Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite gun store?

Default Re: What's your favorite gun store?

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    most homeowners are not prepared to fend off an attacker and they will without hesitation knock down your front door and hold you and your family at gunpoint while they rob you silly.
    How often does that happen in Hawaii? I do not want to live in a place where that happens frequently.

If someone broke into my house right now, whether I'm there or not, they would get around $20 bucks in cash, one laptop valued at $279, and a bottle of $100 tequila. That's about it (I don't have a TV). You don't even need a gun to rob my house. If you are that hard up, just knock on the door and I'll give the stuff to you.

Life is too short for violence over materialistic things that are meaningless.

For those that are fascinated by firearms, please take a gun safety class.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Angry Re: What's your favorite gun store?

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    How often does that happen in Hawaii? I do not want to live in a place where that happens frequently.
    Life is too short for violence over materialistic things that are meaningless.

For those that are fascinated by firearms, please take a gun safety class.
    I agree that everyone who is going to hold a firearm should be trained, not only in its proper application, but in using said tool safely.

How often does it happen in Hawaii? I've lived in my home for 20 years, and we have been violated twice by criminals. When I lived in cheap apartments in Waikiki and Kailua no one ever bothered, but a home and family is a better target I guess.

First time I called the police, and it was treated like a ho-hum chore: they arrived 20 minutes after our call, didn't bother to take fingerprints (this was before Boisse), didn't do much more than take a list of missing items (no descriptions) and we never heard anything more. We weren't home at the time, but the alarm system scared them away.

Next time was the middle of the night. I awoke to the attempted break-in (the alarm was off, of course) and confronted the intruders with a pistol. They ran. I yelled at them to keep running and don't come back. The police were uninterested, since it was so dark I could give no description.

The bottom line is that if you want to avoid being a victim, it on you. You can be like Matapule and have no goods or family to protect, but if you have a family, and you care about them, protecting them is your responsibility. Don't depend on others.

Twice in 20 years is too frequent for me not to take steps to protect myself.

And it likely happens more often in Hawaii than you would expect; neither of my incidents made the papers.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    How often does it happen in Hawaii? I've lived in my home for 20 years, and we have been violated twice by criminals.
    Yikes!!! My home has never been invaded while occupied or unoccupied in 43 years of marriage. I guess I'm safer living in a country like Mexico. Oh wait, Fokikovi did break into our fale in Falevai (there were no such thing as locks in Tonga). We came home from a faikava late one evening and found him inside. He had discovered that we had nothing of value to "borrow." I gave him a "matapule lecture", something to eat, assigned some chores around our api, and sent him on his way. Another time I lost a pair of long pants off the clothesline in Falevai. Although I was pi$$ed, it was no biggie.

We weren't home at the time, but the alarm system scared them away.
    My question was, how often has a home been invaded and the family held hostage at gunpoint like Craig's concern. Also, if the alarm system scared them off, why do you need a gun?

Next time was the middle of the night. I awoke to the attempted break-in (the alarm was off, of course) and confronted the intruders with a pistol. They ran. I yelled at them to keep running and don't come back.
    If it was dark, how did they know you had a pistol? What scared them off, your pistol or your shout or the alarm? Why didn't you shoot them? What good is a firearm if you aren't prepared to use it? Did the intruders have a gun?

The police were uninterested, since it was so dark I could give no description.
    What do you expect the police to do if you can't give a description?

You can be like Matapule and have no goods or family to protect, but if you have a family, and you care about them, protecting them is your responsibility.
    Oh, I have family to protect and I do care VERY MUCH about them. I just don't live anywhere that I put them in danger. I do have som materialistic things I like, but they are not so valuable that I would risk shooting someone or being shot.

Twice in 20 years is too frequent for me not to take steps to protect myself.
    I'd think about getting a big dog about now.

