On the second day the tweaks really paid off and it just kept getting better. I can't believe how much more control I've gained. I finally understand how to paddle into those 20-footers (and when to paddle outside of them) and how to get down the face without pearling. Better still I'm carving faster, with much more power, and much less effort.

Every day was a new experience. They'd find an uncrowded break with good conditions and few crowds, phone it in, and meet us on the beach. After 10-20 minutes of discussion we'd paddle out and go to work. Nobody was wearing a watch and 2-3 hours would fly by before I knew it. We'd wear ourselves out, paddle in, stagger ashore, and spend another 20-30 minutes talking story before planning the next day.

We learned almost as much on the beach as on the waves. Now we're familiar with a half-dozen North Shore spots with that don't attract the crowds. We're reading the rips, currents, and winds much better. We're already strong paddlers, but now we're much more efficient. We actually paddle less to get to where we need to be and to take off. I've learned a lot more about board design/selection and we're ready to shop for a newer board. Better still, our kid understands what she wants and should be able to navigate the shopping without too much upselling.

You may be keenly aware that teenagers become skeptical of parental advice and tend to seek out their own mentors, for good or for worse. As our teen gets ready to leave the nest, she's been totally unreceptive to most parental surfing suggestions and I've learned to keep my mouth shut. But for five days I was able to relax and focus on my own skills while she happily did everything Myles & Pancho told her to try. By the third day I was quietly feeding those guys my own comments on problems she's had for months, and she was cheerfully letting them fix those bad habits too. She'd probably even have accepted their advice on homework & chores.

When their coaching all comes together it's one of those memories you'll carry for the rest of your life. On the fourth day I took off late (but square & balanced) on a 15+ with a floater that seemed to last as long as a two-story elevator ride. After the bottom turn I rode it over a hundred yards, a half-dozen bottom turns & cutbacks, at least 20-30 seconds. Everything went perfectly and I'll be trying to recreate that ride for months.

One morning by Kammie's we were waiting between sets when a huge old turtle surfaced right between us, close enough to reach out and pat its back. Its shell had to be at least three feet long and it was pointing its head outside in the same direction as us, looking for a good wave. It stayed with us for a couple of noisy breaths, a good 10-15 seconds, before moving on. Wish I'd had my camera out there.

I was a bit sore on the second day, but by the third day my muscles had snapped back and I was fine. It was nowhere near as physically demanding as I'd feared.

Anyway these guys are highly recommended. I'd happily spend the money all over again, and I'll probably be back in a few years for advanced work. If you're an older surfer looking to tune up your skills, this camp is one of the best mid-life crises gifts you could ever hope to have. If you have a kid with strong paddling skills who's ready to push their envelope, these guys will keep them challenged while showing them how to stay safe.

Comment

15+??? Whoa, good for you, Nords. Whatta great experience for you, your daughter and...you and your daughter together. Between the new Mac gear and surf camp she may decide not to go away for college. Home looks pretty darn good! And you might even stop counting the days 'til she leaves!

In my next lifetime I wanna come back as your daughter!

Comment

Nords, thanks for the great story! I very much enjoyed the read, and I will definitely keep them in mind whenever DS or other ohana are looking for real lessons.

Here's wishing you lotsa great surfing!

Comment

OK, I admit it. Surf camp was more for me than for my kid. But there would've been mutiny & rioting around here if I tried to do it without her, and I really enjoy watching her learn.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Between the new Mac gear and surf camp she may decide not to go away for college. Home looks pretty darn good! And you might even stop counting the days 'til she leaves!
              In my next lifetime I wanna come back as your daughter!
              Oh no you don't.

You read mostly the good stuff but you don't see the payback. The harsh reality is that we unreasonable parents keep insisting that she learn all these "life skills" like chores and school grades and home/car maintenance and financial management. She can't wait to get the hell outta here and start living her own life without being nagged & interrogated to death. And she's keenly aware that parental fiscal life support ends in just 216 more days. It's a lot cheaper to equip her with the tools to do the job (iPhone & Macbook) than it is to keep changing addresses & door locks.

She'll run around on the Mainland for a few years, maybe join the Navy & see the world, and then eventually satisfy herself that Hawaii no ka oi. By then she'll hopefully have the civil engineering & sewage skills to find her own place in the world...

Comment

Working...
              X