Turkey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey!

Since it's the season, what's the best turkey recipe you have? Not just for the whole bird itself but for leftovers? and, for fun, any turkey disaster stories you'd like to throw in. I'm thinking of trying something a little more adventurous than the normal (for me) brined turkey stuffed with onion, celery, lemon, white wine and roasted.

Re: Turkey!

<drool!>

I never have to cook the dinner. At most I contribute one dish. Still, I miss the leftovers. In the past I've ordered the complete dinner from Foodland to pick up the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas. I make a half dozen or so TV style dinners for the freezer, fill a gallon baggie with turkey breast slices for future sandwiches and the rest, including everything but the pumpkin pie and rolls, gets made into soup. It's actually more like a stew and it's always yum. I have 2 dutch ovens to accomplish this messy job. My freezer works overtime for a few months!

Comment

since I don't have a working oven, I'm trying a new recipe: Turkey Breast with Sage & dried cranberry dressing, done in the crock-pot. I have a 4 lb bone-in turkey breast, cornbread stuffing mix and some Knorr turkey gravy mix to use. I'm just going to do some green beans with it and have a nice little Pinot Noir to drink. The book says it takes 7-9 hrs at low heat. We'll see how it goes! I should have lots of leftovers & will use them for sandwiches, curry and of course the bone will get frozen until new year's when I will make Jook.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Jason always fries our turkeys. I thought that would be nasty, like fried chicken as a turkey, but it's really good. It keeps the turkey from getting dried out and it's not battered. We did it once last year when we lived there and all our neighbors liked it so much we ended up having to do it twice more- for Thanksgiving and Christmas! I know he uses Peanut oil, beer, and Tony Lawrey's. Mmm.

He even got TG to take a teeny little taste.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Oh, anapuni, thanx for reminding me. I will be eating turkey day out this year, but I did love the jook last year, so I need a turkey carcass. I guess I will either get one from my friend, or just get a turkey to roast and freeze.

Wonder if you can make jook from a chicken carcass?

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post

Wonder if you can make jook from a chicken carcass?
            Oh yes you can! I dunno why it didn't occur to me until a couple years ago but now I make jook from chicken now and again instead of having to wait til I have a turkey carcass

Comment

Thanks, Anapuni, that crock pot idea sounds great!

I bought one of those $3.99 turkeys from Safeway. I'm going to cut it into pieces and roast only the legs, wings and bones. We'll eat the legs, and I'll save the wings and bones for stew or jook. I'll try Anapuni's recipe for the breast.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                since I don't have a working oven, [...]
                Won't the landlord get it fixed?

Comment

he would if I really pushed the issue. so far it hasn't been a problem. plus, i live in an "ohana" unit so we do things a little differently than if i lived in a regular apt. building.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

though this year I am not doing any cooking, what I prefer to do is brine the bird first and foremost. And I like to use apple juice and a lot of sage, brown sugar, salt, and lemon. Let the bird go for a bout 24hours. this works great with pork too.

For cooking, cook breast side down(in a v-rack), all the juices flow into the breast meat, self basting. Flip the bird for the final 20min or so and put under a broiler to get the skin potato chip crispy.
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                      though this year I am not doing any cooking, what I prefer to do is brine the bird first and foremost. And I like to use apple juice and a lot of sage, brown sugar, salt, and lemon. Let the bird go for a bout 24hours. this works great with pork too.

For cooking, cook breast side down(in a v-rack), all the juices flow into the breast meat, self basting. Flip the bird for the final 20min or so and put under a broiler to get the skin potato chip crispy.

Tat, I need you to turn a little Alton Brown for me.... to brine it takes moisture out of the turkey, to be replaced by the flavors of the apple juice, sage, brown sugar, salt, and lemon? I have some great little pork roasts in the freezer to try it with.

Comment

Does everyone roast their turkey in a rack or has anyone tried placing the turkey on root veggies and roasting? I am interested in trying the later (having seen a recipe for it in a magazine) but am worried about the veggies burning or getting way over done before the turkey is done.

Comment

Working...
                        X