And it likely happens more often in Hawaii than you would expect; neither of my incidents made the papers.
    That's good to know when one is making significent lifestyle decisions like matapule is. Mahalo! What part of Hawaii do you live? I'd like being your neighbor, but it sounds a little too stressful for matapule.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Lightbulb Turning into: how do you stay safe?

Another time I lost a pair of long pants off the clothesline in Falevai. Although I was pi$$ed, it was no biggie.
    I've heard it is common in Tonga for unattended items to be 'claimed' for use by passers-by. A different cultural concept of property.

My question was, how often has a home been invaded and the family held hostage at gunpoint like Craig's concern. Also, if the alarm system scared them off, why do you need a gun?
    1. Had I not had some protection I might have fit Craig's description; the guy was bigger than me and had something in his hand.
    2. The alarm system is for when we are away. When I'm home, I am the alarm system.

If it was dark, how did they know you had a pistol? What scared them off, your pistol or your shout or the alarm? Why didn't you shoot them? What good is a firearm if you aren't prepared to use it? Did the intruders have a gun?
    1. They evidently recognized the 'click-ka-click' sound made by a revolver ----being cocked in single-action mode.
    ----When I cocked the gun, they bolted.
    2. See # 1.
    3. I guess that's why I have a gun and you don't.
    --a. He was no longer a threat,
    --b. Shoot him in the back? As he's running away?
    --c. I would only shoot someone if they threatened my or my family's
    -----health or safety. Or perhaps to save the life of a friend or neighbor.
    ____ A firearm can be a deterrent to crime without being fired.
    4. See #3. Responsible gun owners know when and how to use a firearm.
    5. If they did, they didn't make it obvious.

What do you expect the police to do if you can't give a description?
    Come and cruise the area to see if there's someone in the neighborhood wandering around at 3am without a good reason for being there.

Oh, I have family to protect and I do care VERY MUCH about them. I just don't live anywhere that I put them in danger. I do have som materialistic things I like, but they are not so valuable that I would risk shooting someone or being shot.
    I wasn't aware that anyplace was safe, but you seem to have chosen such a place. I hope it stays safe for you.

I'd think about getting a big dog about now.
    I've heard that little 'yappers' are more effective than big 'biters.'

That's good to know when one is making significent lifestyle decisions like matapule is. Mahalo! What part of Hawaii do you live? I'd like being your neighbor, but it sounds a little too stressful for matapule.
    I live in the country, not many close neighbors, nice and quiet most of the time, and very beautiful. Unfortunately the seclusion also invites prowlers. I have since taken additional steps (motion activated lights, etc.) to keep the peace. I'll keep my gun anyway, in case some crack-head decides to visit anyway.

If the police can't protect you, you gotta protect yourself.

K
    ~ ~

Kaonhi knows that we do not have gun stores here. Even his penknife was confiscated in London. (But I will get him another one)

As a Lt colonel in the Brit Royal Navy, we had to carry side arms. I carried mine on empty chambers, in case I shot my leg off.

I could not hit the side of a barn door.

The silly buggers made us do target practice every week but nobody came near to me ~ very wise.

Default Re: Turning into: how do you stay safe?

I've heard it is common in Tonga for unattended items to be 'claimed' for use by passers-by. A different cultural concept of property.
    That is correct. What belongs to one, belongs to the community. If you take something without asking, it is called "borrowing."

Also if someone admires something you have, you are obligated to give it to them. I was shocked to learn this the first time I admired a womans shirt and she took it off (no undergarments) and gave it to me. Well, it wasn't that bad! Anyway, I stopped wearing a wristwatch to avoid any problems.

Nobody needed guns in their fales in Tonga to prevent intrusions. Intrusions were expected and acceptable.

I warned you all in my introduction on HT that I wasTongan at heart. So take my opinions in that context.

Exclamation Changing again!

That is correct. What belongs to one, belongs to the community. If you take something without asking, it is called "borrowing."

Also if someone admires something you have, you are obligated to give it to them. I was shocked to learn this the first time I admired a womans shirt and she took it off (no undergarments) and gave it to me. Well, it wasn't that bad! Anyway, I stopped wearing a wristwatch to avoid any problems.

