Fruitcake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruitcake

I've been dieting for several months, and I find myself dreaming of food: among other things, fruitcake. To distract myself from eating, this morning I went on a web search for fruitcake, since I don't think anyone is going to give me one this Christmas. Yes, I know the joke about there being only one existing fruitcake that people just pass around every holiday, but still, some fruitcakes are better than others. I've decided to give myself a 2 lb. Assumption Abbey fruitcake -- $29.50 shipped to anywhere in the US, apparently including Hawaii. (I really dislike paying a shipping surcharge just because I don't live on the mainland.)

I suppose I should have waited to post here until my fruitcake actually arrived, and I could tell you what it tasted like, but by then, you know, Assumption Abbey (trappist monks in Missouri) would have run out of them for this Christmas (they age them around 10 months). Besides, I'm no fruitcake gourmet, so you'd better trust other reviewers, anyway.

My principle reference for fruitcake expertise is the web site Mondo Fruitcake, where the Assumption fruitcake is rated 3rd of the top-rated group of "monastery fruitcakes". I didn't choose the very highest rated fruitcake from the Gethsemani monastery in Kentucky, because it's flavored with Kentucky Bourbon, which I happen not to be fond of. The Assumption fruitcake uses burgundy (to mascerate the fruit) and rum. Here is the Assumption Abbey site, the Wilson-Sonoma catalog entry with some reviews, and a news article A Labor of Loaves.
    Greg

Re: Fruitcake

Let's face it, this dieting thing is driving you mad. If I were you, I'd jump off the wagon. Better to be fat and sane, than being a skinny fruit loop. Fruit cake should be outlawed or at least regulated as deadly weapons. Buyers should be required to be certified so they won't drop it on someone's foot.

Comment

Greg, the great thing about fruitcake is that a little goes a long way. You don't have to eat a lot of calories to get the taste you long for, and have a nice hot drink with it to fill up your tummy! I remember my granny's fruitcake, and a tiny square the size of a golf ball was plenty rich enough!

No need to jump off the wagon...just tighten up the reins a little bit.

Comment

My mother has this thing for Collin Street Bakery in Texas fruitcake. She
        always gets one every year by mail and really likes it. Harry & David have one that is for people who hate the stuff and I actually had a bite and while I probably will never crave it the cake wasn't bad.

Comment

My Mom makes the best fruitcake. It's buttery and not sweet. I guess it's not technically fruitcake... it's more like pound cake. I should ask her for the recipe, since she's in her 80s.

Comment

You'll find reviews of the Collin Street and Harry & David fruitcakes, as well as many others, on the Mondo Fruitcake web site that I linked to. The one I settled on is a more traditional rum-soaked type (according to Isabelle).
            Last edited by GregLee; November 11, 2009, 08:55 AM.
            Greg

Comment

Working...
            X