Oprah calling it quits in 2011!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oprah calling it quits in 2011!

It's official and confirmed. The most influential personality on television for over two decades will be wrapping up her talk show on Sept. 9, 2011, almost 25 years to the day that her hugely successful program began. While Oprah's business empire stretches everywhere these days (Harpo Productions, book club, magazine, online store, charitable foundations, etc.), all of it sprang from the popularity of her talk show.

While not the equal of Phil Donahue (or even Barbara Walters) when it came to delivering interviews that were hard-hitting and revealing, there's no question that during the run of her show, she's had more success than anyone else in landing the biggest and most elusive celebrities onto her stage.

Her show's days may be numbered, but at 55, I don't think Oprah's time in the media spotlight will end anytime soon.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Oprah calling it quits in 2011!

Maybe she'll run for office --- against Lou Dobbs!

Comment

2011?
      Then, it's Oprah & Palin in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        2011?
        Hmmm.
        That's if the world doesn't end on 12/21/12....

Interesting, 122112, almost like a binary code, but is it 011001 or 100110?
        And what's it all mean?

(Beware spoiled potty-talk)
        "What's it all mean, Mr. Natural?"
        Mr. N: It don't mean SHIT!

Oprah=Harpo Palin=Nilap? Harponilap?

Never mind, I've been watching too many Ron Howard movies and reading too many Dan Brown Novels.

K (code for Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku )
        Last edited by helen; November 19, 2009, 07:03 PM. Reason: fixing the spoiler tag
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          2011?
          Nah...I'd wager on Obama/Oprah, tho'. Well, not a veep spot for Oprah but some other political appointment by Obama should a 2nd term be in his future. Oprah doesn't have to work another day in her life. And, she's not the type to retire and do nuthin' (like I'd be happy doing!). It's going to be very interesting to see what path she follows...or leads...as the case may be!

Comment

Oprah is a wonderful woman, I admire and respect her. But I can understand why she thinks it's time to move on.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Oprah Winfrey Network
                And it's replacing the Discovery Health Channel...one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  I'll believe it when I see it.
                  I think Oprah has too much respect for her audience to hype an 18 month farewell campaign on her syndicated talk show, only to climax into..... the same old talk show debuting on her new network. If she resurfaces as the host of another program in the future, I'm willing to bet that it will be something quite different from the Oprah Winfrey Show that has become an institution on daytime TV, if ever there was one.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

She ain't going anywhere...

It's two more years and then off to another channel.

The only worthwhile thing she's done is help getting Obama elected.

Thank you, Oprah, now go away.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ouch, Ron. The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa she started and built isn't worthwhile? The Angel Network isn't worthwhile? Her help and investment in the victims of Katrina isn't worthwhile? And on and on and on...

If you don't like her show, that's fine. But "go away"...to someone who has given so much? Harsh...

Comment

She also became the most influential and powerful woman in the book business. One word from Oprah and tens of thousands of people read Steinbeck's East of Eden, many of them people who might not otherwise have read the classic novel. The literati had already read Toni Morrison's Beloved, probably the greatest American novel of the past twenty five years, but most of your people on the street hadn't. Oprah's calling attention to it was huge for a lot of people.

So maybe it is you who should "go away."
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          Ouch, Ron. The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa she started and built isn't worthwhile? The Angel Network isn't worthwhile? Her help and investment in the victims of Katrina isn't worthwhile? And on and on and on...
                          And with that post, you have made a convincing argument about someone who was more deserving than the President for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Not that she personally needs the prize money, of course. But the Nobel is one of those awards that are so internationally prestigious, it would have caught the attention of millions around the world who are not regularly exposed to her show. Any added publicity and recognition that can be given to Oprah's charities and causes beyond what her media machine can generate is only positive.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          She also became the most influential and powerful woman in the book business. One word from Oprah and tens of thousands of people read Steinbeck's East of Eden, many of them people who might not otherwise have read the classic novel.
                          Yep, but as the James Frey fiasco shows, that ability to singlehandedly turn books into bestsellers can be a double-edged sword.

Comment

Undoubtedly. I love that James Frey brought her back to earth. Oprah's not Jesus. She's fallible, and as capable of being taken as the rest of us. Doesn't keep her from continuing to try.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: She ain't going anywhere...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              The only worthwhile thing she's done is help getting Obama elected.
                              You get a car, and you get a car....

Comment

Working...
                              X