Nobody needed guns in their fales in Tonga to prevent intrusions. Intrusions were expected and acceptable.

I warned you all in my introduction on HT that I wasTongan at heart. So take my opinions in that context.
    I find beauty in the differences between cultures, as each is an adaptation to its own social/physical environment.

Far be it from me to analyze the reasoning behind Tongan customs; though I have studied Polynesian culture, I am far from a complete understanding and analysis. Off hand it seems like a close knit culture is necessary for survival, and resources are scarce. Tongans have my admiration. Tongans in Hawai`i have to adapt to Hawai`i customs - I'm sure it's not easy.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans."

In Hawai`i, as in most of America, we have a split culture of haves and have nots. I think there are at least three levels:
    1. The disenfranchised, who often are the victimizers (criminals).
    2. The struggling workers, who often become the victims, because they have enough to steal, but not enough to provide adequate protection.
    3. The independently rich, who have enough to steal, but also have enough to hire private security (think Rosie O'Donnell and Oprah). These are most often the super-rich who support gun control, FWIW, they want no one but the police, army and their private guards to have guns!
    I still do not understand why the ultra-rich want to deprive the working class of the protection they themselves enjoy - are they afraid of the working class?
    ~ ~

[...]
    Life is too short for violence over materialistic things that are meaningless.[...]
    Try telling that to a crystal meth user!

Cornered Cat is a good gun site written by a woman.

Here's some of experiences women have when they go to a gun store for the first time:
    http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/missadventures.aspx

An excellent article on how to rack (pull back) the slide on a semi-auto gun, using one's muscles/body efficiently:
    http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Try telling that to a crystal meth user!
    I wouldn't even begin to. If confronted by a crystal meth user, intent on robbery, I would ask them what they wanted and give it to them.

There are a number of HT members who feel a gun is necessry for home protection. My brother owned a gun for protection several years ago. His house was broken into one night while he was away. The only significant thing that was taken was the gun, which was hidden in a "secret" location and some costume jewelry valued at less than $100.

How many people on HT have been held at gunpoint either in or out of their home by a crystal meth user intent on robbery?

Question Re: What's your favorite gun for?

How many people on HT have been held at gunpoint either in or out of their home by a crystal meth user intent on robbery?
    Ostensibly we have guns in civilian and police hands so as to prevent crime, not to create it. Unfortunately, for various reasons, criminals acquire guns as well, which makes the ownership of firearms by honest, law-abiding citizens even more urgent.

I would rather ask:

How many people on HT have been in a situation where the presence of a gun (fired or unfired, held or displayed by you or another person - even by a policeman) prevented or even possibly prevented a crime?

K.
    ~ ~

Default Re: What's your favorite gun for?

How many people on HT have been in a situation where the presence of a gun (fired or unfired, held or displayed by you or another person - even by a policeman) prevented or even possibly prevented a crime?
    From my experience, the answer is never. And I don't personally know anyone who could answer yes.

One could just as easily ask if anyone has been in a situation where the presence of a firearm escalated a crime, perhaps even resulting in the death of someone who would have remained alive, had there been no weapons present during the commission of said crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    One could just as easily ask if anyone has been in a situation where the presence of a firearm escalated a crime, perhaps even resulting in the death of someone who would have remained alive, had there been no weapons present during the commission of said crime?
    Good counterpoint, Leo.
    Fair game.

I have never been in a situation as you describe, but I can count 3 instances in Hawaii where the presence of a firearm (once mine, twice in the hands of police) prevented a crime in my presence.

On the mainland? I remember one situation in Connecticut, two in Georgia, and one in Nevada, where my personal firearm defused a potentially threatening situation. I was always legally licensed (where necessary). And I have never had to fire a shot since 1968 Vietnam.

K
    ~ ~

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Default Re: What's your favorite gun for?

