X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

Officials: 11 killed, plus gunman, in Fort Hood shootings

November 5, 2009 6:35 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- Eleven people plus a gunman were dead and 31 wounded after the gunman opened fire Thursday on a soldier-processing center at Fort Hood, Texas, officials said.

The gunman was a soldier, and two other soldiers have been detained as suspects, Army Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said.

The slain gunman was identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, a law enforcement source told CNN. Licensed in Virginia, Hasan was a psychiatrist who previously worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center but more recently was practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, according to professional records.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

What are we come to, as a society?

Why is there nowhere to turn but murder? And why murder innocents?

Seems there are many people with desperate feelings out there (I have heard that for every person acting out there are 100 holding back the same feelings, keeping murder in check).

Alledgedly we know more now than we did 100 years ago, why can we not prevent this?

It's not weapons, or weapons availability; I can get a fully automatic assault machine pistol downtown for $400 within two hours. Totally illegal. Citizens acting within our super-restrictive laws cannot get enough to protect their homes as fast as they need them.

It's all upside-down.

Pray.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Heard an update on the news that the gunman didn't die. He is currently in stable condition.

One would think that a psychiatrist would have enough mental health "tools" at his disposal to thwart such behavior or at least know that something is wrong and seek help. Maybe that just shows how naive I am.

What an incredibly sad situation.

Comment

I honestly am surprised that things like this don't happen more often.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          One would think that a psychiatrist would have enough mental health "tools" at his disposal to thwart such behavior or at least know that something is wrong and seek help. Maybe that just shows how naive I am.
          How often that the last one to know that someone needs help is that person himself, no matter how educated or intelligent he may be.

CNN reports that Major Hasan practiced Islam and was wearing Muslim garb earlier that morning. There were also reports that Hasan had previously tried (and failed) to get out of the army, as he didn't want to be deployed to the Middle East. Perhaps he was caught up in feelings of conflict between his loyalties to the US military and his religious beliefs.

One more thing to note. Hasan was a graduate of Virginia Tech. That, of course, is the same university where a student went on a mass-shooting rampage on the VT campus two years ago.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            I honestly am surprised that things like this don't happen more often.

Aj
            It's beginning to happen more often. With this weak economy and our presence in Afghanistan (this person who was a Major was to be shipped out there), people are reaching their breaking points.

People are reaching the end of their unemployment benefits and are stressing out at what will happen next. The headlines are telling us many things but nothing seems to help those who are facing foreclosures, and no prospect of jobs in the near future. Add to that the celebrity deaths and international natural disasters occuring, it's no wonder many have reached the end of their lines of sanity.

And this guy who killed those people at Fort Hood, was a US Major but more importantly, he was a Muslim. That isn't going to fare well with the ignorant who believe all Muslims are evil. I fear for those Muslims living here in the US.

When US Marines raped that girl in Okinawa a few years ago, it started a campaign by Okinawans to rid their land of the Marines. Can that happen here in the US? Will that start another hate campaign against Muslims here residing peacefully among other US Citizens? With all the calamity going on here and abroad, I don't think it will take much to change the balance of mutual respect for one another and chaos to begin.

Incidents such as this is one that becomes the indicator of more to follow. It will happen more often, we're seeing it happen right now.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              What are we come to, as a society?

Why is there nowhere to turn but murder? And why murder innocents?

Seems there are many people with desperate feelings out there (I have heard that for every person acting out there are 100 holding back the same feelings, keeping murder in check).

Alledgedly we know more now than we did 100 years ago, why can we not prevent this?

It's not weapons, or weapons availability; I can get a fully automatic assault machine pistol downtown for $400 within two hours. Totally illegal. Citizens acting within our super-restrictive laws cannot get enough to protect their homes as fast as they need them.

It's all upside-down. Pray.
              As sick as this Hasan dude is, if he didn't have a gun, he'd find something else. Like a bomb for example, radical muslim's seem to have a fondness for those too. So ammonium nitrate fertilizer should be banned too? That would be a heavy blow to our farmers.

Or just look at the big kitchen knife in your drawer at home. For most people it is just a tool to help prepare dinner with. Then again some psycho could use that same knife to kill all his family members with while they slept. Should we ban this too?

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                As sick as this Hasan dude is, if he didn't have a gun, he'd find something else. Like a bomb for example, radical muslim's seem to have a fondness for those too.
                Are you implying that Maj. Hasan is a radical muslim? And what exactly does that entail?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Another day, another mass murder in America

Yes, this one is the worst, until the next one. These crazy happenings are nearly a daily thing now. We cringe and then it's off to do our dailies. It's become so commonplace that we expect it every time the news is on.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Yup...just on the news now, in Orlando Fla some shooter is holed up in a high rise and there are multiple victims.

<edit>

Here's a report on it:

http://www.wesh.com/cnn-news/21541263/detail.html

Comment

May God take into his arms the killed and wounded. Blessings from England.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        And this guy who killed those people at Fort Hood, was a US Major but more importantly, he was a Muslim. That isn't going to fare well with the ignorant who believe all Muslims are evil. I fear for those Muslims living here in the US.
                        he was also american-born. but people who believe all muslims are evil radicals will lump him in with the taliban/al qaeda, anti-western civilization type.

As sick as this Hasan dude is, if he didn't have a gun, he'd find something else. Like a bomb for example, radical muslim's seem to have a fondness for those too.
                        see? and it was only one post after yours, mr. watanabe.

i wonder what people would say if the shooter were born-again christian and screamed, "praise the lord jesus christ" as he killed innocents. bet that would get a totally different treatment.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                          Yup...just on the news now, in Orlando Fla some shooter is holed up in a high rise and there are multiple victims.
                          Wasn't the anniversary of the Xerox killings shown on the news recently? This is going to sound like an Art Bell show. Is there some kind of a lunar effect for this time of year?

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                            he was also american-born. but people who believe all muslims are evil radicals will lump him in with the taliban/al qaeda, anti-western civilization type.
                            see? and it was only one post after yours, mr. watanabe.
                            In defense of AlohaKine, he did not lump all Muslims as being violent and militant. Notice that he used the adjective radical to describe those particular Muslims who resort to the use of deadly weapons against innocent victims. I think most people will agree that "radical" is a fitting term for such ones, as their extremist views veer far from mainstream Islam, which practices tolerance and peaceful coexistence with all people.

i wonder what people would say if the shooter were born-again christian and screamed, "praise the lord jesus christ" as he killed innocents. bet that would get a totally different treatment.
                            Would it?

If you read up on news stories that talk about the bombings of abortion clinics that occur at the hands of extremist pro-life Christians, it is not uncommon for the media, law enforcement, and politicians to refer to these folks as "terrorists."
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              In defense of AlohaKine, he did not lump all Muslims as being violent and militant. Notice that he used the adjective radical to describe those particular Muslims who resort to the use of deadly weapons against innocent victims. I think most people will agree that "radical" is a fitting term for such ones, as their extremist views veer far from mainstream Islam, which practices tolerance and peaceful coexistence with all people.
                              oh dear. gramps is at it again--his favorite game of parsing sentences while turning a cataractous eye and otitic ear to the larger text. tsk, tsk.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              If you read up on news stories that talk about the bombings of abortion clinics that occur at the hands of extremist pro-life Christians, it is not uncommon for the media, law enforcement, and politicians to refer to these folks as "terrorists."
                              i'd submit it's far from common enough, as evidenced by the treatment of scott roeder by faux news darlings like o'reilly and coulter.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X