Ways to improve the HD radio scene in Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to improve the HD radio scene in Honolulu

Now that I have an HD radio and got to sample the various HD stations, I have thought about ways to improve the HD radio scene in Honolulu:
    • KINE 105.1 HD2 could carry the traditional Hawaiian music of AM 940 KKNE.
    • KRTR 96.3 could start broadcasting in HD and their HD2 could carry the easy listening oldies music of KRTR AM 650.

Re: Ways to improve the HD radio scene in Honolulu

We need more diversity on the radio dial instead of just broadcasting the same analog content in digital form. Maybe an all polka station on KRTR HD2... yep, that might work.

Another thing that might work to increase HD radio penetration... cheaper radios!
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      We need more diversity on the radio dial instead of just broadcasting the same analog content in digital form. Maybe an all polka station on KRTR HD2... yep, that might work.

Another thing that might work to increase HD radio penetration... cheaper radios!
      Just what is the compelling reason for me to go out and spend money on an HD Radio?

The HD Radio website tells me I can get "CD quality" sound. Big deal. Most listeners really can't tell the difference.

Then there is the promise of "New artists and new personalities - New genres, new music from abroad - New kinds of programs you’ve never listened to before - New experimental formats that no one has ever heard." I don't think that has occurred on the new additional HD channels anywhere. And considering the "slash the programming budget" attitude of most of today's operators, I doubt we'll see them spending any money on new channels until there are many more receivers in place.

Right now, it seems to me that the only compelling reason for getting one may be that it's a new gadget. Kinda like that Black & Decker Gizmo Can Opener I had to have a couple of years ago. I have no idea where it is now.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see HD Radio follow in the footsteps of FM Quad and AM Stereo.

I still have my Sony AM Stereo radio...but I can't remember when I was able to pick up any AM Stereo stations.

Comment

When it becomes dirt cheap to buy an HD radio, I'll consider getting one.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
          Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see HD Radio follow in the footsteps of FM Quad and AM Stereo.
          Frankly, I fear you are right. I haven't seen any signs of HD Radio truly catching on, and I know that some stations who were in the forefront of utilizing it for multiple program streams are now slowing that development down.

The sound quality is amazingly good ... but not particularly noticeable on any of the affordable units! I have a Radiosophy model that was one of the first units to sell for less than $100. It's nice for us to use as a table radio, and I enjoy being able to listen to a variety of musical and news program streams.

But for the most part, those same streams are available via the internet, on the station websites - and that's the way more and more people will listen to them. No need to buy an additional appliance.

Yes, it sounds better on the HD unit than on the computer - but Beta looked better than VHS, once upon a time. The lack of interest in the consumer market is what will kill HD Radio. Too small a percentage of users care about the higher-quality sound; convenience wins out there (thank you SO much for that, mp3 compression algorithms).

Comment

The HD radio I have is an Insignia HD Radio Portable Player for $50 from BestBuy.com. Being the cheapest, I've noticed that the HD2 stations drop out as I walk around. The further the station, the more frequently the station will drop out. With analog FM, you can at least hear a rather weak station with static and/or not coming in too clear. With HD, it either comes in completely clear or it doesn't come in at all, no in-betweens. IMHO that is another turn-off for the HD radio market.

Comment

Originally posted by IBadget View Post
              With HD, it either comes in completely clear or it doesn't come in at all, no in-betweens. IMHO that is another turn-off for the HD radio market.
              Just like digital over the air TV.

I am glad the government is not mandating that radio broadcasters abandon the analog spectrum.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by IBadget View Post
                The HD radio I have is an Insignia HD Radio Portable Player for $50 from BestBuy.com. Being the cheapest, I've noticed that the HD2 stations drop out as I walk around. The further the station, the more frequently the station will drop out. With analog FM, you can at least hear a rather weak station with static and/or not coming in too clear. With HD, it either comes in completely clear or it doesn't come in at all, no in-betweens. IMHO that is another turn-off for the HD radio market.
                I believe that if you are listening to the main channel of the station in HD, the tuner should blend the HD and analog signals to prevent the dropouts. This works only if the analog signal is time-aligned with the digital signal.

Of course, if you are listening to HD2, HD3, etc., there would be no corresponding analog channel, so you would have silence during the dropouts.

I agree with Mel. Low price will be my motivator.

Comment

Working...
                X