From my experience, the answer is never. And I don't personally know anyone who could answer yes.
    Naturally by answering yes it precludes you to terroristic threatening charges, but to answer that question, you just met someone.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Exclamation Re: What's your favorite police screw-up?

On second thought, Leo, there have been a number of situations where the presence of a firearm in the hands of the police have escalated a situation and caused an unnecessary death.

Most recent is the woman downtown, perhaps mentally ill, who was tased, then shot by officers, even though her only weapons were a pair of poorly described pieces of metal. This was just this last July! You were baiting me, right???

But you are right. Had the officers in question NOT had firearms at their disposal, the crime would have been minimised. Likely the two strong officers could have subdued the undernourished and ill woman without shooting her.

Perhaps it's time to disarm the police and arm the public???

Nah....

But the police could use some training....

K.
    ~ ~

Talking Re: What's your favorite gun for?

to answer that question, you just met someone.
    And you're listed as one of my friends, so that makes two.
    ~ ~

Default Re: What's your favorite police screw-up?

You were baiting me, right???
    No, sir; just hoping you would look at the situation from a different perspective (without insisting that you agree with it). And you did so, quite well. You understood my point.

I visited Kaneohe Gun Shop today. It's a one man operation. The owner's very serious and not chit chatty (at least today), BUT if you get him talking about gun control or self defense, then he's very "verbose", as Scrivener puts it. He got so into his spiel, he forgot about a customer who walked up to the counter.

I decided to go with him for the gun safety course (even though he charges $30 more than the other guys). You get one-on-one attention with a self defense orientation.

I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling he's gonna help me choose the right gun for me, instead of pushing the most expensive fad gun. I'll let you know, after I take his class and buy a gun.

Unlike the other stores, he lists his prices online. They seem pretty fair. I had a hard time finding Ruger .22LR MkIII's. This guy had two of them and they were the cheapest, compared to the other stores.

His seriousness and intensity may rub some people the wrong way, but I like it. He may not know everything, and he could be wrong about some things, but he'll do what he believes is best for you.

At least that's my initial impression. We'll see how it goes.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Talking Re: What's your position? Rigid or flexible?

No, sir; just hoping you would look at the situation from a different perspective (without insisting that you agree with it). And you did so, quite well. You understood my point.
    Sometimes I have to take a certain tack because someone else is on another tack. I'm actually pretty open and flexible about the benefit/detriment of firearms (and other things, as well), depending on the situation and environment.

For instance, although I'm certain that in most cases legal firearms possession reduces crime, I agree that in Hawaii "shall issue" concealed carry permits would probably not work due to not only the broad mix of disparate cultures (many of which are mutually antagonistic), but because some of the sub-cultures learn (as part of their familial and peer-group enculturation) that laws are to be ignored, disagreement is to be responded to with violence and that 'others' are a threat.

Certainly (to tie in with the OP) if the Major didn't have a firearm, there would be fewer deaths, less violence. However, also, if the lady that stopped him wasn't properly armed, there would have been more.

It's like the proverb of the sword that cuts two ways....

Anyway, I'm glad I passed inspection....

K
    ~ ~

Wow Craig the Democrat has a gun? just kidding.....

Brian is in charge of Magnum now....

I have a friend who is obsessed with guns. He'll fire off a round from his Glock, pick up the spent cartridge with a pair of long nosed pliers and inhale the residual scent of the gunpowder and relish it...yeah time to consider your mental health buddy!

Now don't get me wrong, I have no issues with guns. Heck I was a marksman with my M-16 rifle in the military. I hunted Muflon with my friends in Molokai and went pig and bird hunting in Waianae a few times.

As for guns in the house, I have one but it's well hidden and the ammo in distinct different place under lock and key. I got three minor boys in the house. When it comes to personal safety and the closest police precinct is too far away, you gotta protect your family for the moment. Most crooks know that most homeowners are not prepared to fend off an attacker and they will without hesitation knock down your front door and hold you and your family at gunpoint while they rob you silly. Not in my home. I've been trained in firearms, I know how to use them and I won't have any hesitation in using it if my family is threatened...plus knowing Aikido and being trained in taking on armed adversaries from my military days helps.

