Electrical repair needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical repair needed

I have a couple of table lamps on my computer desk, and each one's lamp socket switch (push-button) has failed. I have no faith in my ability to wire a new switch.

Anybody know a good inexpensive electrician who does this kind of thing?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Electrical repair needed

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
    I have a couple of table lamps on my computer desk, and each one's lamp socket switch (push-button) has failed. I have no faith in my ability to wire a new switch.

An electrician probably won't touch that kind of work. Wiring in a new switch isn't as hard is it looks. As a matter of fact if it's just a simple pushbutton switch, chances are you can even go to Home Depot and buy the switch yourself. Seek out good Electrical Department sales associate for sound advice.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You're more likely to succeed with an appliance-repair guy or a handyman. Unfortunately it's been at least a decade since I've used one and I don't know who's in the business any more. Small-appliance repairs are a vanishing industry as they become cheaper (in both cost and design/construction) and disposable.

Another issue is that the repair bill could exceed the cost of buying a new lamp. You'd have to put a good bit of value on those lamps to feel happy about repairing them.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        An electrician probably won't touch that kind of work. Wiring in a new switch isn't as hard is it looks. As a matter of fact if it's just a simple pushbutton switch, chances are you can even go to Home Depot and buy the switch yourself. Seek out good Electrical Department sales associate for sound advice.

+1

Although where I live, Home Depot and good Electrical Department sales associate, don't always belong in the same sentence

And when all else fails... Google.

Ehow.com article on replacing a broken lamp switch
        -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
          +1

Although where I live, Home Depot and good Electrical Department sales associate, don't always belong in the same sentence

And when all else fails... Google.

Ehow.com article on replacing a broken lamp switch
          Here's a good way to seek out a competant Home Depot Associate. Look for the grey hairs. They tend to have more experience and patience with customers.

What kind of lamp is it? Does it use a flourescent lamp (tube-style not CFL)? Or does it use the more typical screw in type bulb? That makes a difference because most flourescent models use a momentary push button switch vs an incandescent model using a standard push on push off switch.

Does it have a power transformer (wall transformer) or is it a straight AC cord going directly to the lamp? This will determine whether the switch is powering 120VAC or something lower such as 12V AC or DC.

In any case practically all lamp switches have only two connections and it typically doesn't matter which two connections to use.

The most important part to remember is that you always tie in the switch on the hot (Black) wire and not the neutral (white) or return wire. The green wire (for three-pronged plugs) is always ground.

If you see Red/Black then typically the Black is always the hot lead in AC circuits. In DC circuits Red is the hot lead or positive lead.

If you need help wiring your lamp, let me know and I'll step you through it. Some pictures would help otherwise a lot of accurate descriptions will be necessary.

Heck go down to a Home Depot and look at their How-To books. Just browse thru it until you get a decent understanding about how to wire up a lamp switch, then put the book back. This really is very simple and you'll get it right away. The books at Home Depot also tell you what items you'll need to complete the job with SKU's for the product available right in the store.

Comment

It's incandescent, straight pushbutton. Cord is wall-to-lamp, no transformer.

I recognize that doing it myself would be less expensive (barring electrocution and hospital/burial expense), and that replacing the lamps might be cheaper than getting somebody to do it. I'm just uncomfortable with wiring.

I'll go to HD or City Mill and see what kind of advice I can get before I call in the Appliance repair guys.

Thanks, Craig. I may take you up on it.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

It's incandescent, straight pushbutton. Cord is wall-to-lamp, no transformer.

I recognize that doing it myself would be less expensive (barring electrocution and hospital/burial expense), and that replacing the lamps might be cheaper than getting somebody to do it. I'm just uncomfortable with wiring.

I'll go to HD or City Mill and see what kind of advice I can get before I call in the Appliance repair guys.

Thanks, Craig. I may take you up on it.
              Please do! I'd love to help you out.

Comment

Try "googling" it thet usually have videos showing how to do it.

Comment

Linkmeister, I have rewired several lamps like you described. It is easy, and if I can do it, you can, too. Just don't plug in the lamp until you have reassembled it; that way all the wires are covered.

Definitely take up Craig on his offer. Also check the web, I am certain there will be a few videos on YouTube.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X