Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are Mom and Pop smoking pot?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Maybe it's because I was never a big Cheap Trick fan. But the first song about parents and pot that comes to my mind is Smoke Two Joints.
    I was singing "Pass the Dutchie" to myself....old school... but I do love Sublime...

IF it was legal, I'd smoke. California has half-@$$ed marijuana laws... they say we can get MM, then county mounties come bust the dispensaries. Every day, I read another news report in my area about some crackdown... Today, it's all of affluent Lake Forest under attack.

It's not worth the hassle to me, or the $125 sign-up fees to waste for nothing. I'll just live with my chronic pain, and subsequent insomnia. Maybe when my grandkids are voters, they'll sort this mess out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless Pilgrim View Post
      When I was coming of age, the correct terminology for Hogging was Bogarting. As in "Hey, don't Bogart those chips man."
      Oh, c'mon, folks. Don't tell me you've forgotten "Don't Bogart That Joint" from 1969, first played in the "Easy Rider" movie!

Don't Bogart That Joint
      Lyrics: Lawrence Wagner
      Music: Elliot Ingber

Played by Little Feat's Paul Barrere and Bill Payne with Phil & Friends. The original verson (on the soundtrack of "Easy Rider") was by Fraternity Of Man. It was subsequently covered by Little Feat.

Chorus
      Don't bogart that joint my friend
      Pass it over to me
      Don't bogart that joint my friend
      Pass it over to me

Roll another one
      Just like the other one
      You've been holding on to it
      And I sure will like a hit

[chorus]

Roll another one
      Just like the other one
      That one's burned to the end
      Come on and be a real friend

[chorus]

A three-minute clip is at this link.
      There you have it. The classic. The original. The lyrics that those of us of a certain age have sung a zillion times with our friends.
      WAIT. Go to this link for a video of Little Feat doing that song, but led off by them doing "Willin"!! Remember? "If you give me weed, whites and wine..."
      Last edited by LikaNui; November 24, 2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: Added the second link, just for you!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ayeeee! Shame on me for forgetting one of my all-time favorites! Jonathan Edwards and "Shanty", as seen at this link.
        "We're gonna lay around the shanty, mama, and put a good buzz on".
        Heh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ah yes I member dem days all too well...not only whites and wine but also some blacks and a 40 of Mickey's and we were good to go surfing at Ala Moana.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
            I was singing "Pass the Dutchie" to myself....old school... but I do love Sublime....
            Sublime version's of Smoke Two Joints merely sounds okay. The original arrangement by the Toyes smokes it, pardon the pun. One of the ten greatest reggae recordings of all time.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

FM!! Thanks so much for that link!! I LOVE it! Made me kick back and go "yeeeah, wow!"
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I have expounded endlessly upon the ignorance of the WoDrugs in general.

But it boils down to these two questions......

1) If drugs were legal, would you start using?

2) Do you think a "user" ever stopped cuz of laws?

This invokes a logic conundrum that cannot be resolved, except for those who choose to avoid logic. Logic is religion to folks like me.

Logically minded individuals understand clearly that the War on Drugs is a farce.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

the war on drugs, is like fighting for peace. . . or f*&kng for virginity. It makes no sense and is a waste of taxpayer dollars and resources. Put the money to better causes.
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                    I'll just live with my chronic pain, and subsequent insomnia.
                    Lucky me, I don't have insomnia, but I can tell you first hand that living with chronic pain is not living!
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless Pilgrim View Post
                      When I was coming of age, the correct terminology for Hogging was Bogarting. As in "Hey, don't Bogart those chips man."
                      I always thought that the trem "Bogart" - in relation to joints, anway - cam from the screen habit of Humphrey Bogartto hold on to his cigarettes rather than placing then in an ashtray.

Seemed like a signature affect of his.

Now, on to Google and Snopes to see if I'm right!
                      ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        I always thought that the trem "Bogart" - in relation to joints, anway - cam from the screen habit of Humphrey Bogartto hold on to his cigarettes rather than placing then in an ashtray.

Seemed like a signature affect of his.

Now, on to Google and Snopes to see if I'm right!
                        Urban Dictionary:
                        "(slang verb) To keep something all for oneself, thus depriving anyone else of having any. A slang term derived from the last name of famous actor Humphrey Bogart because he often kept a cigarette in the corner of his mouth, seemingly never actually drawing on it or smoking it. Often used with weed or joints but can be applied to anything."

Couldn't find anythind useful in snopes.
                        ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                          So here is a topic to bring up around the Thanksgiving table, especially if you have an 50-59 year old friends, parents, or others enjoying the meal with you.
                          ... along with the special brownies for dessert.

Everything I've read says that smoking pot is as least as bad as smoking anything else. But I bet everything goes better with chocolate...

Over a decade ago I worked with a Navy captain who was PACOM's liaison with the drug war. A Vietnam vet, wore the Legion of Merit as a junior officer, had a habit of explaining uncomfortable truths to admirals, made John Wayne look like PeeWee Herman. When he started the tour he'd bought into the idea that marijuana was fueling the drug industry and encouraging addiction to stronger drugs. After a couple years of working with the DEA and the Coast Guard he realized that chasing marijuana was just a distraction. By the end of his tour he was ready to treat marijuana like alcohol or tobacco: legalize it and tax the heck out of it.
                          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                            Thank you Kaonohi. I subscribe to the theory that "you learn something new every day", and now I've met today's quota.
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I wonder where "puff, puff, pass" came along? Or is that just a common courtesy with anything passable?
                              flickr

An email from God:
                              To: People of Earth
                              Date: 9/04/2007
                              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                                [...]By the end of his tour he was ready to treat marijuana like alcohol or tobacco: legalize it and tax the heck out of it.
                                I've been preaching this for 40 years and I'm not, and never have been, a user/smoker/toker/whatever!

Comment

Working...
                                X