But if you don't know how to use a gun, then I wouldn't even consider owning one because it will be used against you.

As for gun stores? Art Ong? Lots of guns and very knowledgable, but...

There is a new shop in Waipahu

X-ring Security & Firearms
    94-116 Pupuole Pl
    Waipahu, HI 96797-2318
    (808) 678-8535

It is in back of a Painting Company that the owner also manages.
    kinda in the ghetto tho. but nice guys.

If the gate is closed call the number.
    hours is 10am-5pm M-F

I just got back in to shooting. There are no real good stores here anymore.
    They mostly have high end stuff and everything good has to be ordered.
    I guess its good for the professionals. but for the average Joe or cheap Charlies like me there is swap meets and Gun Shows.

WGS is also a good shop. as well as Security, Young Guns. OGC and Gunsource.

I got a bad taste at KGS. The guy was rude to me and that was my first time there.
    Last edited by speedtek; November 14th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

Cool Re: What's your favorite gun store?

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I know the owner of Kaneohe Gun Shop. We went to high school together, and while I wouldn't call him a friend, we're at least friendly enough to have socialized a few times. I've heard him deliver his spiel a couple of times, and while I think he's a bit verbose, it's clear the guy knows his stuff, takes his stuff seriously, and won't rip you off. I don't think I'll ever buy a gun, but if I do, it will be from Daniel.
    That's my huckeleberry! Dealed me out a time and again when the sherrif was breathing down my neck....

I usually do the range on the crater past Hawaii Kai for practice.
    Security Arms downtown is a GREAT training facility; even got my wife to like guns!?!

Young Guns is a good place to buy or learn about buying.

QEDK
    Last edited by Kaonohi; November 15th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
    ~ ~

That's my huckeleberry! Dealed me out a time and again when the sherrif was breathing down my neck....

I usually do the range on the crater past Hawaii Kai for practice.
    Security Arms downtown is a GREAT training facility; even got my wife to like guns!?!

Young Guns is a good place to buy or learn about buying.

QEDK
    Dan from Kaneohe Gun is a very good guy. He would do FFL transfers from Ebay back in the day. Young Guns is also a very good shop. I've bought a lot of stuff from them.

Wow, I didn't even notice this thread got resurrected

Quote Originally Posted by speedtek View Post
    Brian is in charge of Magnum now....
    Heh, yeah. Now that Ong has been convicted for evading payment of over $600,000 in taxes. March will bring interesting news.

Brian's OK. He once tried to convince me a Gen 3 RTF Glock was a Gen 4, though.

There is a new shop in Waipahu

X-ring Security & Firearms
    Cool. Thanks for the tip!

I just got back in to shooting.
    Awesome. Welcome back

I took a break for a while also. Then a friend asked me to help zero his rifle. The smell of gunpowder got me all jonesing again. Of course, shooting on a static firing line doesn't compare to the stuff they do on the mainland.

I tried skeet & trap shooting a while back. Man that was fun. Such a nice change of pace, doing instinctive shooting, instead of concentrating on sights.

I got a bad taste at KGS. The guy was rude to me and that was my first time there.
    Hahaha, I know what you're talking about. Dan's a good guy, BUT he's rough around the edges. He dispenses with all pleasantries; he won't greet a customer nor acknowledge their presence, until they ask a question.

If you want no-BS advice on self defense, it's worth listening to what he has to say.

Wow, your wife? Congratulations!

Security Arms...I'm not familiar with that place. They have an indoor range?

Quote Originally Posted by 808shooter View Post
    Dan from Kaneohe Gun is a very good guy.
    Yeah, he's a solid guy. Just rough around edges. If you ask him about one of his pet peeves, he'll stand on the soap box all day and ignore customers. Cracks me up.
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; December 1st, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
    "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast