Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turning into: how do you stay safe?

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I've heard it is common in Tonga for unattended items to be 'claimed' for use by passers-by. A different cultural concept of property.
    That is correct. What belongs to one, belongs to the community. If you take something without asking, it is called "borrowing."

Also if someone admires something you have, you are obligated to give it to them. I was shocked to learn this the first time I admired a womans shirt and she took it off (no undergarments) and gave it to me. Well, it wasn't that bad! Anyway, I stopped wearing a wristwatch to avoid any problems.

Nobody needed guns in their fales in Tonga to prevent intrusions. Intrusions were expected and acceptable.

I warned you all in my introduction on HT that I wasTongan at heart. So take my opinions in that context.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Changing again!

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      That is correct. What belongs to one, belongs to the community. If you take something without asking, it is called "borrowing."

Also if someone admires something you have, you are obligated to give it to them. I was shocked to learn this the first time I admired a womans shirt and she took it off (no undergarments) and gave it to me. Well, it wasn't that bad! Anyway, I stopped wearing a wristwatch to avoid any problems.

Nobody needed guns in their fales in Tonga to prevent intrusions. Intrusions were expected and acceptable.

I warned you all in my introduction on HT that I wasTongan at heart. So take my opinions in that context.
      I find beauty in the differences between cultures, as each is an adaptation to its own social/physical environment.

Far be it from me to analyze the reasoning behind Tongan customs; though I have studied Polynesian culture, I am far from a complete understanding and analysis. Off hand it seems like a close knit culture is necessary for survival, and resources are scarce. Tongans have my admiration. Tongans in Hawai`i have to adapt to Hawai`i customs - I'm sure it's not easy.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans."

In Hawai`i, as in most of America, we have a split culture of haves and have nots. I think there are at least three levels:
      1. The disenfranchised, who often are the victimizers (criminals).
      2. The struggling workers, who often become the victims, because they have enough to steal, but not enough to provide adequate protection.
      3. The independently rich, who have enough to steal, but also have enough to hire private security (think Rosie O'Donnell and Oprah). These are most often the super-rich who support gun control, FWIW, they want no one but the police, army and their private guards to have guns!
      I still do not understand why the ultra-rich want to deprive the working class of the protection they themselves enjoy - are they afraid of the working class?
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: What's your favorite gun store?

[...]
        Life is too short for violence over materialistic things that are meaningless.[...]
        Try telling that to a crystal meth user!

Comment

Cornered Cat is a good gun site written by a woman.

Here's some of experiences women have when they go to a gun store for the first time:
          http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/missadventures.aspx

An excellent article on how to rack (pull back) the slide on a semi-auto gun, using one's muscles/body efficiently:
          http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Try telling that to a crystal meth user!
            I wouldn't even begin to. If confronted by a crystal meth user, intent on robbery, I would ask them what they wanted and give it to them.

There are a number of HT members who feel a gun is necessry for home protection. My brother owned a gun for protection several years ago. His house was broken into one night while he was away. The only significant thing that was taken was the gun, which was hidden in a "secret" location and some costume jewelry valued at less than $100.

How many people on HT have been held at gunpoint either in or out of their home by a crystal meth user intent on robbery?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Re: What's your favorite gun for?

How many people on HT have been held at gunpoint either in or out of their home by a crystal meth user intent on robbery?
              Ostensibly we have guns in civilian and police hands so as to prevent crime, not to create it. Unfortunately, for various reasons, criminals acquire guns as well, which makes the ownership of firearms by honest, law-abiding citizens even more urgent.

I would rather ask:

How many people on HT have been in a situation where the presence of a gun (fired or unfired, held or displayed by you or another person - even by a policeman) prevented or even possibly prevented a crime?

K.
              ~ ~

Comment

How many people on HT have been in a situation where the presence of a gun (fired or unfired, held or displayed by you or another person - even by a policeman) prevented or even possibly prevented a crime?
                From my experience, the answer is never. And I don't personally know anyone who could answer yes.

