Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Unhappy Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Officials: 11 killed, plus gunman, in Fort Hood shootings

    November 5, 2009 6:35 p.m. EST

    (CNN) -- Eleven people plus a gunman were dead and 31 wounded after the gunman opened fire Thursday on a soldier-processing center at Fort Hood, Texas, officials said.

    The gunman was a soldier, and two other soldiers have been detained as suspects, Army Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said.

    The slain gunman was identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, a law enforcement source told CNN. Licensed in Virginia, Hasan was a psychiatrist who previously worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center but more recently was practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, according to professional records.

    We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

    — U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,933

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    What are we come to, as a society?

    Why is there nowhere to turn but murder? And why murder innocents?

    Seems there are many people with desperate feelings out there (I have heard that for every person acting out there are 100 holding back the same feelings, keeping murder in check).

    Alledgedly we know more now than we did 100 years ago, why can we not prevent this?

    It's not weapons, or weapons availability; I can get a fully automatic assault machine pistol downtown for $400 within two hours. Totally illegal. Citizens acting within our super-restrictive laws cannot get enough to protect their homes as fast as they need them.

    It's all upside-down.

    Pray.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Heard an update on the news that the gunman didn't die. He is currently in stable condition.

    One would think that a psychiatrist would have enough mental health "tools" at his disposal to thwart such behavior or at least know that something is wrong and seek help. Maybe that just shows how naive I am.

    What an incredibly sad situation.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    I honestly am surprised that things like this don't happen more often.

    Aj

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    One would think that a psychiatrist would have enough mental health "tools" at his disposal to thwart such behavior or at least know that something is wrong and seek help. Maybe that just shows how naive I am.
    How often that the last one to know that someone needs help is that person himself, no matter how educated or intelligent he may be.

    CNN reports that Major Hasan practiced Islam and was wearing Muslim garb earlier that morning. There were also reports that Hasan had previously tried (and failed) to get out of the army, as he didn't want to be deployed to the Middle East. Perhaps he was caught up in feelings of conflict between his loyalties to the US military and his religious beliefs.

    One more thing to note. Hasan was a graduate of Virginia Tech. That, of course, is the same university where a student went on a mass-shooting rampage on the VT campus two years ago.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    I honestly am surprised that things like this don't happen more often.

    Aj
    It's beginning to happen more often. With this weak economy and our presence in Afghanistan (this person who was a Major was to be shipped out there), people are reaching their breaking points.

    People are reaching the end of their unemployment benefits and are stressing out at what will happen next. The headlines are telling us many things but nothing seems to help those who are facing foreclosures, and no prospect of jobs in the near future. Add to that the celebrity deaths and international natural disasters occuring, it's no wonder many have reached the end of their lines of sanity.

    And this guy who killed those people at Fort Hood, was a US Major but more importantly, he was a Muslim. That isn't going to fare well with the ignorant who believe all Muslims are evil. I fear for those Muslims living here in the US.

    When US Marines raped that girl in Okinawa a few years ago, it started a campaign by Okinawans to rid their land of the Marines. Can that happen here in the US? Will that start another hate campaign against Muslims here residing peacefully among other US Citizens? With all the calamity going on here and abroad, I don't think it will take much to change the balance of mutual respect for one another and chaos to begin.

    Incidents such as this is one that becomes the indicator of more to follow. It will happen more often, we're seeing it happen right now.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    What are we come to, as a society?

    Why is there nowhere to turn but murder? And why murder innocents?

    Seems there are many people with desperate feelings out there (I have heard that for every person acting out there are 100 holding back the same feelings, keeping murder in check).

    Alledgedly we know more now than we did 100 years ago, why can we not prevent this?

    It's not weapons, or weapons availability; I can get a fully automatic assault machine pistol downtown for $400 within two hours. Totally illegal. Citizens acting within our super-restrictive laws cannot get enough to protect their homes as fast as they need them.

    It's all upside-down. Pray.
    As sick as this Hasan dude is, if he didn't have a gun, he'd find something else. Like a bomb for example, radical muslim's seem to have a fondness for those too. So ammonium nitrate fertilizer should be banned too? That would be a heavy blow to our farmers.

    Or just look at the big kitchen knife in your drawer at home. For most people it is just a tool to help prepare dinner with. Then again some psycho could use that same knife to kill all his family members with while they slept. Should we ban this too?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Question Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    As sick as this Hasan dude is, if he didn't have a gun, he'd find something else. Like a bomb for example, radical muslim's seem to have a fondness for those too.
    Are you implying that Maj. Hasan is a radical muslim? And what exactly does that entail?

