Google Maps Street View for Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google Maps Street View for Oahu

I am sure the place we lived on Pensacola st. is highly visible! That blue roof probably attracts aliens!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      [...]The little person icon has to be dragged onto a street with yellow stripes![...]
      Blue stripes work, too! I clearly saw several homes I used to live in. It's almost as if I stood in the street and took the picture myself. Amazing.

I did see what I thought to be a Google Earth car (with camera mounted on a long pole atop the car) in the Nanakuli area earlier this year. I would guess that Google maps and earth might share images?

Fun technology.

Comment

The viewing availabilities for So. Cal is pretty impressive, even tho the close up's are strictly from the vantage point of the fronting street.
        I spent at least a week cruising my old neighborhoods of Maywood/Bell/Downey and such. It blew my mind to see the now 80 year old home I grew up in, still looking like it did only with new style window casings.
        The sad part, this once vibrant area, full of fun, style, and very interesting people, has devolved into a dull and mundane hood, devoid even of the many trees that were everywhere. The ancient Clock Drive-In is still on the corner near my high school, now a taco joint, probably damn good as it's mainly Mexican/Americans that live there, and my little old breakfast of champions Winchell's Donut shop is there. But little else.
        With the wonders of the internet, you indeed CAN go back. But this is as close as I'd want to.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
          I am sure the place we lived on Pensacola st. is highly visible! That blue roof probably attracts aliens!
          if i'm thinking of the right building, it's not as blazingly blue as you'd think it'd be on google maps. i just looked.

(prior to moving in to live in sin w/eric, i lived on piikoi near wilder.)

hey, zff, remember this post o'yours (thread here)?

Originally posted by zff View Post
          This thread is inspired by Mike_Lowery's thread about the Kakaako Pump Station. I've noticed other similarly unusual or mysterious things "hiding" in plain sight like that. Stuff you see all the time and just never really question.

Here are some of the ones I already know....

Here's the Kakaako Pump Station, just to have it on this list...
          http://maps.google.com/maps?q=21.298254,-157.862817

The Burmeister Overpass:
          http://maps.google.com/?q=21.366956,-157.841215

There's a big metal door about 4' off the ground here. I've been told there's pumping equipment behind this door, but it's surprising how many people never notice the door.
          http://maps.google.com/maps?q=21.301105,-157.833975

Ok, now for the stuff I don't know. Maybe someone here knows what these are....

What's this off 10th Ave? You can't see it in this map, but it looks like there's an entrance to an underground facility here.
          http://maps.google.com/?q=21.285077,-157.799282

Where does this road off the Likelike go?
          http://maps.google.com/maps?q=21.374846,-157.821275
          I assume it goes to this building, but what's that?

When I was learning how to fly, I spent a lot of time in the air above Kunia. I noticed several buildings hidden in the foliage far above Makakilo. What are they?
          http://maps.google.com/?q=21.390918,-158.099769

Is this a house? It's HUGE!
          http://maps.google.com/?q=21.62865,-157.921584

Speaking of houses, this is something I noticed while flying. Is this someone's house? It's way in the middle of nowhere in Mililani Mauka:
          http://maps.google.com/?q=21.482962,-157.971447
          i guess now you can "see for yourself" in some instances now.
          Last edited by cynsaligia; November 10, 2009, 06:12 PM.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            The viewing availabilities for So. Cal is pretty impressive, [...]
            I just finished cruising around Laguna Beach! Old homes, high school, friends homes. No airline ticket. No jet lag!

Comment

I clearly saw several homes I used to live in. It's almost as if I stood in the street and took the picture myself. Amazing.
              I downloaded one shot near my neighborhood to my hard drive and the quality is pretty good. It really is almost like you shot it yourself. There is the Google watermark, though. But if you want to take a quick shot of a building that's within the Google zone and send it to someone, it's pretty good. In fact, it's pretty hard to beat.

I also re-visited my old neighborhood when I lived in Newport Beach, CA. It looked pretty much the same. Amazing.

Comment

I did see what I thought to be a Google Earth car (with camera mounted on a long pole atop the car) in the Nanakuli area earlier this year. I would guess that Google maps and earth might share images?
                It would appear so. I "drove" around looking for a building with tall, very reflective windows so I could see a reflection of the Google car. This is the best I could find... click on this link, switch to Street View, and look at the building to the west.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=21.308393,-157.864369

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                hey, zff, remember this post o'yours (thread here)?

i guess now you can "see for yourself" in some instances now.
                Yes! Those "mystery" spots were some of the first I visited in Street View.

Comment

No street views in our neighborhood... yet? Just a driveby on a nearby highway with traffic backing up behind the camera. I wonder if they're trying for complete coverage.

I turned on the map labels and learned that Google thinks Senator Inouye is living up the street. Must be old old (or just plain wrong) info.
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I just finished cruising around Laguna Beach! Old homes, high school, friends homes. No airline ticket. No jet lag!
                    You're funny! I should do that for Montara, CA - good idea!

Comment

I just 'drove' around Japan and Italy. Cool.

Comment

Hey! I just tried to find my old fale in Falevai. Seriously. No street view there! Maybe because there's no street, just bush.

Oh well, hope springs eternal.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                          I just 'drove' around Japan and Italy. Cool.
                          For everyone's info, this website is good for checking English addresses on Japanese maps (helps you look up a Japanese address and later look at it with google street view).

Comment

Interesting sight at Sacred Falls...

You can get a birdseye view of the mountain ridge near the pool at the back of the valley and make out what's left from the rockfall starting point.
                            It's a small dry waterfall ravine as seen in the available angle, and you can see there was a small pocket for rock to build up in at the wall's edge.

I used to hang at the pool, see the pile sitting up there, and wonder when it would go.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

What? Once again, I've no clue what you're talking about.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It took me awhile, Scriv. I, too, had no idea what Ron was talking about. Then I saw that he changed the Title to "Interesting sight at Sacred Falls...". My brain tends to stay with the original thread title and not look for changes. IIRC, Ron does this a lot so this might be why you get confused by his postings. Just a thought...

Comment

Working...
                                X