Google Maps Street View for Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Maps Street View for Oahu

I've heard the Google Maps Street View van was driving around a few months ago. It looks like they've uploaded their Oahu data, and most of the island is there now.

Kinda weird, seeing my house there.

Re: Google Maps Street View for Oahu

did you drag the little yellow man on the scale onto your block? when i did that, i could tell by the 360 degree, on the street view that they went by our house on a monday afternoon, post-rubbish pick up, while eric and i were at work. i even saw one of our neighbors in his yard.

i checked eric's mom's house. the van must have gone by there around 8-9 am in the morning, as evidenced by the absence of the shibas in the yard and the position of the sun.

i google-mapped my mom's address and saw my mom's wheelchair ramp, mid-construction. obviously, the van went by my mom's neighborhood years ago.

totally surreal.
    Last edited by cynsaligia; November 10, 2009, 08:46 AM.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I just checked my address - could see the dog in the yard & my landlord's son at his car, with my landlord in the background. it's very weird to see the views they have now!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

forgot to mention that if you google our address, it still points to the wrong house. not that eric or i mind.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

i sent my mom the link to the google maps street view of her house with too little explanation and she thought i somehow found the pic her wheelchair ramp builder sent to the City of Portland. while trying to find a suitable link to explain to her about google maps street view, i came across the following:

google maps van hits deer

swordfight in pittsburg

a whole bunch of funny stuff on google maps--people peeing, people passed on on sidewalks, drug deals, and (while not funny) bikini-clad wahine in hawaii.

Comment

I can't figure out how to get the street view. I drag that little, yellow person icon to the street as the dialogue box asks...but nuttin' happens! What step am I missing?

Comment

it's not available for every location. we just tried my co-workers address in Foster Village - it doesn't work for his. but it does work for mine in Makiki. Go Figure!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm so glad they came when our garage door was closed!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  it's not available for every location. [...]
                  I can't get it to work for any location! Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. When you drag the person icon to the street is it supposed to go into street view automatically?

Comment

When you look at the map on the top right be sure you are clicked on satellite view, then click on the yellow man, drag and release...at least that's all that I do and it works. Good Luck.

Oops I was wrong you don't have to be in the satellite mode for it to work.
                    Last edited by D'Alani; November 10, 2009, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Aha! I found the missing piece to my puzzle! The little person icon has to be dragged onto a street with yellow stripes!

Very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        it's not available for every location. we just tried my co-workers address in Foster Village - it doesn't work for his. but it does work for mine in Makiki. Go Figure!
                        They weren't allowed in our neighborhood.

Comment

I've been playing with it this morning. Very addictive. I can see my place clearly. Is there is a way to find out exactly when the pictures were taken? Besides checking clocks on building (1:30 p.m. when they were doing my neighborhood) and seeing businesses still there when you know they went out of business during the summer?

Comment

At our Hale, it was before we did major trimming of overgrown palms fronting our garage, but with a big pile of yard rubbish stacked high against the chain link fence separating our yard from neighbor's - and before we got a new roof in July.
                            We DID see the street views camera car in the parking lot at Kailua Don Quijote a few months ago, so we knew they were "around" our neighborhood.

Comment

Wow!

I looked up the places I used to live -- so many memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X