Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel to Tokyo

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Thank you!! I love your blog! You have to tell me where the neko kissaten (cat cafe) was, because that place is at the top of my *things to see* list. All the guidebooks steer tourists to pretty much the same stuff. meh. And I checked out the places you stayed at online. Of the two, which was your favorite?
    Not a problem! I hated how all of the guidebooks say the same basic thing. I tried to go to as many offbeat places as possible.

The Cat Cafe was one of the places I got lost trying to find and had to step aside on the street and fumble with my map for a good ten minutes. If I remember correctly, when you leave Akihabara station, going straight, you'll reach one street, and then you want to turn right, and at the next intersection go left, and then right on the next street. So it's the second street over from the train station, running parallel to the tracks, on the right hand side of the street. You'll have to pay close attention to the buildings because it doesn't have a sign that sticks out or anything, but you'll know it right away because the door handle is shaped like a cat's paw. The Akihabara Wikitravel page gives this information:

Neko JaLaLa (ねこJaLaLa), 東京都千代田区外神田3-5-5 1F (8 mins from Akihabara station: on the next main road west after Chuo-doori, about 7 or 8 blocks north of the Chuo railway line. Look for a brown sliding door with a cat's foot), ☎ 03-3258-2525 (shop@nekojalala.com), [13]. 11AM-7PM. A recent phenomenon in Tokyo has been the rise of 'cat cafes': you play with the shop's (very clean) cats while drinking tea. You'll be asked to remove your shoes and wash your hands on entry. You'll also be gently pressured to order one of their drinks. It's a different experience. ¥500 for first 30 minutes, then ¥150 for each ten minutes. Drinks are ¥300 to ¥500.

Speaking of guidebooks, these are the two I took with me to Tokyo and found very useful:

Tokyo Subway Guidebook

Tokyo City Atlas

As far as the places I stayed, they each had their pros and cons:

Khaosan Tokyo Annex
    Pros:
    Good location -- lots of restaurants, 99 yen store, really beautiful temple and outdoor marketplace, onsen
    Free internet use in lobby with several computers
    Heated toilets
    Some free wi-fi
    Bike rental
    Kitchen w/stove, microwave, fridge, etc
    TV in lobby
    Helpful staff

Cons:
    Difficult to find the first time
    Certain floors don't have wi-fi
    Private rooms more expensive

New Koyo
    Pros:
    Easy to find
    Close to train station
    Helpful staff
    Free wi-fi in rooms
    TV in room
    Ofuro
    Futon bed available
    Single rooms affordable
    Kitchen with stove/microwave/sink/free tea!

Cons:
    Rooms can be chilly
    Not as much around
    Single computer in lobby costs money after 15 min use

I've always said that if I go back to Tokyo to visit I would stay in the New Koyo, because I like the atmosphere of it, especially the bath and futon, but I'm also really glad I stayed at the Khaosan because Asakusa is a wonderful neighborhood. Honestly, if you're staying more than a few days I recommend splitting your stay between multiple hotels, because that gives you a chance to experience more.
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Hey, Sophie, what was the average price per night on those places? Are the prices quoted on their website fairly accurate, or do you have to call and ask about current prices? Both of your hotel recommendations sound really cool, and got me started on researching places to stay. I like your advice about moving around to multiple hotels!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Even if you're on a diet - you MUST try the Japanese pastry shops! There is nothing like them. Those are one of my fondest memories of the food experiences I had there. and yes, try the simple little food places - they are very good. If a place looks clean & neat - try it
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
          Buy a good Tokyo map and Subway guide and you should be okay. I'd recommend getting a PASMO or SUICA subway card. Can be used on all the subways and above ground trains, and I believe on the busses as well. It doesn't save you any money like a 1-day pass, it just makes it easier than fumbling for correct fare all of the time.
          Assuming you will be flying into Narita airport, I would recommend spending a little more and taking the Narita Express into Tokyo. You'll save a lot of time and hassle compared to taking the regular train. Plus, they have a Suica & NEX special. I did this the last time and you spend 3500 yen for about 5000 yen's worth of service.

Suica is basically one of two smart card forms of transit payment. Too bad our The Bus hasn't reached that level of sophistication yet. Not fumbling for change is a godsend when you are lugging baggage around.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/suica_nex.html

Comment

i think you'll find this website to be helpful: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623.html

lots of info and links; i think a good hostel is the way to go; u get to meet a lot of interesting travellers...

of course, keep a detailed journal and take tons of digital pics; i'm sure you'll have a very memorable time
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              Even if you're on a diet - you MUST try the Japanese pastry shops! [...]
              I think I can safely say TG isn't on a diet and can safely devour all the great Japanese pastries she'd like. I think I'll hate on her for that!

Have 2 for me, TG!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I think I can safely say TG isn't on a diet and can safely devour all the great Japanese pastries she'd like. I think I'll hate on her for that!
                Hahahahaha!! Its okay, hate away. Its not my fault! My parents were a twig and a willow tree! Oh, and I think Im part stork from somewhere in the family tree....
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Here's some info on the toliet situation for ya.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                  X