    We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

    — U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

  9. #9

    Default Another day, another mass murder in America

    Yes, this one is the worst, until the next one. These crazy happenings are nearly a daily thing now. We cringe and then it's off to do our dailies. It's become so commonplace that we expect it every time the news is on.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Yup...just on the news now, in Orlando Fla some shooter is holed up in a high rise and there are multiple victims.

    <edit>

    Here's a report on it:

    http://www.wesh.com/cnn-news/21541263/detail.html

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    May God take into his arms the killed and wounded. Blessings from England.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    And this guy who killed those people at Fort Hood, was a US Major but more importantly, he was a Muslim. That isn't going to fare well with the ignorant who believe all Muslims are evil. I fear for those Muslims living here in the US.
    he was also american-born. but people who believe all muslims are evil radicals will lump him in with the taliban/al qaeda, anti-western civilization type.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    As sick as this Hasan dude is, if he didn't have a gun, he'd find something else. Like a bomb for example, radical muslim's seem to have a fondness for those too.
    see? and it was only one post after yours, mr. watanabe.

    i wonder what people would say if the shooter were born-again christian and screamed, "praise the lord jesus christ" as he killed innocents. bet that would get a totally different treatment.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

    "when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

    nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

  13. #13

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
    Yup...just on the news now, in Orlando Fla some shooter is holed up in a high rise and there are multiple victims.
    Wasn't the anniversary of the Xerox killings shown on the news recently? This is going to sound like an Art Bell show. Is there some kind of a lunar effect for this time of year?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    he was also american-born. but people who believe all muslims are evil radicals will lump him in with the taliban/al qaeda, anti-western civilization type.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    As sick as this Hasan dude is, if he didn't have a gun, he'd find something else. Like a bomb for example, radical muslim's seem to have a fondness for those too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    see? and it was only one post after yours, mr. watanabe.
    In defense of AlohaKine, he did not lump all Muslims as being violent and militant. Notice that he used the adjective radical to describe those particular Muslims who resort to the use of deadly weapons against innocent victims. I think most people will agree that "radical" is a fitting term for such ones, as their extremist views veer far from mainstream Islam, which practices tolerance and peaceful coexistence with all people.

    Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    i wonder what people would say if the shooter were born-again christian and screamed, "praise the lord jesus christ" as he killed innocents. bet that would get a totally different treatment.
    Would it?

    If you read up on news stories that talk about the bombings of abortion clinics that occur at the hands of extremist pro-life Christians, it is not uncommon for the media, law enforcement, and politicians to refer to these folks as "terrorists."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    In defense of AlohaKine, he did not lump all Muslims as being violent and militant. Notice that he used the adjective radical to describe those particular Muslims who resort to the use of deadly weapons against innocent victims. I think most people will agree that "radical" is a fitting term for such ones, as their extremist views veer far from mainstream Islam, which practices tolerance and peaceful coexistence with all people.
    oh dear. gramps is at it again--his favorite game of parsing sentences while turning a cataractous eye and otitic ear to the larger text. tsk, tsk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    If you read up on news stories that talk about the bombings of abortion clinics that occur at the hands of extremist pro-life Christians, it is not uncommon for the media, law enforcement, and politicians to refer to these folks as "terrorists."
    i'd submit it's far from common enough, as evidenced by the treatment of scott roeder by faux news darlings like o'reilly and coulter.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

    "when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

    nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    he was also american-born. but people who believe all muslims are evil radicals will lump him in with the taliban/al qaeda, anti-western civilization type.



    see? and it was only one post after yours, mr. watanabe.

    i wonder what people would say if the shooter were born-again christian and screamed, "praise the lord jesus christ" as he killed innocents. bet that would get a totally different treatment.
    That was my point. That those who believe all Muslims are evil will use this episode as a means to expound on their point.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    O'ahu
    Posts
    1,309

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    It's interesting to read the gun forums, to see their reactions over the fact the gunman used a .22 semi-auto.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    oh dear. gramps is at it again--his favorite game of parsing sentences while turning a cataractous eye and otitic ear to the larger text. tsk, tsk.
    Well, that's a new one on me. A red-herring with medical terminology.