Comment

One could just as easily ask if anyone has been in a situation where the presence of a firearm escalated a crime, perhaps even resulting in the death of someone who would have remained alive, had there been no weapons present during the commission of said crime?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    One could just as easily ask if anyone has been in a situation where the presence of a firearm escalated a crime, perhaps even resulting in the death of someone who would have remained alive, had there been no weapons present during the commission of said crime?
                    Good counterpoint, Leo.
                    Fair game.

I have never been in a situation as you describe, but I can count 3 instances in Hawaii where the presence of a firearm (once mine, twice in the hands of police) prevented a crime in my presence.

On the mainland? I remember one situation in Connecticut, two in Georgia, and one in Nevada, where my personal firearm defused a potentially threatening situation. I was always legally licensed (where necessary). And I have never had to fire a shot since 1968 Vietnam.

K
                    ~ ~

Comment

From my experience, the answer is never. And I don't personally know anyone who could answer yes.
                      Naturally by answering yes it precludes you to terroristic threatening charges, but to answer that question, you just met someone.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: What's your favorite police screw-up?

On second thought, Leo, there have been a number of situations where the presence of a firearm in the hands of the police have escalated a situation and caused an unnecessary death.

Most recent is the woman downtown, perhaps mentally ill, who was tased, then shot by officers, even though her only weapons were a pair of poorly described pieces of metal. This was just this last July! You were baiting me, right???

But you are right. Had the officers in question NOT had firearms at their disposal, the crime would have been minimised. Likely the two strong officers could have subdued the undernourished and ill woman without shooting her.

Perhaps it's time to disarm the police and arm the public???

Nah....

But the police could use some training....

K.
                        ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          to answer that question, you just met someone.
                          And you're listed as one of my friends, so that makes two.
                          ~ ~

Comment

Re: What's your favorite police screw-up?

You were baiting me, right???
                            No, sir; just hoping you would look at the situation from a different perspective (without insisting that you agree with it). And you did so, quite well. You understood my point.

Comment

I visited Kaneohe Gun Shop today. It's a one man operation. The owner's very serious and not chit chatty (at least today), BUT if you get him talking about gun control or self defense, then he's very "verbose", as Scrivener puts it. He got so into his spiel, he forgot about a customer who walked up to the counter.

I decided to go with him for the gun safety course (even though he charges $30 more than the other guys). You get one-on-one attention with a self defense orientation.

I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling he's gonna help me choose the right gun for me, instead of pushing the most expensive fad gun. I'll let you know, after I take his class and buy a gun.

Unlike the other stores, he lists his prices online. They seem pretty fair. I had a hard time finding Ruger .22LR MkIII's. This guy had two of them and they were the cheapest, compared to the other stores.

His seriousness and intensity may rub some people the wrong way, but I like it. He may not know everything, and he could be wrong about some things, but he'll do what he believes is best for you.

At least that's my initial impression. We'll see how it goes.
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Re: What's your position? Rigid or flexible?

No, sir; just hoping you would look at the situation from a different perspective (without insisting that you agree with it). And you did so, quite well. You understood my point.
                                Sometimes I have to take a certain tack because someone else is on another tack. I'm actually pretty open and flexible about the benefit/detriment of firearms (and other things, as well), depending on the situation and environment.

For instance, although I'm certain that in most cases legal firearms possession reduces crime, I agree that in Hawaii "shall issue" concealed carry permits would probably not work due to not only the broad mix of disparate cultures (many of which are mutually antagonistic), but because some of the sub-cultures learn (as part of their familial and peer-group enculturation) that laws are to be ignored, disagreement is to be responded to with violence and that 'others' are a threat.

Certainly (to tie in with the OP) if the Major didn't have a firearm, there would be fewer deaths, less violence. However, also, if the lady that stopped him wasn't properly armed, there would have been more.

It's like the proverb of the sword that cuts two ways....

Anyway, I'm glad I passed inspection....

K
                                ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                                X