    A lot of attention has naturally been focused on the gunman. But first and foremost in our thoughts should be on the victims and their families. While no official list of victims have been released yet, the names of some of the dead and injured have begun to trickle out through the press.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_348250.html

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Maybe that just shows how naive I am.
    Tutu, you aren't naive, you just want to believe the best in people. Nuttin' wrong with that.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    It's interesting to read the gun forums, to see their reactions over the fact the gunman used a .22 semi-auto.
    What surprised me was that he was able to squeeze off a hundred rounds with two pistols and kill that many people. That means he had to stop and reload several times before being taken down. He had a lot of time to do a lot of damage, FIVE minutes of shooting with no return fire or attempt to disarm him.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  21. #21

    Default And I'll say it again...

    Let everyone that wants to carry a sidearm and this BS will become something of our stupid past. Sad commentary of our times, but I'd rather turn on the news and hear of yet another potential mass murderer heading off to the morgue without having had any success. At a minimum, the kill total will be significantly lessened, and at best, the majority of kooks whom are a gutless bunch will be too chicken to even try it. Same with your average crook, if they know they might very well end up with a toe tag...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: And I'll say it again...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Let everyone that wants to carry a sidearm and this BS will become something of our stupid past. ...
    I can appreciate your frustration, but how do you arrive at that conclusion? That approach hasn't worked in other locations where it has been tried.

    The man is obviously deranged. Logic doesn't work with people who are mentally ill.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  23. #23

    Default Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

    Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    as he has done many times before, gramps dodderingly ambles onto his soapbox to make saintly pronouncements now that his faulty reasoning has been pointed out!

    guess an old dog does just keep doing the same tricks.
    Oh well. Keeping this thread on topic, even at the risk of being mocked yet again:

    There were many soldiers and civilians who came to the aid of those fallen soldiers. But Fort Hood Police Sgt. Kimberly Munley stands out among all these real-life heroes. She put her life on the line in order to put an end to the ruthless killing spree. ABC News reports that while it still is not clear as to who fired the very bullet that put down the gunman, Officer Munley was drawing fire and saved who knows how many other people from getting shot.

    And as the New York Daily News reports, this is not the first time that Munley has engaged in a life-saving act of heroism.

    Here's hoping for a full recovery for Kimberly Munley. And a hearty WTG for all of the other individuals who acted heroically. I hope their names emerge as they all deserve tribute and recognition.

  24. #24

    Default Re: And I'll say it again...

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    I can appreciate your frustration, but how do you arrive at that conclusion? That approach hasn't worked in other locations where it has been tried.
    Yes - we could try it the Somali way! Guns for everybody!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    A lot of attention has naturally been focused on the gunman. But first and foremost in our thoughts should be on the victims and their families.
    Jesus bar Joseph, from Nazareth, counseled people to "Let the dead bury the dead."

    If we listen to this advice, where should our attention be focused? Not on the victims, we can do nothing for them. Their families will be tended to by their own support groups; they don't need our impotent "thoughts," which do nothing but absolve our own consciences.

    First and foremost, our thoughts should be upon providing a way for our society to reach out to those disenfranchised who commit such acts. We need to reduce such incidents and prevent such travesty. How? Monitor the treatment of people who may be targeted for discrimination or other abuse. Have people available to intervene when some person's behaviour falls outside their normal limits - counselors who can help them find inner peace.

    Most often these mass-killings have been committed by people who have been picked on, ridiculed, bullied or asking for help and were being ignored. It is our duty as a society to not marginalize such people, but to provide the attention and assistance they need to get back on track.

    Abnormal or anti-social behaviour is often a cry for help from someone at the end of their rope. If we don't help them before they drop off, then we have no one but ourselves to blame - we didn't pay enough attention, and we didn't care enough.

    In this case, according to reports, all the signs were there that this guy needed help. There is no excuse for his being ignored. Timely counseling would have saved lives and stopped a lot of pain.

    Paying lip-service to the victims is too little, too late (but it is 'politically correct').

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Let everyone that wants to carry a sidearm and this BS will become something of our stupid past.
    It's unlikely that all illegal violence would be stopped, but those states (like Florida) where firearm permits MUST be issued upon request to law-abiding citizens have seen a dramatic drop in violent crime.

    Unlikely to happen here, though - Mufi is a member of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" which has a platform against ALL guns, legal or illegal.

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    I can appreciate your frustration, but how do you arrive at that conclusion? That approach hasn't worked in other locations where it has been tried.

    The man is obviously deranged. Logic doesn't work with people who are mentally ill.
    He arrived at that conclusion by reading the statistics.

    You can google hundreds of news articles like this one which show that when more citizens carry firearms there is less violent crime.

    Google "shall issue gun laws" and see for yourself. It DOES work. You should do your homework before you start calling people names.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •